Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH using Timatic database at FRA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Question LH using Timatic database at FRA

Traveling will become increasingly difficult again (Brexit, Trump ....) and Timatic will be an even more important tool (for those not put off by traveling altogether).

LCC are known for turning away customers on vague arguments, but could one expect with LH group airlines that what is stated in Timatic is strictly applied and one can count on that ? Anybody had problems in delicate cases where conditions can differentiated with country of residence and family status ? Perhaps could our dear oliver2002 enlighten us about his experiences with the practice .

From my experience in ZRH the LX contracted staff are rather good and proactive in finding the right rule, which can not be said of the many poorly trained "Kantonspolizei" border officers , who can make entering the Schengen space a pain.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Timatic is there exactly for that purpose, why would airlines invent additional rules?

Timatic has a clear annotation regarding the suspension of the ban:

Code:
>TIRV/NADAM/ARBER/EMFRA/DEWAS
TIMATIC-3 / 06FEB17 / 1523 UTC                                                  
NATIONAL SYRIA (SY)             /RESIDENCE GERMANY (DE)                         
EMBARKATION GERMANY (DE)        /DESTINATION USA (US)                           

VISA DESTINATION USA (US)                                                       

...... NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ......                                             
PASSPORT REQUIRED.                                                              
- PASSPORTS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED FOR ENTRY MUST BE                      
  VALID FOR A MINIMUM OF 6 MONTHS BEYOND THE PERIOD OF                          
>MDTI                                                                           
>m
  INTENDED STAY.                                                                
PASSPORT EXEMPTIONS:                                                            
- PASSENGERS WITH AN AUTHORIZATION FOR PAROLE OF AN ALIEN INTO                  
  THE UNITED STATES (FORM I-512).                                               
- PASSENGERS WITH A TEMPORARY OR EMERGENCY PASSPORT.                            

VISA REQUIRED, EXCEPT FOR PASSENGERS WITH AN AUTHORIZATION FOR                  
PAROLE OF AN ALIEN INTO THE UNITED STATES (FORM I-512).                         
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:                                                         
- A PASSENGER MAY ENTER THE USA WITH A VALID VISA IN AN                         
>MDTI                                                                           
>m
  EXPIRED PASSPORT, PROVIDED >TIDFT/US/VI/AI/ID42974                            
- VISITORS ARE REQUIRED TO HOLD PROOF OF SUFFICIENT FUNDS TO                    
  COVER THEIR STAY AND DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THEIR NEXT                        
  DESTINATION.                                                                  
- BEGINNING STUDENTS HOLDING "F", "J" OR "M" STUDENT/EXCHANGE                   
  VISITOR VISAS >TIDFT/US/VI/AI/ID49644                                         

SIMPLIFY YOUR REQUEST USE TIFA, TIFV AND TIFH                                   
FULL TEXT AVAILABLE USE TIDFT                                                   
CHECK >TINEWS/N1 - USA: EXECUTIVE ORDER IS SUSPENDED.                           
>MDTI                                                                           
>m

SCAN COMPLETE                                                                   
>                                                                               
>TINEWS/N1
TIMATIC-3 / 06FEB17 / 1523 UTC                                                  
CURRENT NEWS   (N1)                                                             

USA: EXECUTIVE ORDER IS SUSPENDED.                                              
THE EXECUTIVE ORDER ESTABLISHING ENTRY RESTRICTIONS IN THE USA                  
FOR PASSENGERS WITH A PASSPORT ISSUED BY IRAN, IRAQ, LIBYA,                     
SOMALIA, SUDAN, SYRIA OR YEMEN HAS BEEN SUSPENDED ON 3                          
FEBRUARY 2017.                                                                  

TEXT DISPLAY COMPLETE                                                           
>                                                                               
>
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Timatic is there exactly for that purpose, why would airlines invent additional rules?

Timatic has a clear annotation regarding the suspension of the ban:
I had my fun with Timatic on the BKK-RGN segments (in MUC as well), nothing clear about that situation then :-).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by behuman
LCC are known for turning away customers on vague arguments, but could one expect with LH group airlines that what is stated in Timatic is strictly applied and one can count on that ? Anybody had problems in delicate cases where conditions can differentiated with country of residence and family status ? Perhaps could our dear oliver2002 enlighten us about his experiences with the practice .
Don't need a strictly interpreted Timatic for LH to cause problems. A few months ago there was a thread here about their interpretation of a valid passport....
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by behuman
which can not be said of the many poorly trained "Kantonspolizei" border officers , who can make entering the Schengen space a pain.
Kantonspolizei (=state police) is not using Timatic, AFAIK. They have their own system. Now while I agree that many are not proficient in English, I have no indication they would not know immigration rules ...
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Kantonspolizei (=state police) is not using Timatic, AFAIK. They have their own system. Now while I agree that many are not proficient in English, I have no indication they would not know immigration rules ...
Swiss border police are mentioned only on a side note. They tend to make conclusions regarding the myriad of Schengen documents (admittedly not easy for them) instead of checking in their handbook where the (complex) rules and documents are explained.

The importance of Timatic upon (not) boarding a plane is to determine if it is IDB or compensation. My point would be it being IDB when Timatic rules are fulfilled. I am correct?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is the argument.

A carrier would argue that it has reasonably denied boarding under EC 261/2004 if it has relied on TIMATIC which is simply a database containing statutes, rules, and regulations supplied by governments around the world to IATA and then cataloged by IATA into a searchable form.

The issue will always be what is "reasonable" under the circumstances and while people on FT love to argue, I would be interested in actual precedential court decisions finding that reliance on TIMATIC is not reasonable.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lufthansa outstation can call a Bundespolizei Hotline in FRA if/when they have any doubt interpreting the timatic guidelines (and the passenger is rather pesky about the denied boarding). The BuPo takes a look at the documents, the PNR and then gives a preliminary ok or denial. This information is then entered into the PNR for records. But for that you need time. So if you show for checkin 2h before departure you may have a chance before they close the flight, 60-70min before you will most certainly not make it.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Lufthansa outstation can call a Bundespolizei Hotline in FRA if/when they have any doubt interpreting the timatic guidelines (and the passenger is rather pesky about the denied boarding).
That is an interesting insight as always from you oliver2002 - learned so many things from you. Shows that LH has procedures in place to treat its customers correctly.

My case was leaving FRA to the UK, which with all those Brexit stories becomes an unpleasant place. Theoretically EU rules still apply to the UK and Timatic reflects this in the case of EU residence permits of EU family members.. But it was a pain in the ... in 2015 and 2016 already. The UK border is among the most unpleasant one can imagine - have not been to the US since 2002 and won't return anytime soon.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Theoretically EU rules still apply to the UK and Timatic reflects this in the case of EU residence permits of EU family members.. But it was a pain in the ... in 2015 and 2016 already
EU Residence Cards are usually not enough - you need an UK-issued EEA Family Permit to board a flight to the UK.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
That is the argument.

A carrier would argue that it has reasonably denied boarding under EC 261/2004 if it has relied on TIMATIC which is simply a database containing statutes, rules, and regulations supplied by governments around the world to IATA and then cataloged by IATA into a searchable form.

The issue will always be what is "reasonable" under the circumstances and while people on FT love to argue, I would be interested in actual precedential court decisions finding that reliance on TIMATIC is not reasonable.
Using faulty tools does not waive your lability.
behuman likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
EU Residence Cards are usually not enough - you need an UK-issued EEA Family Permit to board a flight to the UK.
I am afraid you are only partially right dear warakorn, if the EU residence card is the one of a EU family member, this entitles him/her to enter the UK, the EEA family permit is optional in this case. The ECO after verification will then affix a 1A stamp in the passport of the third country national.

At least in theory !

Given the headache this rule caused, from IDB, lost slots, delays to long discussions with ECO's, I am happy that the UK finally goes its own way. Got a 10 years UK visa for my spouse which costed me GBP 822 (this is not a joke) ! A sensible thing would be to boycott such a country if not for compelling reasons.

source: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...residence-card

Last edited by behuman; Feb 20, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:02 am
Suspended

As stated in the parallel thread -> If the Home Office issued a letter to Lufthansa / Timatic that all Non-EU citizen (without a visa waiver agreement) require to have an UK Entry Clearance document or UK-issued Residence Card, then that's it. LH is forced to deny boarding for pax without it. Pax may take it up with the UK Government - not LH.

I mean, do you think airlines are denying pax just out-of-fun? Do you think at Timatic only a bunch of idiots are working for?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:05 am
Suspended

I am afraid you are only partially right dear warakorn, if the EU residence card is the one of a EU family member, this entitles him/her to enter the UK, the EEA family permit is optional in this case. The ECO after verification will then affix a 1A stamp in the passport of the third country national.

At least in theory !
Yes, but this is an issue that the Non-EU individual needs to sort out/litigate it with the UK Government.
The airline is just a third party, who should not be involved in that.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Question TIMATIC means nothing then

Originally Posted by warakorn
Yes, but this is an issue that the Non-EU individual needs to sort out/litigate it with the UK Government.
The airline is just a third party, who should not be involved in that.
Are you working for an airline dear warakorn ? Nothing at all has to be sorted out / litigated in this case, it is LH group contractors doing document checks who in their due diligence should follow TIMATIC rules and in the case of the famous family member residence permit TIMATIC states:

"Visa required.
Visa Exemptions:
Family members of a national of an EEA Member State, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, with a "Permanent Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen" or a "Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen" issued by Italy. They must travel with or travel to join the Union Citizen.

Passengers with an EEA Family Permit issued by the United Kingdom if the holder is traveling with, or to join the nationals of an EEA Member State, Switzerland or the United Kingdom."

The EEA family permit (which is a pain to be issued) is just an option and of course preferred by overworked ECO's. (Italy as issuing country is just an example as one has to feed this information to TIMATIC)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.