Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germanwings name goes away

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Germanwings name goes away

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-to-be-retired
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
Never needed them anyway. So, will not miss them :-)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Understandable
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
Understandable
The transition to Eurowings has long been planned and communicated, albeit without much reporting on it.

This decision was not made after the recent events.

I just don't understand why they even bothered to repaint all their planes to a new and only temporary design some 12 months ago.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd much rather seem them get rid of these outsourcing shenenigans alltogether, but I suppose this works too.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Doitsu
..This decision was not made after the recent events.

I just don't understand why they even bothered to repaint all their planes to a new and only temporary design some 12 months ago.
Well ... obviously the recent events at least expedited the transition.

I never realised that the name 'Germanwings' would be absorbed into Eurowings until this announcement.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:01 am

Reminds me of this:

Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
All I can say is"EW!"
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Reminds me of this:

As if people can't identify the carrier from the colors and/or remaining visible livery.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As if people can't identify the carrier from the colors and/or remaining visible livery.
Congratulations on getting the point

Lufthansa built up the Germanwings brand for years now, made a lot of advertisement.. all that money is now going to be burnt for creating / using a kind-of-new brand.. wonder why they're doing it.. can't have been the crash alone...

Hü und Hott at it's very best.. LH keeps changing directions.. and then they're complaining why companies like EK are successful, which are running their operations according to a strict plan, and not changing minds every week just because they found something "new"..

I experienced companies where the managers had a new idea every week, and drove the whole staff nuts with it. Needless to say, there was an extremely high fluctuation rate and the companies success was rather limited..
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:31 am

1. I am not sure if the article is factually correct. All I can see is that flights that are operated by Eurowings are now bookable under the EW flight number (not the 4U germanwings number).

2. The rebranding to Eurowings was announced at the same time as long-haul flights were launched.

3. I highly doubt anything has changed because of flight 4U9525 crash. I find it impressive that after more than 1 month "in deep sorrow" is still prominent on the new LH.com and germanwings front page. This alone must have cost a lot of lost revenue!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by 8420PR
..I highly doubt anything has changed because of flight 4U9525 crash..
'Anything' .. in the wake of a disaster of this magnitude?

I'd rather say that Germanwings is history if not everything changes. And while the deletion of the name may just be smart preemptive revisionism justified by a plan that existed anyway, LH will implement all they possibly can to get the project rolling again.
They won't let this evolve into another TWA or SR.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What was the original rationale for LH to use an English-language name for this airline? I'm assuming *most* of its business was from Germany to various leisure destinations around Europe, most of which weren't English-speaking regions.

I realize that almost any European would be able to deduce what "Germanwings" means, but still...what's the history behind the English branding?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
What was the original rationale for LH to use an English-language name for this airline? I'm assuming *most* of its business was from Germany to various leisure destinations around Europe, most of which weren't English-speaking regions.

I realize that almost any European would be able to deduce what "Germanwings" means, but still...what's the history behind the English branding?
Name a German carrier (other than LH itself) that doesn't have an English, or pseudo-English name...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Name a German carrier (other than LH itself) that doesn't have an English, or pseudo-English name...
I can't think of one.

But why? I get that English is a global aviation language, but this is just branding... I'm interested in understanding more about why they do this, when the vast majority of pax on the airline would likely identify English as their 2nd or 3rd language, or simply a language they occasionally or never use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.