Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Doctor on Board program and courses

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
My grandpa is a doctor and he was told several years ago not to show that he is a doctor in the case of an emergenc especially on flights to/from the U.S. because if he can't help cause in case of missing equipment, medicine or even if there's no chance to save the patient's life, somebody will always try to get some money out of it and go to court...
Who said this?
Hopefully no doctor will even think about whether he is on a flight to/from U.S. or not, when a emergency is announced (Hippocratic Oath)... The equiqment onboard is not too bad.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN
German territory

My grandpa is a doctor and he was told several years ago not to show that he is a doctor in the case of an emergenc especially on flights to/from the U.S. because if he can't help cause in case of missing equipment, medicine or even if there's no chance to save the patient's life, somebody will always try to get some money out of it and go to court...

He always said that he will do in any case but I don't know whether LH "insures" the doctor whether he can't help or he's doing a fault...
I thought being in a Lufthansa plane in the air is to be considered as the same as to be on German soil. Is that correct?

Otherwise the minimum drinking age would be 21 on flights to the U.S.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:44 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by Kranich
I thought being in a Lufthansa plane in the air is to be considered as the same as to be on German soil. Is that correct?
Yes
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:42 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by bau31888
Who said this?
Hopefully no doctor will even think about whether he is on a flight to/from U.S. or not, when a emergency is announced (Hippocratic Oath)... The equiqment onboard is not too bad.
He was told so at Check IN on his flight CGN-FRA-JFK metal change to UA - LAX at the end of the 90s....

He has always the minimum equipment around and he will always help, it's just what they said to him when she saw his doctors bag.

Seems as this was propably just a single opinion of this lady or a change in LH policy... As we all can read, you get extra miles to be a doctor on board now...
I really appreciate that... It's better to have minimum help by a doctor than no help
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:57 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by Alpineflight
I am travelling quite frequently on Lh in C, but just once had the experience that the Purserette asked if I were a physician and which were my especiality. Then asked me kindly that the staff could contact me if any emergency occurs. But all that was leaving me without any compensation, although I think that there is a notice in my profile, because I always was treated some kind of special. So I am supporting this effort of LH and I think it is a very good idea. At least I get some miles now.
I've only once been asked by the purser whether my title was for a medical or an academic doctor on a UA flight last year. Noone else ever cared at all. Unfortunately, I had to disappoint her that it was "only" a PhD, and after she knew that I wasn't of any use for her I received no more attention (note to self: Should have rather studied medicine than Biochemistry...especially now with the extra miles )
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:50 am

He was told so at Check IN on his flight CGN-FRA-JFK metal change to UA - LAX at the end of the 90s....
(...)
Seems as this was propably just a single opinion of this lady or a change in LH policy...
Even if Germany is not US, we have some laws. And a doctor (or EMT) who intentionally does not help in emergencies can get into trouble (unterlassene Hilfeleistung, not Garantenstellung )

He has always the minimum equipment around and he will always help...
As I said, on LH interconti flights the medical equiqment is IME not bad: oxygen, blood pressure meter, heart defibrillator, dressing material, selction of emergency medicine etc.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:18 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by bau31888
http://www.aero.de/news.php?varnewsid=1214
5000 per flight
up to 35000 after an emergency

GK1998, I don't think it will work in the next week. LH jsut has presented the new bonusprogram, I suppose, it will take some time to start it.

I hope they give out at least half of the miles for emergency medical technician, which I have learned years ago. And I'm for sure still better in emergency situations than many MD's (thinking of dermatologists, family doctors etc. which I have met during my civilian service). But that's probably just a dream...

I, too, hope that there will be some incentive for EMT-Paramedics or even some nurses.

It is a long hard way to become a Doctor, even more so to specialize.
And a Doctor will probably be very good in his/ her specialty, but not
necessarily in emergency medicine.

Even though emergency medicine is taught in medical school nowadays in
Germany, if Doctors don't practice it for many years they will have a hard
time to help in an emergency.

If you have ever seen a family Doctor, Gynacologist, Dermatologist, eye Doctor, Dentist and many other specialties trying to perform emergency medicine you might agree with me, that in many cases it is a sad experience,
especially for the patient.

During a possibly life threatening inflight emergency I would prefer to be
treated by a well trained and experienced paramedic or ER-/ ICU nurse rather than by one of the mentioned specialized Doctors, who might not have seen any advanced life support in many years.

Concerning Lufthansa giving extra miles to paramedics or nurses, too, you
should consider that the profession of a Doctor is different here, compared
to the US for example.
In the US there are so many jobs below a Doctor (like physician assistant,
nurse practitioner, respiratory therapist etc.), and for these other professions
the scope of practice is very broad.

A Doctor in the US in many cases mainly diagnoses and gives orders for
treatment, someone else will follow his orders and treat the patient.

In Germany however Doctors usually want to perform even the smallest
invasive techniques (like starting an iv) themself - and for the american,
british or australian reader: yes, Doctors in Germany even ride on Ambulances.

Lufthansa will probably stick with this common german opinion, that there
simply is noone else qualified to help besides a Doctor.
So it's strange but likely that they will be the only ones recieving extra miles.

But, bau31888, we can still try and write a letter to LH.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador

He always said that he will do in any case but I don't know whether LH "insures" the doctor whether he can't help or he's doing a fault...
This is no longer the case.
Although any passanger can do whatever they want, the law of the "good samaritan" applies.
This was clearly explained in one of the most respected medical journals called "The New England Journal of Medicine", in its issue http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/346/14/1067
So that you do not have to read the full article I will quote the part where it speaks about liability:
[I]Medical Liability

In general, airlines are legally liable for gross neglect or willful misconduct during in-flight medical events, as stipulated by international treaties.51,52 The threat of lawsuits is one of the factors that has recently motivated airlines to improve their resources for handling in-flight medical events. To our knowledge, no litigation has been brought to date against a physician who has rendered assistance during an in-flight medical event. Does a physician who is a passenger have a duty to volunteer medical assistance? In the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, physicians do not have a legal duty to render assistance unless there is a preexisting physician–patient relationship. In contrast, many European countries and Australia do impose such a legal obligation.51,52,53 By international law, the country in which the aircraft is registered has legal jurisdiction.52,53,54 However, the country in which the incident occurs or the country of citizenship of the plaintiff or defendant can also have jurisdiction.51,52,53,54

An important step that reduced physicians' concern about liability was taken in 1998, when the Aviation Medical Assistance Act was signed into law.55,56 The act provides limited "good Samaritan" protection to any medically qualified passenger who provides medical assistance aboard an aircraft.55 In addition to being medically qualified, the assisting passenger must be a volunteer, render care in good faith, and receive no monetary compensation. Gifts in the form of travel vouchers, wine, or seat upgrades are not considered compensation. The assisting passenger must also render medical care similar to the care that others with similar training would provide under such circumstances. Physicians should be aware of the provisions of the Aviation Medical Assistance Act and recognize its limitations.
[B]
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
<IRONY>
Or a computer technician that can reboot MediaWorld!
Or a Business-Consultant to improve the LH Stragegy?
Or a cleaning-lady that can do an emergency cleaning of the toilet?
</IRONY>

Sorry I can really understand LH. And I cannot understand the "Neidkultur".
Medical Doctors have the longest study in Germany.
They have to work four to six years for a lousy money and lot of unpayed overwork to get their "Facharzt". Yes some nurses know some emergency procedure and have some special knowledge in some very special cases, and some beive all doctors are stupid.

BTW: A dentist in Germany is not a doctor of medicine. It is a complete different study.

Until I see it officially on the LH page i wont beleive it.
I love the new rules, because it is a great incentive for my wife to do some weekendtrips with me! Lovely!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA blue
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Sorry I can really understand LH. And I cannot understand the "Neidkultur".
Medical Doctors have the longest study in Germany.
They have to work four to six years for a lousy money and lot of unpayed overwork to get their "Facharzt".
Do you mean that German medical doctors deserve extra miles when flying LH because of that? Do you expect airlines to fight social injustice? The idea sounds really scary to me...
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by Oldthinker
Do you mean that German medical doctors deserve extra miles when flying LH because of that? Do you expect airlines to fight social injustice?
^
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Isn't it cool? From now on, LH will provide compensation miles for each and every social injustice - worldwide.

So we need mileage charts that show professions and Hartz IV status instead of booking classes.
I honestly hope, you will never need medical help on a longhaul flight!
Maybe then there will be a physician on board, who can an will provide this (maybe lifesaving) help to you, come back to you from his seat in F or C (that he bought to catch some sleep) to spend his time and his professional skill with your problem, without billing you?!

And you really envy this guy for lousy 35.000 extra miles???

And you really compare this with other professions or even Hartz IV transfer receivers??!!

What is wrong with you guys. Do you think a medical doctor on board is your private slave, who has to do all this, just because he or she has this profession?

The only "social injustice" issue that I can see here, is that people like you and others in this thread obviously have a "take for free as can" mentality concerning medical assistance.

As far as Lufthansa is concerned, the "gift" of 5.000 miles helps them to identify physicians in case of an emergency very fast. It saves them a hell lot of money (up to 20.000 $), if they must not have an extra unplanned (medical emergency) touch down, due to the work of this passenger-doctor.
Compared to what they save here, 35.000 miles is real peanuts.

And sorry, there is no other profession, who can provide this (sometimes lifesaving) skill and therefore has earned any mileage or compensation!!!!

Last edited by Passenger_by_Passion; Oct 6, 2006 at 11:01 am
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:07 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
FRADOC and other reported, that until now the compensation for a doctor giving treatment inflight was a free C RT wherevere LH flies, so this seems to be a more official but downgraded compensation.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:16 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chejus
Does a physician who is a passenger have a duty to volunteer medical assistance? In the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, physicians do not have a legal duty to render assistance unless there is a preexisting physician–patient relationship.
As all physicans obey the Hippocratic Oath, I highly doubt a physican will get away either legally or by his physican association, if he does not help in case of an emergency. Same is true for members of the Red Cross e.g., who take a make a similiar oath.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by peter42
FRADOC and other reported, that until now the compensation for a doctor giving treatment inflight was a free C RT wherevere LH flies, so this seems to be a more official but downgraded compensation.
C RT is not the standard compensation, however, sometimes it is given out by customer service.

Originally Posted by Passenger_by_Passion
As far as Lufthansa is concerned, the "gift" of 5.000 miles helps them to identify physicians in case of an emergency very fast.
It is not only a question of speed. During a night flight, the crew cannot identify a doctor onboard at all, if he/she is sleeping and consequently does not react to the announcement. Happened on my last medical emergency, where I was the only one helping for the first time. Later a doctor came to the galley to get something to drink and then helped me.

I'm sure that - when you register for the miles - you allow LH to wake you up whenever there is an emergency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.