Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:51 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by webslog
D'oh! Yup. I mis-copied.

Thanks for your assistance. Last time I travelled internationally was in 1988, so I'm beyond rusty.
Sorry I can't help with the FRA baggage situation from experience (I virtually never check), but I believe you will clear customs at your final destination. You might want to ask in the FRA connections thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...on-thread.html The Wiki at the top indicates you'll clear at TXL.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by webslog
2)
a) I connect through FRA to TXL
b) Will I need to claim bag, clear customs & immigration in FRA, then recheck and re-security for the FRA-TXL flight?

Danke!
In FRA you will go through passport control (i.e. immigration), while you will be reunited with your bag in TXL.

When you arrive in FRA (probably at Z) follow the signs towards your connecting flight (probably A).
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:51 pm

Thanks everyone, I think I'm clear now.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Premium Economy from what fares?

Which economy fares allow me to upgrade to premium economy? LH says any valid fare, yet their online system wouldn't let me upgrade from U.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:21 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ronlap
Which economy fares allow me to upgrade to premium economy? LH says any valid fare, yet their online system wouldn't let me upgrade from U.
Extracts from M&M Terms and conditions

4.3 Special upgrade terms and conditions

Upgrades with LH, JP, EN, OS, OU, LO, LX and SN are not possible for some particularly favourable offers.

Lufthansa (LH) K, L, N, P, T, Z
LH Economy fare classes which cannot be upgraded according to the T&C are K, L and T.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Extracts from M&M Terms and conditions

LH Economy fare classes which cannot be upgraded according to the T&C are K, L and T.
I upgraded from K on FRA-BLR for $275 but could not upgrade from U on the return. Hmmm...
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Ronlap
I upgraded from K on FRA-BLR for $275 but could not upgrade from U on the return. Hmmm...
NewbieRunner referred to mileage upgrades.

For cash upgrades at a fixed price, all paid fares are eligible, see
http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Upgra...-Economy-Class

I guess premium economy premium class N is not available at this time for your return flight and you can't cash-upgrade.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1k
I'm flying EWR-FRA-SIN in LH F with a 12+ hour layover in FRA. Is there an ability to leave luggage in the FCT while i venture into the city?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oblisk
I'm flying EWR-FRA-SIN in LH F with a 12+ hour layover in FRA. Is there an ability to leave luggage in the FCT while i venture into the city?
The FCT is not a left luggage facility. There has been a report of someone being allowed to keep a bag in a locker in one of the lounges in the main terminal while they went into the city but it is not recommended if you plan to go to the FCT later as you will have to clear security to retrieve your bag.

What I suggest is to go to the FCL A on arrival for a shower and breakfast if you like, go landside and pay a few euros to put your bag in left luggage, retrieve it on your return to the airport and walk to the FCT. If you are checking any bag it can be checked through to SIN and there is no need to retrieve it in FRA.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 6, 2016 at 11:49 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1k
What I suggest is to go to the FCL A on arrival for a shower and breakfast if you like, go landside and pay a few euros to put your bag in left luggage, retrieve it on your return to the airport and walk to the FCT. If you are checking any bag it can be checked through to SIN and there is no need to retrieve it in FRA.
Thanks that sounds like a great option.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It is quite some time since I redeemed miles for a ticket with 4U/EW, at least 2 years. At the time I was delighted with the very low taxes to pay and it was easy to perform a date change by calling me germanwings call center (I called the Swiss one). Can I assume that date changes are still easy to make like this? Some routes, such as DUS-GVA, make spending miles an interesting option because the fares these days are much higher than in the days when Lufthansa Regional operated the route.

There's not a lot of mention here of people spending miles on 4U/EW, but I think there can be good value to be had for it (and we're stuck with 4U/EW for the moment). One obvious question would be, if you book a Basic flight for 12,500 miles OW, would it still be possible to add a bag if needed by paying cash?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Concerto
One obvious question would be, if you book a Basic flight for 12,500 miles OW, would it still be possible to add a bag if needed by paying cash?
Yes, you can. Just try a dummy booking:

View Screen Capture
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:27 am

Immediate Family Medical Emergency Change Fee

I have LH basic business ticket (fare rules PNC5NS) and already flown one way. Due to immediate family member's serious illness I need the return date of my ticket. Lufthansa asks for $450 fee. Is there any way to waive the fee? Reading fare rules I stumbled on following emergency provision, but it includes only clause about the death of immediate family member, but not serious illness. Any suggestions would be welcome.

B. EMERGENCY PROVISION
-- TICKET MAY BE REFUNDED OR USED TOWARD THE
PURCHASE OF ANOTHER TICKET IF DUE TO ILLNESS
OF PASSENGER OR TRAVELING COMPANION OR DEATH
OF PASSENGER/IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER
TRAVELING COMPANION. A VALID DEATH OR
HOSPITAL/MEDICAL CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
I have LH basic business ticket (fare rules PNC5NS) and already flown one way. Due to immediate family member's serious illness I need the return date of my ticket. Lufthansa asks for $450 fee. Is there any way to waive the fee? Reading fare rules I stumbled on following emergency provision, but it includes only clause about the death of immediate family member, but not serious illness. Any suggestions would be welcome.

B. EMERGENCY PROVISION
-- TICKET MAY BE REFUNDED OR USED TOWARD THE
PURCHASE OF ANOTHER TICKET IF DUE TO ILLNESS
OF PASSENGER OR TRAVELING COMPANION OR DEATH
OF PASSENGER/IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER
TRAVELING COMPANION. A VALID DEATH OR
HOSPITAL/MEDICAL CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED
Sorry to hear about the news of your family member. Unfortunately I don't know of any provision for having the change fee waived for a discounted fare (P booking class) in this situation.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:45 pm

Sorry to hear about the news of your family member. Unfortunately I don't know of any provision for having the change fee waived for a discounted fare (P booking class) in this situation.
Emergency provision trick actually worked. While German call center said no dice (since technically neither the traveller nor travel companion was sick nor there was a death of immediate family), US call center suggested emailing doctor/hospital note to [email protected]. They reviewed the information within 3-4 hours and added a medical waiver to the booking.

I then called LH and was able to snag the last seat in the same fare bucket. The agent saw the waiver and didn't charge me any change fees.

I was pleasantly surprised by the efficiency. Kudos to LH in this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.