FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   UFO (flight attendants) strike(s) 2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1686377-ufo-flight-attendants-strike-s-2015-a.html)

102605 Nov 5, 2015 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by DCMC (Post 25668411)
I spoke with 3 different United agents. All three said the same thing: That United would take care of rebooking. This was for an award ticket, not sure if you paid cash if it is different.

Now I wonder if they will still offer the same courtesy that Lufthansa is doing to allow rebooking right now at no charge.

DCMC Nov 5, 2015 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by 102605 (Post 25668421)
Now I wonder if they will still offer the same courtesy that Lufthansa is doing to allow rebooking right now at no charge.

I asked this as well. They will rebook for free as long as your flight is cancelled. So unfortunately you have to wait until LH actually cancels the flight. They all confirmed it would be in the same class of service, and they will attempt to make more award space available to accommodate.

One of the three agents even said "We are well-prepared to deal with Lufthansa strikes by now".

amislove Nov 5, 2015 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by DCMC (Post 25668486)
I asked this as well. They will rebook for free as long as your flight is cancelled. So unfortunately you have to wait until LH actually cancels the flight. They all confirmed it would be in the same class of service, and they will attempt to make more award space available to accommodate.

One of the three agents even said "We are well-prepared to deal with Lufthansa strikes by now".

FYI, United now has a waiver up at

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx

The wording suggests that they'll rebook now even if your flight is not cancelled. I'm currently trying to switch my FRA-CPH from LH to SK...

DCMC Nov 5, 2015 1:05 pm

In general, what do people think the odds of this lasting for the full week?

102605 Nov 5, 2015 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by amislove (Post 25668683)
FYI, United now has a waiver up at

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx

The wording suggests that they'll rebook now even if your flight is not cancelled. I'm currently trying to switch my FRA-CPH from LH to SK...

Thanks a ton! I was able to get on the United.com website and do the change with the $0 exception working.

YuropFlyer Nov 5, 2015 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by DCMC (Post 25668734)
In general, what do people think the odds of this lasting for the full week?

It probably will last much longer..

vantage03 Nov 5, 2015 6:16 pm

I've been told by the SEN line in Germany that my LH717 HND-FRA will run today Nov 06 as it departs before 12:00pm Frankfurt time. It is flights after 12:00pm which they are expecting to be affected.
Additionally, she said it will likely be short-haul flights first, although she admitted that was just speculation.
It was also confirmed that until your flight has been cancelled the goodwill rebooking will only be available in the same fare bucket within LH Group airlines. I.e. Reward bookings won't be rebooked into other fare buckets until the flight is cancelled. Pretty reasonable I guess.

burg_rtw Nov 5, 2015 6:16 pm

Reading this part of Wiki: "LH usually rebooks to other LH Group carriers, any star alliance carrier or other IATA airline it has an interline agreement with. The preference to do so is in the same order and done only if the preferred alternative doesn't have any free seats in the class of service (not booking class). Award bookings are treated the same way, although you may be requested to contact the issuing carrier for reissuing the ticket. LH issued tickets are usually reissued using the ATC irreg system."

I understand the class of service part, including award bookings. But what about upgrades? I have a J ticket for which I then used miles and confirmed an F seat. Flight is during the strike period. Would LH rebook me on SQ F in this case?

cesco.g Nov 5, 2015 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by vantage03 (Post 25670040)
I've been told by the SEN line in Germany that my LH717 HND-FRA will run today Nov 06 as it departs before 12:00pm Frankfurt time. It is flights after 12:00pm which they are expecting to be affected.

How about flights returning from overseas destinations, e.g. FRA-SFO tomorrow departs before noon, then the return flight SFO-FRA will be within the strike period. Will that plane stay in SFO and especially the FAs, by then officially on strike. Will they go on an unpaid vacation in SFO for a week, or .... ?

oliver2002 Nov 5, 2015 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by burg_rtw (Post 25670042)
I understand the class of service part, including award bookings. But what about upgrades? I have a J ticket for which I then used miles and confirmed an F seat. Flight is during the strike period. Would LH rebook me on SQ F in this case?

Yes, they can if they want to. In your case you should call the dedicated F hotline, they usually take good care of F pax.

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 25670470)
How about flights returning from overseas destinations, e.g. FRA-SFO tomorrow departs before noon, then the return flight SFO-FRA will be within the strike period. Will that plane stay in SFO and especially the FAs, by then officially on strike. Will they go on an unpaid vacation in SFO for a week, or .... ?

LH employees are not allowed by law to strike abroad, so inbound flights into Germany can technically operate. What LH usually does is cancel the flight and park the aircraft in the outstation, because flying customers into a strike mess at a hub has shown to be most unhelpful for all.

Germanfflyer Nov 6, 2015 12:11 am

Employees can of course strike abroad by law!
As long as they are employed in Germany
Strike is today from 14:00 to 23:14 all flights in FRA and DUS

cesco.g Nov 6, 2015 12:47 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 25671139)
Yes, they can if they want to. In your case you should call the dedicated F hotline, they usually take good care of F pax.

LH employees are not allowed by law to strike abroad, so inbound flights into Germany can technically operate. What LH usually does is cancel the flight and park the aircraft in the outstation, because flying customers into a strike mess at a hub has shown to be most unhelpful for all.

Interesting. So, are the striking FAs then just stranded in the outstation, waiting the strike out?

cesco.g Nov 6, 2015 1:00 am

List of cancellations is out now:

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Cancelled-Flights

Germanfflyer Nov 6, 2015 1:03 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 25671433)
Interesting. So, are the striking FAs then just stranded in the outstation, waiting the strike out?

If they choose not to strike -yes!

Germanfflyer Nov 6, 2015 1:17 am

The list is very surprisingly short.....I suspect it is work in progress....