Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade LH flight Brussels-Brasilia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade LH flight Brussels-Brasilia

Hey everyone,

I would like to book a return flight, Brussels-Brasilia and upgrade the outbound flight.

The itinerary would consist of Brussels-Frankfurt, Frankfurt-Rio, Rio-Brasilia. The first 2 legs operated by LH, the last by either Avianca or TAM.

For "just" €200 more, I could travel in Premium Economy, thus being able to upgrade to Business for 25.000 miles (Prem Econ G) / 30.000 (Prem Econ B).

It says however, that this only applies on LH operated flights, so I assume that on the last leg, so my Avianca/TAM leg will fall under regular economy conditions and that I should be cautious concerning luggage allowances, which were higher on my first 2 legs?

Should I wish to upgrade these flights, will I always be able to do so, and how can I know beforehand which booking class I will fall into? (e.g. the G or B). Moreover, will this upgrade be entirely be free of charge, or include additional taxes?

Any additional tips as to how to manage these upgrades in a better way would be greatly appreciated. My current mileage balance is 40.000

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:53 pm

You can view the booking class on LH.com (some OTA show it to). The lowest priced Y+ is often N-class so you won't be able to upgrade.

Luggage allowance should follow the most significant sector, so you should be ok on that front.

No additional fees for upgrades.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
As Lack has pointed out Premium Economy booking class N is not upgradable. G and E are. My guess is that a "cheap" upfare to Premium Economy might book into N which is not upgradable.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Too bad about the N fare. Would have been an ideal upgrade.

Edit: I've just checked and it is indeed N. Is it still worth flying Prem Econ in this case? I could buy an economy Y ticket, and spend 40k miles instead. In this case, the 3 legs should be upgraded in this case rather than just the 2 LH operated ones?

Last edited by Nominal; Jul 19, 2016 at 3:37 pm
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:18 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nominal
Too bad about the N fare. Would have been an ideal upgrade.

Edit: I've just checked and it is indeed N. Is it still worth flying Prem Econ in this case? I could buy an economy Y ticket, and spend 40k miles instead. In this case, the 3 legs should be upgraded in this case rather than just the 2 LH operated ones?
Frankfurt to Rio is a long overnight flight. If you can afford it I think it's worth flying Premium Economy. If you buy a Y ticket for BRU-FRA-GIG-BSB and spend 40k miles it only upgrades the FRA-GIG segment.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:22 pm

There was a bunch of good business class deals for Europe - South America. I'd suggest having a look at the mileage run forum, maybe something will suit your need.

All upgrades are on per-segment basis by the way. And if you're contemplating Y to Y+/C with miles keep in mind that there's minimum fare eligibility there too.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:23 am
Original Poster

If I upgrade the leg to rio (departing Frankfurt), but check my bags on the economy leg to FF, will I not get any priority luggage handling due to my luggage being tagged in Brussels and automatically carried further to my next flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.