Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade from First to Business due to equipment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Downgrade from First to Business due to equipment

Last month I bought a first class ticket from PHL to MAD via FRA for June of 2016. The price was quite good, so I pulled the trigger. I booked the ticket through LH.com (it was fully paid in $ and not miles) and picked the seats in A346. Weeks later I checked the price again and found out that F cabin will no longer be offered on this route and it will be services by LH Cityline in A343 from late 2015 onwards, which has no first class.
My return flight is on Swiss ZRH to ORD in first and I presume that it will not change…
Having read several threads on this topic I need to figure out a best strategy to deal with the situation.
I understand that it is possible to request a compensation for the change which amounts to 75% of the ticket, although Im not clear if its the 75% of the portion to FRA or for the R/T.
One of my goals for the trip is to visit FCT in FRA, since I have a long layover, and plan to have a guest with me at the terminal.
If I accept the downgrade will it be possible to access the terminal? If not is there a possibility of requesting to fly out of JFK or ORD which do offer first class cabin.
Appreciate thought and suggestions...
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:21 pm

LH is very generous in terms of downgrade compensation, I'm sure they'll pay up enough to forget about the C class seat.
You shouldn't have a problem with rerouting through JFK or ORD though, if you wouldn't notice a couple grand in your wallet.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lack
LH is very generous in terms of downgrade compensation, I'm sure they'll pay up enough to forget about the C class seat.
You shouldn't have a problem with rerouting through JFK or ORD though, if you wouldn't notice a couple grand in your wallet.
How about lounge access if I fly in C?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It used to be 4000EUR for a operational downgrade. Alternatively ask for a reroute thru IAD or JFK if you want to enjoy and all its trimmings. LH has an agreement with AA and can route you on them.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It used to be 4000EUR for a operational downgrade. Alternatively ask for a reroute thru IAD or JFK if you want to enjoy and all its trimmings. LH has an agreement with AA and can route you on them.
Does the compensation depend on the price of the ticket? I they low ball me what amount would be fair?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If its more than 14 days out they technically owe you a rebooking or your money back. Within 14days its the the downgrade percentage mentioned above. The flat fee at LH was 4000 EUR to cover all of the above.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
As the trip is in mid 2016 I'd call them now to discuss options.
Probably rerouting will be better for you, as a price adjustment will probably leave you short changed.
If nothing suites you simply go for a full refund.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CoolTourist
If I accept the downgrade will it be possible to access the terminal?
No, assuming you are not an LH M&M HON with access due to status. If you value the FCT access and F seat/service more than the refund, you should contact LH to make arrangements for a routing with F.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If its more than 14 days out they technically owe you a rebooking or your money back.
Where did you get that?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
As the trip is in mid 2016 I'd call them now to discuss options.
Unless you're hoping for compensation, then better be very very quiet.

Originally Posted by warakorn
Where did you get that?
EU261.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:08 am
Suspended

Where did you get that?
EU261.
Well, could you please specifically show me the section in EC261/2004 where it says that downgrade compensation is not applicable if the passenger was informed more than 14 days in advance.
Frankly speaking, I have some trouble finding that section.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 provides for compensation of 75% of the ticket price. It does not matter when the DG occurs. There remains a dispute as to whether the 75% applies to the price of the entire ticket or to the ticket for the segment(s) DG. It is unlikely that LH would pay on the entire ticket without a court order.

Some here are confusing EC 261/2004 remedies for a cancellation 14+ days out with compensation for a DG. This situation is the latter.

If OP has his heart set on F, he can likely obtain any reroute he reasonably wants.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:19 am

Well, could you please specifically show me the section in EC261/2004 where it says that downgrade compensation is not applicable if the passenger was informed more than 14 days in advance.
Frankly speaking, I have some trouble finding that section.
They can reroute a pax >14 days out and only provide the option of refund.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

They can reroute a pax >14 days out and only provide the option of refund.
Refund of what?
I do not get your point.
Do you mean AND or OR?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:57 am

Refund of what?
I do not get your point.
Do you mean AND or OR?
Airline can do both (and), passenger can choose one (or).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.