Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agent booked wrong airport for award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Agent booked wrong airport for award ticket

I called for 2 round trip tickets from either "Charlotte or Dulles." Ultimately, she *said* she found one at "Dulles." Unfortunately, she meant DALLAS
I used the airport code IAD *at least* twice. I talked about how I live in Virginia and would drive 4 hours to Dulles. Nonetheless she kept saying "Dulles" and meant Dallas. She never said Texas or DFW. She never said "DAllas," only "DUlles" I'm a native speaker of English; she sounded as if from India/subcontinent Asia.

I found out only after I get home from work and see the email confirmation. Of course, it's 8:01 pm EST when I call, and the service center is closed. I made the booking at maybe 8:10 am.

What are my chances of getting a full refund of points, taxes, AND without @$120 fee? I assume I should ask for some CSR manager ASAP tomorrow morning?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Confoosed
..What are my chances of getting a full refund of points, taxes, AND without @$120 fee?..
Inside of 24 hours quite excellent. You may loose the booking fee though.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The call center you ended up in was either Peterborough near Toronto or Capetown, S.Africa.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:11 am
Original Poster

I called the German Miles and More service center after receiving that advice from talking to a regular booking person in Germany. I asked for an English speaker and was left on hold for 30 minutes, hung up, and called the Australia service center.

She said she needed special permission from Germany to waive the approx 50-euro-per-ticket cancellation fee, and she kept saying I was past the 24 hour period, which isn't possible since I booked it at 8am EST and I'm on the phone with her at 2:00am EST. I hung up after being left on hold while she needed to calculate time zones for 15 minutes.

Now waiting for the UK/IE lines to open up
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:54 am

..Now waiting for the UK/IE lines to open up
Aren't the German hotlines open 24/7?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:00 am
Original Poster

The agent from the IE line understood what happened & figured things out pretty quickly. She said since it's within 24 hours, everything would be refunded with no charge for cancellation. I was on hold for about 3 minutes, she came back and said she'd try to cancel it while I was on hold again for about another 5 minutes.

Reservation cancelled; all miles and taxes were refunded, and no changing fees applied since within 24 hours. G'night!

Originally Posted by weero
Aren't the German hotlines open 24/7?
They were open, but the 2 people I was connected to did not speak *English. When I asked for an English speaker, I was transferred off and never connected to anyone again.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:09 am

..They were open, but the 2 people I was connected to did not speak *English. When I asked for an English speaker, I was transferred off and never connected to anyone again.
That is relatively rude.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
That is relatively rude.
Given LH's advanced technology skill: Would you expect the agents to be able to press the right buttons?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Given LH's advanced technology skill: Would you expect the agents to be able to press the right buttons?
Ha, ha , ha. Never heard a better joke.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For what it is worth, as this was a ticket issued for a departure from the US, US law requires that the ticket be subject to cancellation without fee or penalty at least for a departure 7+ days out and if made within 24 hours of booking.

While it is absurd that in this day and age, to accomplish a simple cancellation, you are unable to dial a single number 24/7 and have your call routed to the most appropriate open location, the fact remains that if you do have trouble, send an email, webform, fax or other transmission with a time-stamp. It is your obligation to cancel within 24 hours. Not the carrier's obligation to be there. In that way, should an issue ever arise and a carrier balk, a simple DOT complaint (free webform submission) will solve the problem.

As a caution to avoid the waste of your time all of this occasioned, I would suggest that when booking over the phone, always carefully follow the read back or, if for some reason it is not offered, at the conclusion of the booking, ask to have the entire itinerary read back to you along with PNR(s). When an agent uses a city name, do confirm the airport code as well. It may annoy the agent, but the agent is not there to be your friend. This is a business transaction and the extra 1-2 minutes is for a reason.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:33 am
Original Poster

That is relatively rude.
To clarify any miscommunication, I said to the German CSRs, " Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut. Sprechen Sie Englisch?" They said, "Nein, kleine moment."
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:44 am
pav

Programs: LH Sen, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
[..]
As a caution to avoid the waste of your time all of this occasioned, I would suggest that when booking over the phone, always carefully follow the read back or, if for some reason it is not offered, at the conclusion of the booking, ask to have the entire itinerary read back to you along with PNR(s). When an agent uses a city name, do confirm the airport code as well. It may annoy the agent, but the agent is not there to be your friend. This is a business transaction and the extra 1-2 minutes is for a reason.
Words of reason ^
What I would also suggest (and what I do myself) - always NATO-spell passenger names, cities and airport codes and ask the agent to read those back to you.
This of course adds up a bit of time spent on the reservation process but has never failed me to date.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by pav
Words of reason ^
What I would also suggest (and what I do myself) - always NATO-spell passenger names, cities and airport codes and ask the agent to read those back to you.
This of course adds up a bit of time spent on the reservation process but has never failed me to date.
I've booked award flights a few times by calling the LH Athens office and everything went smoothly. I clearly remember that when we were ready to finalise the booking, their agent repeated everything, NATO spelling the names of the passengers and the airports without me asking for it
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I called for 2 round trip tickets from either "Charlotte or Dulles." Ultimately, she *said* she found one at "Dulles." Unfortunately, she meant DALLAS
I used the airport code IAD *at least* twice. I talked about how I live in Virginia and would drive 4 hours to Dulles. Nonetheless she kept saying "Dulles" and meant Dallas. She never said Texas or DFW. She never said "DAllas," only "DUlles"
Ah I remember watching Die Hard 2 as a little kid and being confused as to why the airport for DC was in TX
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:07 am

You can also ask them to send the itinerary by mail. That is the default at SK and AMEX and very painless. Actually much better than spelling contests...

i find it also easier to spot check any date issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.