Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
paid ASR and seat blocking [for *G on LH]

• *G are not eligible for free ASR
  • *G are eligible for the mythical seat blocking privilege
  • *G get to pick far from good seats during check in for free

This sounds easy and innocuous. And my naive approach was that when seating is scarce (seat map filled up, only higher fare buckets), I paid the advanced ASR for a decent (but not extra legroom) aisle seat.

Meaning whenever I paid for the ASR, it was on a service that was quite full ... and every time I did so, the seat next to me was empty.

And on the flights, I did not pay but picked a far front seat, I had a neighbour.

So my competing hypotheses are:
  1. meaningless stochastic variation
  2. far front seats a spill seats for the most clueless of travellers who also show up late at the airport
  3. LH privileges good customers who pay extra for their ordinary seat - paired with Gold giving seat blocking super power

With your experiences ... is #1 really all that likely?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:03 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by weero
  • *G are eligible for the mythical seat blocking privilege
When asking for seat blocking I was told it's only available for SENs and HONs. And since I checked in as UA*G, the seat wouldn't be blocked.

HTB.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
It's all good as long as I don't need to sit next to my friend weero!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rambuster
It's all good as long as I don't need to sit next to my friend weero!
Business Class will separate us, even upon the introduction of Premium Economy.

But fir personal ventures, I like the now really cheap coach fares of LH.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
When asking for seat blocking I was told it's only available for SENs and HONs. And since I checked in as UA*G, the seat wouldn't be blocked....
That's agent's talk - I am talking about real experience of FTers. I am much convinced that the LH IT leaves the agents equally in the dark as it does the customers.

Statistically, I myself had a lot more luck with seat blocking as UA*G than as SEN ... but then that is me
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
*G are not eligible for free ASR
Where is the news?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:44 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
That's agent's talk - I am talking about real experience of FTers. I am much convinced that the LH IT leaves the agents equally in the dark as it does the customers.

Statistically, I myself had a lot more luck with seat blocking as UA*G than as SEN ... but then that is me
The check-in agents can see immediately whether the seat next to you gets blocked by the system, so I tend to believe this piece of information. The best luck I had so far as UA*G (passive SEN) was by asking to be seated next to a blocked seat @:-)

HTB.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by htb
The check-in agents can see immediately whether the seat next to you gets blocked by the system, so I tend to believe this piece of information. The best luck I had so far as UA*G (passive SEN) was by asking to be seated next to a blocked seat @:-)

HTB.
I have done that too.

However, I do tend to believe some of this seat-blocking theory for *G. I usually pay ASR and the only time the middle seat has been taken has been on fully booked flights, normally it stays empty.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
So my competing hypotheses are:
  1. meaningless stochastic variation
  2. far front seats a spill seats for the most clueless of travellers who also show up late at the airport
  3. LH privileges good customers who pay extra for their ordinary seat - paired with Gold giving seat blocking super power

With your experiences ... is #1 really all that likely?
About #2: I've been told a few times by ground staff that people who don't choose and pick their own seat get it assigned. The assignment starts from the front-ish to the back-ish of the plane. So chances should be bigger to get an empty middle seat in the back of the back of the bus.

I'm not sure if LH actually goes the extra mile for paying customers who also have *G. I haven't seen LH go any extra mile for anyone recently, actually...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: BRK-B
Originally Posted by UltraRant
About #2: I've been told a few times by ground staff that people who don't choose and pick their own seat get it assigned. The assignment starts from the front-ish to the back-ish of the plane. So chances should be bigger to get an empty middle seat in the back of the back of the bus.

I'm not sure if LH actually goes the extra mile for paying customers who also have *G. I haven't seen LH go any extra mile for anyone recently, actually...
Confirmed, on Lufthansa calculator told me that H-Class LHR-FRA will get you 750, on my ROP account only 500 appear.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Where is the news?
That was a summary of the status quo ... not news.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
The check-in agents can see immediately whether the seat next to you gets blocked by the system, so I tend to believe this piece of information. The best luck I had so far as UA*G (passive SEN) was by asking to be seated next to a blocked seat @:-)..
Excellent points.

But regarding agents: when I was still SEN and asked if my neighbour seat is blocked, I was always told something like "not on this flight" or "we don't do this anymore" and on the phone I was assured that *Gs also get it.
Admittedly a very weak argument but paired with my experience, I never doubted it.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I have done that too.

However, I do tend to believe some of this seat-blocking theory for *G. I usually pay ASR and the only time the middle seat has been taken has been on fully booked flights, normally it stays empty.
Very much my experience.
Originally Posted by UltraRant
About #2: I've been told a few times by ground staff that people who don't choose and pick their own seat get it assigned. The assignment starts from the front-ish to the back-ish of the plane. So chances should be bigger to get an empty middle seat in the back of the back of the bus..
Good point ... my original theory could be incomplete then.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
Lufthansa - Blocked Seat because of infant or Star Alliance Gold

First Lufthansa flights ICN - MUN & MUN - LHR
Usually OW flyer but as recently status matched with Turkish Airlines to Star Alliance Gold thought I’d give Lufthansa a try.
Great experience and got a spare seat on “full” flights. So the question is would we have gotten the spare seat as travelling with an infant or Star Alliance Gold?
Either way I think I will be booking more Lufthansa Flights when timing or costs suit.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: LH HON
I don’t really understand what you are asking. What do you mean spare seat?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:09 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
MUN?…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.