Wiki Posts
Search

can award tickets be cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

can award tickets be cancelled?

Hi everybody!

I was under the impression that ALL award tickets (with the exclusion of mileage bargains) could be fully refunded, both in terms of miles and price paid, with only 50€ penalty.

I was informed that it’s not always like this and you can lose even the taxes you paid for.

Can someone explain how it works in practice? I trust your experience 10x than other people’s!

Thanks!!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I’m not qualified to answer your question but would like to point out the following,

Extracts from M&M general terms and conditions.

2.3 Rebooking, Cancellation

A charge of €50 per person and rebooking (or the equivalent value in a foreign currency) will be made for rebooking a flight award. You can only change the date and time of the flight when you rebook. It is not possible to change the route. Please note that rebookings may lead to additional costs or partial refunds for taxes, fees and airline surcharges.

In the event of a cancellation, you can choose between the following two alternatives:

2.3.1 Alternative 1

With the first alternative, only the taxes and fees are refunded. Miles and airline surcharges are not refundable. You do not incur any additional costs. If you have paid the taxes, fees and airline surcharges at a flat rate using miles, the airline surcharges are equivalent to 10,000 miles. This means that in the event of cancellation the amount paid in miles for taxes, fees and airline surcharges are reimbursed less an amount of 10,000 miles.

2.3.2 Alternative 2

In the second alternative, the miles and airline surcharges are refunded in addition to the taxes and fees. In return, you will be charged €50 per person and cancellation (or the equivalent value in a foreign currency). This type of refund will be made only at your express request.

At present, you can only cancel or (where permitted) rebook a flight award you have booked online via your local Miles & More Service Team.

Please note that in the event of the partial use of a flight award, taxes and fees will only be refunded pro rata. Miles will not be refunded. This also applies when you have paid the taxes, fees and airline surcharges at a flat rate using miles.

3. Reduced flight awards

You have the option of booking reduced flight awards. These are Fly Smart awards, mileage bargains or other promotions for flight awards that may be offered. These are governed by the following terms and conditions. In addition, the terms and conditions of booking set out in section 2 apply, unless stipulated otherwise below.

3.1 General terms and conditions of booking for reduced flight awards

Reduced flight awards can only be booked if seats are available in the booking class relevant for reduced Miles & More flight awards on the desired route. Reduced flight awards are exclusive of taxes, fees and airline surcharges, i.e. these are calculated and charged to your credit card separately. Companion Awards for Senators and HON Circle Members are not available with reduced flight awards (see section 2.5 of these terms and conditions). This also applies to children’s flight awards and one-way flight awards (see sections 1.1 and 1.2 of these terms and conditions).

Reduced flight awards with connecting flights:
With connecting flights, the next available flight is always selected automatically. There is no free choice of connecting flight, even via your local Miles & More Service Team.

Rebooking / Cancellation:
Reduced flight awards cannot be rebooked. In the event of cancellation, the fees and taxes paid will be refunded. Miles and airline surcharges are not refunded. If you have paid the taxes, fees and airline surcharges at a flat rate using miles, the surcharges are equivalent to 10,000 miles. This means that in the event of cancellation, you will be reimbursed the number of miles paid, subject to a deduction of 10,000
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Always been the case, except for mileage bargain, pay 50€ to cancel & you get all fees, taxes & miles returned.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63
Always been the case, except for mileage bargain, pay 50€ to cancel & you get all fees, taxes & miles returned.
thanks! and this is the case even if you purchase your award ticket online and not through the customer dervice right?

What about the alternatives mentioned above, like alternative 1? there is some weird wording on the taxes/refund
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
AFAIK there are two options to cancel awards as it says in the excerpt from LH as well. Cancel and pay no cancellation fee and forfeit the miles, but can get taxes and YQ back.

Or, cancel and pay a 50€ cancellation fee and get all your miles and the taxes and YQ back.

Now why anyone would chose the first option is beyond me as there is no mileage award that costs so little miles that it would not be worth it to pay 50€.

I had this exact spiel offered by MNL contact center when I cancelled my last two LH M&M (back up) awards after managing to secure two good Biz options via Lifemiles to burn down my stash there. Needless to say that I paid the 50€ cancellation fee both times.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by demue
AFAIK there are two options to cancel awards as it says in the excerpt from LH as well. Cancel and pay no cancellation fee and forfeit the miles, but can get taxes and YQ back.
Or, cancel and pay a 50€ cancellation fee and get all your miles and the taxes and YQ back.
Now why anyone would chose the first option is beyond me as there is no mileage award that costs so little miles that it would not be worth it to pay 50€.
If the miles would have otherwise expired it makes no sense to pay 50€ to get miles back that expire the moment they are returned to the account.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If the miles would have otherwise expired it makes no sense to pay 50€ to get miles back that expire the moment they are returned to the account.
Ok lah , with expired miles, yes that's the one "use case" so to say.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Don't they stay alive for a while so you could effectively make another booking? I thought was one of our FF tricks.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

what about this sentence under alternative 2: “At present, you can only cancel or (where permitted) rebook a flight award you have booked online via your local Miles & More Service Team

Does this mean that if I purchase my award flight through the app, i won’t be able to select refund of miles minus 50€, but only if I call the customer service?!

any experience with this?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
It means you will have to call to cancel, you can not cancel awards online
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by maxraci
what about this sentence under alternative 2: “At present, you can only cancel or (where permitted) rebook a flight award you have booked online via your local Miles & More Service Team

Does this mean that if I purchase my award flight through the app, i won’t be able to select refund of miles minus 50€, but only if I call the customer service?!

any experience with this?
You have to call to make any changes or to cancel, they charge you 50 EUR for changes & cancellations, for the latter they then provide a full refund.
demue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.