Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection Economy Lufthansa 747-8i and A340-600

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Seat selection Economy Lufthansa 747-8i and A340-600

Hello, this is my first post here, sorry if this question sounds dumb or is not in the right section of the forum.

I have to select 3 seats in Economy class, we go in a Boeing 747-8I and we return in an Airbus A340-600

2 of us like windows seats and one of us isle.
I as a first approach selected rows 30 and 31 for the Boeing to the right and rows 37 and 38 for the Airbus to the left.

I guess somebody here has actual experience and could provide some advice.

Thank you in advance,
Brad.-
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Welcome to FT!

Those are all standard economy seats for those locations, nothing particularly good or bad. That will be the case for most of the seats unless it's a bulkhead/exit row or one in a bad spot such as the last row or right beside the lavatory, for example. Was there some specific advice you were looking for in regards to seating?

SeatGuru, although imperfect in some cases, is an easy way to check out seat maps and info for most airlines.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

emergency exit rows are expensive, what is the good or bad thing about bulkhead seats?
I as everybody (I guess) look for leg space.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The seats are pretty much all the same. The advantage of the bulkhead is that there is no one to lean into you, and you can get out easier. The disadvantage ( depending on which bulkhead you are in) is that legroom is finite as you can't put your feet under another seat. Two windows and an aisle sadly don't exist on the 747-8. Someone is going to have to take the middle (or go in a different row). The A346 is 2-4-2 so you may have more luck there.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Poster

I chose to pay different rows for the 747-8 leaving the middle seat as I payed for the seats:

---
x-x
x--
---

Should I have a problem?

Brad.-
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
You won't have a problem but there is a chance that someone will be sitting in the middle seat.

Originally Posted by bradmoss
I chose to pay different rows for the 747-8 leaving the middle seat as I payed for the seats:

---
x-x
x--
---

Should I have a problem?

Brad.-
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

yes, of course, hope a thin person...
But daughter and me prefer window and wife aisle...
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Is it better a seat on a row above the wing or I should I take a row behind the wing?
I imagine the view will be obstructed anyway?
Noise?

Thanks.
Brad.-
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk since your question concerns a specific airline, it's been moved to the dedicated Lufthansa forum for further feedback.

Good luck, and safe travels!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: LH FTL
Have you considered rows 45/46 on the B747-8? It's at the rear of the aircraft, where the fuselage narrows down and the seat pattern chages from 3-4-3 to 2-4-2. So you could have a row with a window and aisle without the 'threat' of a third person in between. Furthermore, it's quite a distance behind the wings, so views should be better.
It's up to your personal assessment whether these benefits outweight the potential drawback of sitting in the rear, e.g. last to deboard, preferred food choice ran out
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Welcome to FlyerTalk, bradmoss!

My 2 cents worth (or maybe today you get the same value with only 1 Rappen ):

IME, emergency door rows are always desirable on a long-haul Y flight, and if you want a window, the 748 (and 744 and A380, if applicable) typically have one row with a window seat immediately behind the emergency door that offers a window, extra leg room, and access to the aisle. Depending on your elite status and/or threshold of pain for paying extra for those seats, they can be easy or hard to reserve.

The downside to these seats is that they are typically close to a lavatory, so they can be noisier (and occasionally smellier) than seats elsewhere.

If you are particularly motion sensitive, as you move further back in the Y cabin, you also move closer to the horizontal control surfaces and further away from the aerodynamic and mass centers of the vehicle, so the more sensitive and observant passenger will be better able to experience and appreciate both the short-period and phugoid tuning selected by respective Boeing and Airbus designers for your particular machine . In turbulent conditions, this effect will be more pronounced.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

What's called the Y cabin? I have read that several times but don't know what the "Y"

Emergency rows would be ideal yes, but in principle don't want to pay 105 dollars for each seat. I am allowed to choose from row 28 to tail.

Of course hate the smell near the restrooms.

What I pondering is the thing about rows 45 and 46, here there is a picture

But you introduce the instability issue back there and as I think there are restrooms 2 rows behind too, not sure what to do.

Space at the side seems pretty...

Brad.-
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
Y means economy class
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the explanations
Not an option the emergency exit row bc my daughter is 15 and they demand at least 16 + no seats in the adjacents rows I won't let her seat away from us.

I flew COPA airlines emergency exit rows and it was a pleasure^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.