Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Ticket, first leg on United - what is the checked bag allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter any more?
LH Ticket, first leg on United - what is the checked bag allowance?

If this is covered elsewhere on an existing thread - please point me so I can close this and go there. I searched but didn't see any that apply.

A family member is traveling on a H class economy fare SFO-BOS-FRA-BLR. The flight is on LH 'stock' (the ticket begins with a 220 #) but the first leg is SFO-BOS on United, with the rest on LH Metal under LH codes.

It appears from looking at the United site, the traveler is entitled to
- 1 checked bag up to 23kg on SFO-BOS
- 2 checked bags, each up to 23kg on BOS-FRA-BLR.

Is this correct? Or can he check in 2 checked bags of 23kg each at SFO?

United seems to be charging 100$ for the second checked bag based on what the United site says. FWIW the traveler is Star Alliance Silver - though that has no relevance to United when it comes to checked bags.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:38 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by legionnaire
It appears from looking at the United site, the traveler is entitled to
- 1 checked bag up to 23kg on SFO-BOS
- 2 checked bags, each up to 23kg on BOS-FRA-BLR.
You're looking in the wrong place. Have a look into your electronic ticket und "baggage allowance" or your booking confirmation.

HTB.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, UA GLD, Marriott GLD, Hyatt GLD
From
https://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...373626#ancAbT8

Special baggage rules for travel to/from or across the USA

Under a consumer protection law issued by the US Department of Transportation, the following baggage rules apply to flights to/from or across the USA:

Consistent baggage rules apply to all parts of a journey to/from or across the USA. These include the free baggage allowance, the dimensions and weight of each of your bags, the level of any charges that may be incurred and hand luggage regulations.
The baggage rules set by the airline which is listed first on the ticket are those that usually apply here. If Lufthansa is listed on the first flight segment of your ticket, then Lufthansa’s baggage regulations will apply to your entire journey(1) — both your outbound and your return flight.
However, any airline which is listed as the first carrier on the ticket is at liberty to transfer the baggage rule stipulation to another airline in the itinerary (the so-called ‘Most Significant Carrier’). In such a case that other airline’s rules would then apply to the entire journey.
Lufthansa therefore cannot guarantee that, for a Lufthansa-issued ticket, the Lufthansa baggage rules will always apply in every case. Other airlines often have baggage rules which differ from those of Lufthansa.

For details of the free baggage allowance applying to your individual flight, please see your ticket and the e-mail confirmation which you receive from Lufthansa.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

@phillykp, @htb - thanks much. Reading Lufthansa's page, since United is the 'marketing carrier' for the first leg though the ticket is a LH issued 220 stock ticket, United's policy applies. Ergo, 1 checked bag all the way SFO-BLR despite LH permitting two checked bags BOS-BLR. An additional checked bag will cost 100$. All bags under 50 lbs etc.

Thanks for the clarifications.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not so fast:

1. Are you certain that the marketing carrier of SFO-BOS is UA? While the segment is certainly operated by UA, it is odd that the ticket is issued by LH with a first segment marketed by another carrier. Could be, but worth double-checking.

2. Is the friend connecting at BOS or is that a stopover? If bags are checked to at least FRA, the friend will have the SFO-FRA allowance.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Are you certain that the marketing carrier of SFO-BOS is UA? While the segment is certainly operated by UA, it is odd that the ticket is issued by LH with a first segment marketed by another carrier. Could be, but worth double-checking.
How do I verify this? Looking at the eTicket,
  • its definitely a 220 ticket (LH stock)
  • The first leg definitely shows the UA flight # as UAnnn
  • Now that I look at it, it shows baggage allowance : SFO to BLR - 1 Piece UNITED AIRLINES , each piece up to 50 pounds/23 kilograms and up to 62 linear inches/158 linear centimeters. Prices of additional baggage pieces: 100.00 USD up to 50 pounds/23 kilograms and up to 62 linear inches/158 linear centimeters**

2. Is the friend connecting at BOS or is that a stopover? If bags are checked to at least FRA, the friend will have the SFO-FRA allowance
Its a stopover - he's stopping there for 18 hrs.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:25 pm

Does the ticket say stopover? Connections can be up to 24 hours. Check the ticket!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Does the ticket say stopover? Connections can be up to 24 hours. Check the ticket!
It's a connection.

I always hesitate to wade into these baggage rule discussions because the DOT and IATA rules are so vaguely worded, but it seems that the UA rule (1 free bag) is going to apply here because UA is the first carrier on the ticket.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a connection.

I always hesitate to wade into these baggage rule discussions because the DOT and IATA rules are so vaguely worded, but it seems that the UA rule (1 free bag) is going to apply here because UA is the first carrier on the ticket.
It does NOT explicitly say stopover ergo it's a connection. Sigh.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
How do I verify this? Looking at the eTicket,
  • its definitely a 220 ticket (LH stock)
  • The first leg definitely shows the UA flight # as UAnnn
  • Now that I look at it, it shows baggage allowance : SFO to BLR - 1 Piece UNITED AIRLINES , each piece up to 50 pounds/23 kilograms and up to 62 linear inches/158 linear centimeters. Prices of additional baggage pieces: 100.00 USD up to 50 pounds/23 kilograms and up to 62 linear inches/158 linear centimeters**

Anything under 24 hours is usually called connection...

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a connection.

LH usually has clear baggage allowances on their e-tickets, for each segment. At least all my tickets I can source over the past five years have that...

Example in attached image

It does NOT explicitly say stopover ergo it's a connection. Sigh.
Yes, it is connection.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vbroucek
LH usually has clear baggage allowances on their e-tickets, for each segment. At least all my tickets I can source over the past five years have that...
Yes that's what I was primarily going on:

Looking at the eTicket . . . it shows baggage allowance : SFO to BLR - 1 Piece UNITED AIRLINES , each piece up to 50 pounds/23 kilograms and up to 62 linear inches/158 linear centimeters. Prices of additional baggage pieces: 100.00 USD up to 50 pounds/23 kilograms and up to 62 linear inches/158 linear centimeters
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

How do things change if the pax's bid to upgrade through my offer on LH clears and he gets into Premium Economy? Does the checked bag limit on UA then change to 2 checked bags?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP had the answer all along. It is specified on the e-ticket receipt as required by DOT rule. One bag.

That happens to be correct. The marketing carrier of his first segment, SFO-FRA with an 18-hour connection at BOS, is UA and UA's allowance is one bag. That allowance will carry through to all segments on the ticket.

Because the connection time is 18 hours at BOS, UA may well require OP to check his bag to BOS and then check it with LH which should check it to BLR. If so, LH may grant OP his 2 bags just because it does. OP should not ask or argue.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

OP had the answer all along. It is specified on the e-ticket receipt as required by DOT rule. One bag.

That happens to be correct. The marketing carrier of his first segment, SFO-FRA with an 18-hour connection at BOS, is UA and UA's allowance is one bag. That allowance will carry through to all segments on the ticket.
Indeed, as I now realize. And, Thank you to all that patiently responded to my questions.

Because the connection time is 18 hours at BOS, UA may well require OP to check his bag to BOS and then check it with LH which should check it to BLR. If so, LH may grant OP his 2 bags just because it does. OP should not ask or argue.
That's what I've advised the family member. Of course, that does mean that they need to pack for one bag or pay the 100$ that United asks for at SFO for the second bag.

It is what it is, but at the end of the day, I don't see how the DOT rule helped when the MSC rule would have been more beneficial to the passenger.

I guess that's what you get from federal rule making.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

United allowed 2 checked bags at airport!

FWIW, family member reports that when checking their one bag at SFO, the United machine showed their entitlement as two checked bags! Of course, by then he had packed everything down to one checked bag and it was kind of useless.

The bag was only checked to BOS, He has to collect it and check it in again for FRA-BLR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.