Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA-Euro transfer in FRA - still no security check?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
USA-Euro transfer in FRA - still no security check?

Just wondering whether Frankfurt still has the One-stop-security setup where arriving from the US and continuing to a Euro destination does not require security control. Basically I can get from the Z gates to the FCL in the A gates without going through security? Where would I need to clear immigration?

Thx
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Just wondering whether Frankfurt still has the One-stop-security setup where arriving from the US and continuing to a Euro destination does not require security control. Basically I can get from the Z gates to the FCL in the A gates without going through security? Where would I need to clear immigration?

Thx
Flights from the US usually arrive at Z gates and passengers deplane onto the departure (i.e. secure) level. Hence no need to go through security. You go down one floor to A departures through passport control. At certain times of the day I believe passport control near gate Z25 is open but otherwise it will be near gate Z13.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thanks NewbieRunner, just the info I was looking for. ^
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Flights from the US usually arrive at Z gates and passengers deplane onto the departure (i.e. secure) level. Hence no need to go through security. You go down one floor to A departures through passport control. At certain times of the day I believe passport control near gate Z25 is open but otherwise it will be near gate Z13.
Not true if you arrive in Z+ (level 3). You will have to go through passport & security when continuing from level 1 (A gates) or just security when flying from any Z gates (level 2) which just happened to me two weeks ago when arriving at Z58 and leaving from Z66.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:37 am

Where did you arrive from? Where a flight docks at Z, only flights from unsafe origin airports will deplane to level 4, and therefore require re-clearing security.

In all my flights from USA in the last year (6 in total) I have not had to re-clear security.

Last edited by 8420PR; May 1, 2016 at 4:15 am
Old May 1, 2016, 4:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Christefan
Not true if you arrive in Z+ (level 3). You will have to go through passport & security when continuing from level 1 (A gates) or just security when flying from any Z gates (level 2) which just happened to me two weeks ago when arriving at Z58 and leaving from Z66.
We are discussing arrivals from the US which is a 'clean' non-Schengen country along with Canada and the UK. Passengers arriving from the US can usually enter the terminal on Z departure level. If you check flight arrival information on lufthansa.com you will see for example (these are arrivals in Z this morning):

LH417 IAD-FRA Gate Z19
LH797 HKG-FRA Gate Z58A
LH401 JFK-FRA Gate Z54
LH443 DTW-FRA Gate Z52
LH573 JNB-FRA Gate Z62A
LH423 BOS-FRA Gate Z25
LH601 IKA-FRA Gate Z69A

The letter A after the gate number designates the arrival level (level 4) which is above Z departure gates on level 3. Note there is no level 4 in the old part of Z pier (gates Z11-Z25). As you will see all US arrivals in Z arrived on level 3 but non-US arrivals enter the terminal on level 4 and must clear security (and passport control if connecting to Schengen) before going to their departure gate.

Canada is now a one-stop security country but most flights from Canada (both AC and LH) arrive at B gates in FRA where it is not possible to avoid transfer security. Flights from the UK, another one-stop security country, usually use B gates but passengers on morning flights are usually taken to a gate (AEUW) where they can connect to another flight without re-clearing security. Some afternoon and evening flights from the UK arrive at a Z gate which also allow transfer without clearing security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.