Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent experience with short checking luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
I think a right question to ask is if they are able to enter Israel?

OP will have to prove they are eligible to enter IL as the ticket is to TLV.
Plus, with Israel as his final destination, authorities will be like triple checking his luggage if he suddenly "becomes sick".

If OP ever wants to visit Israel proper, he better prepares for some _slightly_ increased security checks if he does what he describes here.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Use “minconnect 6:00” on ITA Matrix to force a longer connection time.
Thank you!!!
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Plus, with Israel as his final destination, authorities will be like triple checking his luggage if he suddenly "becomes sick".

If OP ever wants to visit Israel proper, he better prepares for some _slightly_ increased security checks if he does what he describes here.
I've been to Israel but never short checked luggage (had layovers in ATL). The tighter security checks were done in ATL and in TLV.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
I think a right question to ask is if they are able to enter Israel?

OP will have to prove they are eligible to enter IL as the ticket is to TLV.
Why wouldn't I be?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by JustineG
Thank you!!!
ChocolateFactory,

Thank you for the suggestion. I found on Matrix a flight which makes the layover 29 hours but that combo doesn't show up on Lufthansasa or United. Is there a way to get that layover when booking you know?

Last edited by JustineG; Jun 25, 2021 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:04 pm

nevermind. found bookwithmatrix but sadly that combination doesn't appear to be available anywhere. i may be just better off paying $120 to mail my luggage. Thank you for telling me about ITAMatrix
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Why wouldn't I be?
We have no information regarding your citizenship.
At the moment, only Israeli citizens/residents and foreigners with several visa types are able to enter Israel.

If you purchase a LAX-MUC-TLV ticket, at LAX they would check for your documentation and if you are not eligible to enter Israel at that point you would be denied boarding straight at Los Angeles.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
We have no information regarding your citizenship.
At the moment, only Israeli citizens/residents and foreigners with several visa types are able to enter Israel.

If you purchase a LAX-MUC-TLV ticket, at LAX they would check for your documentation and if you are not eligible to enter Israel at that point you would be denied boarding straight at Los Angeles.
oops sorry. thought my profile said us on it. and you are right. it looks like tlv now made it that you cannot go there for tourism until aug 1. i didn't think an agent would check if i just showed the lax to muc ticket. i found a layover that is 29 hours. i thought that maybe in israel everything would be verified or on the flight that is muc to tlv.

i'll try to find another ticket. that flight would have said me over $1,000 i don't even care about checking in luggage since i can just get it shipped for $150.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
oops sorry. thought my profile said us on it. and you are right. it looks like tlv now made it that you cannot go there for tourism until aug 1. i didn't think an agent would check if i just showed the lax to muc ticket. i found a layover that is 29 hours. i thought that maybe in israel everything would be verified or on the flight that is muc to tlv.

i'll try to find another ticket. that flight would have said me over $1,000 i don't even care about checking in luggage since i can just get it shipped for $150.
Lufthansa's system is very smart and wouldn't let an agent do a fault like that. Whenever the agent inputs your LAX-MUC ticket and if you have a layover shorter than 24 hours, the agent would see that you have a connecting flight to TLV and the system wouldn't print any boarding passes until you met the entry conditions for Israel.

However, during a 29 hour layover, your bags wouldn't be checked through and your documentation for Israel wouldn't be checked at LAX.

If you're looking for a one-way flight from Los Angeles to Munich, Turkish Airlines has one-way fares starting from $520 but that's via Istanbul with checked baggage. Still as you're a US resident, you would be able to enter Germany and your bags would be through checked to Munich and you wouldn't have issues. Less risks involved, however, it wouldn't give you the convenience as a direct flight.

Definitely better than paying $380 for LH on a ticket that you would skip lag and pay $150 for an international shipment.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

No, that won’t work either. Your final destination on the ticket is checked. If you’re not permitted to enter you’ll be denied boarding. All of this seems remarkably over complicating what would otherwise be a simple LAX to MUC ticket.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly, this is a completely different situation than skiplagging on a US domestic ticket.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

Feel free to PM me, maybe I can find a way to book that ticket. With a 24+ hour layover at MUC, they probably wouldn't check if you're eligible for entering Israel and checking bags to MUC wouldn't be an issue.
JustineG likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Is there a limit for short-checking bags. Flying SFO-FRA-AMS with a 5hrs_50min connection in FRA, I would like to retrieve my bag in FRA. Do you think it is possible? Any recent experience with the agent at SFO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.