Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:37 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I'm looking for First Class flights for two friends next January: We have the option to fly from Zurich to New York in First Class either via MUC or FRA.
Outbound options:
ZRH-FRA-(LH400 B748)-JFK
ZRH-FRA-(LH404 A346)-JFK
ZRH-MUC-(LH410 A346)-JFK

Inbound options:
JFK-(LH401 B748)-FRA-ZRH
JFK-(LH405 A346)-FRA-ZRH
JFK-(LH411 A346)-MUC-ZRH

Which flights would you suggest? I'm currently tending towards the B748 ones, since flying in the nose of a 747 is still quite iconic. I was quite surprised to see that there is no A388 service to JFK though

On the question on why I won't fly LX directly or over GVA: While I do love Swiss First Class, their FFP credits 100% more miles on LH F than LX F. Hence my tendency to LH. (The travelers need the miles to requalify for status)

Last edited by Nick Art; Dec 13, 2018 at 5:46 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I'm doing some award travel in May and honing in on business to JFK with either Swiss from ZRH (a330) or Austrian from VIE (b777).
As most are probably aware the "connection burden" is a bit greater with Austrian, as the flight leaves early but it seems like more people prefer the Austrian product/experience these days?
Just thought I'd see if anybody wants to chime in. Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I'm looking for First Class flights for two friends next January: We have the option to fly from Zurich to New York in First Class either via MUC or FRA.
Outbound options:
ZRH-FRA-(LH400 B748)-JFK
ZRH-FRA-(LH404 A346)-JFK
ZRH-MUC-(LH410 A346)-JFK

Inbound options:
JFK-(LH401 B748)-FRA-ZRH
JFK-(LH405 A346)-FRA-ZRH
JFK-(LH411 A346)-MUC-ZRH

Which flights would you suggest? I'm currently tending towards the B748 ones, since flying in the nose of a 747 is still quite iconic. I was quite surprised to see that there is no A388 service to JFK though

On the question on why I won't fly LX directly or over GVA: While I do love Swiss First Class, their FFP credits 100% more miles on LH F than LX F. Hence my tendency to LH. (The travelers need the miles to requalify for status)
Which FFP gives less for LX F than LH F?

MUC gives a few more miles than FRA as it is longer distance, if that does not matter and if they are not frequent F flyers, I would suggest the FRA flight to use the FCT. I would go for the later flights on both legs, as I find the timing better than the earlier ones. Especially on the return for sleeping.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
I'm doing some award travel in May and honing in on business to JFK with either Swiss from ZRH (a330) or Austrian from VIE (b777).
As most are probably aware the "connection burden" is a bit greater with Austrian, as the flight leaves early but it seems like more people prefer the Austrian product/experience these days?
Just thought I'd see if anybody wants to chime in. Thanks!
Seats are pretty much the same.
Pro LX: timing, ZRH lounges
Pro OS: catering

i would choose on the basis of timing, your preferences might differ though.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:06 am

Really newbie questions here but I've been unable to find definitive answers:

1) Which lounge does LH use in MIA for F passengers (no status)?

2) On the 748, is 1A/K significantly more private than 2A/K?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Really newbie questions here but I've been unable to find definitive answers:

1) Which lounge does LH use in MIA for F passengers (no status)?

2) On the 748, is 1A/K significantly more private than 2A/K?
IIRC LH use the LATAM lounge.

For a couple, in the B748 I suggest 1AK (or of course 3 DG) because they are a bit closer, as solo traveler I prefer 2 AK.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Quick question: I'm FTL and I know that on LH/LX/OS flights I can check a second luggage for free (except for Light Fares), but what about an OS flight operated by AF, does this rule still apply?
(I'm flying VIE-CDG on an OS flight operated by AF).

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
what about an OS flight operated by AF, does this rule still apply?
(I'm flying VIE-CDG on an OS flight operated by AF).
Nope.
JohnRain likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
F Award

Hi,

Looking to book F award, wanted to know if it's possible to add a stop over on award F travel for same mileage price, for example:

TLV-FRA\MUC-LAX(My destination, staying for a few days)-BOS(Staying for a few days)-FRA\MUC-TLV

I know that if it's possible, my LAX-BOS would be on J with UA

Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by photographer2012
Hi,

Looking to book F award, wanted to know if it's possible to add a stop over on award F travel for same mileage price, for example:

TLV-FRA\MUC-LAX(My destination, staying for a few days)-BOS(Staying for a few days)-FRA\MUC-TLV

I know that if it's possible, my LAX-BOS would be on J with UA

Thanks
Stopovers are permitted on return awards.

Call M&M.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I guess award availability (or actual tickets) is not yet there for the end of November. It will be soon though, so check regularly and make sure to book the closest flights to what you want. You can always change later if something more suitable opens up.

Although it costs more miles, since you want a one way and since you want a stopover in ORD anyway, you should also consider a regular award West coast - ORD and then a mileage bargain (55k) ORD-Europe.
Ok, the award availability has opened up - I've checked each segment online, and they all have 2 business class tickets available on the M&M website. But when I call an agent to book them, they tell me that it's not possible for them to book these flights, that they have different (less?) availability than I can see online. The first agent I talked to wasn't able to book ORD-FRA after finding YVR-ORD, the second one told me he couldn't even see YVR-ORD...

Is there any truth to this? This is my first 'complicated' award booking, and it's really frustrating that I can see all of the individual pieces on the website, but can't stitch them together.

Looking for these flights:

28/11: YVR-ORD, AC 8038
29/11: ORD-FRA, LH 431
30/11: FRA-BRU, LH 1008

Update: I spoke to a very friendly lady on the USA M&M number this morning who was easily able to book everything without even a 'hmmm' or 'that's weird' - a very sharp contrast with the German and Australian call centers who told me multiple times that there was no way to book this. The hardest past was getting the spelling of my wife's name right.
malmostoso likes this.

Last edited by dunehunter; Dec 17, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by MichielR

Which FFP gives less for LX F than LH F?

MUC gives a few more miles than FRA as it is longer distance, if that does not matter and if they are not frequent F flyers, I would suggest the FRA flight to use the FCT. I would go for the later flights on both legs, as I find the timing better than the earlier ones. Especially on the return for sleeping.
Eurobonus, it's the point of a debateb in the eurobonus forum right now actually (and one of the few disadvantages of the program imo: 200% vs 300%)

They are not frequent F flyers, but frequent (and demanding) J flyers and J atm is only about 200.- cheaper than F. Thanks for your suggestions, I personally will most probably suggest the flights over FRA simply because if the miles and for them to experience the FCT.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: *G
I will arrive at GIG from CGH at 13:15 and the take LH501, dep GIG at 19:40.
These are separate bookings then I need to pick up the luggage at GIG. I don't worry to miss LH501 but worry to kill the time.
I asked LH call center on check in counter opening hours, but they didn't have the info. just said to go to the counter 3 hours before the ETD(but I am there 6 hours before...).
Anyone know the LH counter opening time?
I want to leave the check in luggage and go to a new star alliance lounge.
or any good idea to kill 4-5hours? before Sao Paolo, I stay in Rio de Janeiro for a week. So I don't need a half day sightseeing on that day.
Some hotel have hotel pool day usage but they are in Ipanema, Copacabana... a bit far from GIG. sigh.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by daiseiko
I will arrive at GIG from CGH at 13:15 and the take LH501, dep GIG at 19:40.
These are separate bookings then I need to pick up the luggage at GIG. I don't worry to miss LH501 but worry to kill the time.
I asked LH call center on check in counter opening hours, but they didn't have the info. just said to go to the counter 3 hours before the ETD(but I am there 6 hours before...).
Anyone know the LH counter opening time?
I want to leave the check in luggage and go to a new star alliance lounge.
or any good idea to kill 4-5hours? before Sao Paolo, I stay in Rio de Janeiro for a week. So I don't need a half day sightseeing on that day.
Some hotel have hotel pool day usage but they are in Ipanema, Copacabana... a bit far from GIG. sigh.
You don’t explain who you are flying CGH to GIG with
If they have an interline agreement & you can get them to or you generate a BP you can go to the appropriate lounge your onward ticket or you status permits.
otherwise, yes, LH checkin opens 3 hours prior to LH501
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by chris63
You don’t explain who you are flying CGH to GIG with
If they have an interline agreement & you can get them to or you generate a BP you can go to the appropriate lounge your onward ticket or you status permits.
otherwise, yes, LH checkin opens 3 hours prior to LH501
Thanks chris63,

It's GOL.
GOL & LH have agreements I guess(we can see the combination tariff if we search CGH/GIG/FRA on LH.com), however, does GOL accept luggage through check in even 2 different bookings?
I may not get a priority tag because of the GOL first, but I don't mind it if I can go to the lounge without luggage pick up & drop off at GIG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.