Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more chances of buying miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:52 pm

Let's see, UA has gone to the pits. US is just gone from Star Alliance.

This passenger said in a statement: "The option of being willing to buy flight with a Lufthansa Group airline will only be available for a few more weeks."
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Don't be so dramatic..... nobody was buying M&M miles anyway, and LM is an option as well.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
So how soon after you purchase miles do you have to redeem them? LH.COM seems pretty adamant that they are for immediate redemption only. But how long? Do they just suck the miles back out of your account if you don't redeem within a week?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by econprof
So how soon after you purchase miles do you have to redeem them? LH.COM seems pretty adamant that they are for immediate redemption only. But how long? Do they just suck the miles back out of your account if you don't redeem within a week?
Yes, the Ts&Cs are remarkably unclear, both in English and German. They imply that one can only buy in connection with an award ticket or upgrade, but then they say it takes up to 24-hours for the mileage to credit, so I am not sure how that works. How do you redeem an award ticket with purchased miles that don't credit to your account until some time in the future?

Am I sensing it time for us NYC LH fanboys/girls to spend down our LH accounts and move to a new TATL supplier? Fortunately, I am not a big a user of LH405 as I used to be, and there a other choices between JFK and FRA or MUC.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Guess they didn't meet their revenue target... purchasing of miles has been extended "for a short time" in July.

You'd really think they could be more precise...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
I never understood why anyone would buy miles from LH in the first place???
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by mapu
I never understood why anyone would buy miles from LH in the first place???
If one is trying to empty the account and is a few thousand miles short of the award level, it can be worth it. Also if one has been saving and is close to a goal, and a desired award opens up, it can be worth it. Others may find other practical uses for buying miles. IME, purchased miles are not good value, but in limited cases they can be worth the price.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I know, it's nuts. Total nuts! But I bought 5,000 miles (+1,000 miles bonus) to bank someone's account up from 4,000 miles to 10,000 miles, so they can at least get a mileage bargain. I just hope that this clause "redeem immediately for an award flight" is not applied too harshly, because it may be a few months before he gets around to using them!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:42 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
I know, it's nuts. Total nuts! But I bought 5,000 miles (+1,000 miles bonus) to bank someone's account up from 4,000 miles to 10,000 miles, so they can at least get a mileage bargain.
I agree: totally nuts.

I've received 6500 miles for reading a few weeks of "Welt am Sonntag" and "Focus" just a few months back. It cost me 42.7 Euros.

Of course I know it's more difficult if you're not located in Germany (or know someone who'd like to receive these magazines).

HTB.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Basically you could buy up to 50K miles with COOP stamps (I believe twice a year).
There is one promotion ending by February 7th.

You get 2000 miles for 34.90 CHF with a stamps-filled-sheet, which is fundable on the web usually at less than 1.- CHF.

So, you pay (35.90 x 25 =) almost 900.- CHF / 750 EUR at the end for the 50K. That's 1.5 eurocent per mile.

If there are some not able coming to Switzerland, let me know. Maybe I can help you out.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But bear in mind you can only buy these COOP miles if your residence address is in a country which borders Switzerland. So that rules out the UK, Scandinavia and US. You'd think they'd be happy to get the money. Is there any logic behind such a rule?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
So that rules out the UK, Scandinavia and US.
I'm not quite sure about that. The rule is right for the coop points, but it may go through just fine since you don't need a coop superpoints account for it and you'll never be asked for one during the process.

So, if someone out of "central europe" wants to try if it works, I'll gladly give him the code for 2'000 miles. In exchange he'll buy me a coffee next time he's visiting Switzerland. Just PM me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.