Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fra/muc/zrh-lax: Swiss or Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, GHA Platinum
Smile Fra/muc/zrh-lax: Swiss or Lufthansa?

Good morning,

I plan to travel to LAX on September 2015 in business class, and i would like to have some suggestions if it's better to choose Lufthansa or Swiss for the journey? Actually for Lufthansa the flights are operated by A346 and B748I so i hope on September both of these will have new biz class. And one more question, if i would chose the Lufthansa, there is no problem to book the flight on United website? Because obviously it's a lot cheaper than on the Lufthansa website, but I never booked a flight by United.

Thank you all
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
If LH and LX are the only alternatives you're considering, then have a look in the Lufthansa & partners sub-forum.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, GHA Platinum
Post Fra/muc/zrh-lax

Good morning,

I plan to travel to LAX on September 2015 in business class, and i would like to have some suggestions if it's better to choose Lufthansa or Swiss for the journey? Actually for Lufthansa the flights are operated by A346 and B748I so i hope on September both of these will have new biz class. And one more question, if i would chose the Lufthansa, there is no problem to book the flight on United website? Because obviously it's a lot cheaper than on the Lufthansa website, but I never booked a flight by United.

Thank you all
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since we just happen to have a forum dedicated to discussing these two airlines, let's try it out here.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:58 am

It depends what is important for you. For me I would select LX hands down. LH J is usually is a bit of a let down. However others might prefer LH
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:46 am

LH has the new business class in the 748. Still many 346 are flying with the old seats. I would avoid the 346 for that reason. The 748 seats are fully flat, but significantly smaller than business class seats on other airline. They also don't have aisle access from every seat.
LX has new seats, fully flat but also relatively narrow. They squeese 4+5 = 9 seats into every double row, other airlines with a similar staggered layout have 7 or 8 per double row in the 3x0 and usually 8 in the (significantly wider) 777.
If you are not too 'wide' yourself you most likely will like the LX seat better.

Assuming you are connecting from somewhere: MUC is the nicest airport for connections, ZRH second and FRA last.

Hopefully somebody else will be able to answer the question about booking on United. I remember some post with difficulties in selecting seats / upgrading etc.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:48 am

My choice in C: LX
Better seat, better food and better service
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Add another vote for LX (look up the layout - get one of the single seats, my favorite is 7k). There's actually another thread regarding this exact routing question. On my mobile so can't link it.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:49 pm

I think both are pretty equal. LX's biz seat is a bit narrower but still very comfortable. LH has the brand new 747-8 to FRA, but they will also be starting A380 service to LAX in April and will use the 747-8 on the second FRA LAX flight.
Booking via the UA website is fine for LH but if you want pre assigned seats, there still may be issues with this when booking as a UA flight number/LX operated flight.
MUC > ZRH > FRA is also my vote for best airports out of the three.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Pattrick555
Good morning,

I plan to travel to LAX on September 2015 in business class, and i would like to have some suggestions if it's better to choose Lufthansa or Swiss for the journey? Actually for Lufthansa the flights are operated by A346 and B748I so i hope on September both of these will have new biz class.
Would suggest to take the best connection, as most LH planes should have the new business seats by September. Have used all three airport multiple times and would rate MUC high above the other two.

Enjoy.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
If you're seeing a large fare difference, that "significantly cheaper" fare on united.com is probably a P fare, which earns fewer status and award miles than other business classes.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: A3*G
Unfortunately, these days there's also something else to consider: A LX flight is more likely to actually take off than a LH flight. With LH,

- the pilots may be on strike
- the cabin crew may be on strike
- ground crew may be on strike
- security personnel may be on strike (let's concede that this one is not within LH's control, but that still won't make your plane take off if your flight has been cancelled).

Is this threat on LH flights significant enough that it should influence your decision? I'd argue yes, but to each their own.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, BA Gold
Yes, in C I would prefer LX.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Despite all the votes for LX, wouldn't it be fair to say that the LH senator lounges in Munich and Frankfurt are better than the lounges in Zurich ?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:37 pm

Some weeks ago I took a flight on LX in C. My seat was 9K. I enjoyed having a single window seat with free access to the aisle. But I found the seat very narrow. And one thing I found really disappointing was that there were only two toilets for the entire C. At some time before landing I observed that there were 5 or 6 people standing in line. For C, I consider that completely unaccepatble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.