Search

Really bad LH ground service at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Really bad LH ground service at ORD

I'm trying to decide whether I should just shake this off, or write LH.

After a recent MUC-ORD flight we landed significantly early (just under an hour early). So far so good.

Clearly ORD wasn't ready for us - this happens so this is just an aside.

After landing we take an excrutiatingly slow tour of the entire airport - we landed right by the INTL terminal and then toured all the way around the terminals at about 1 MPH, twice. Clearly biding time - again this happens.

After 40 minutes we finally approach a gate and the pilot announces this wasn't our original gate and points out that we're still arriving early. LOL. Then we wait another 15 minutes 5 feet from the gate because the ground crew wasn't ready.

Finally get to baggage claim where we wait 45 minutes more without a single bag appearing. At this point someone comes by to announce there will be a "slight" delay. I lose it and say "Slight?, we've already been waiting 45 minutes." Finally about 10 minutes later bags start to appear, but all jumbed together - the "priority" bags weren't first.

As a business customer, with bags properly tagged "priority" and with no line at immigration, it took us almost 2 hours after landing to exit the airport.

Final blow? There were four of us in our party, all flying FLR-MUC-ORD with a 1:10 connection at MUC. Two of our party got their bags and the bags of the other 2 were left behind in MUC with no good explanation - FLR-MUC was early, so the connection was actually more like 1:30, more than enough time for bags to connect at MUC.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And what would be the point writing LH about? They clearly cannot control where a plane is to be parked and also have little control over when your bags are put on the belts.....
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RTW1
...and also have little control over when your bags are put on the belts.....
??? Whether LH is providing the service with their own staff, or contracting out at ORD, they still bear responsibility for the customer experience, and if it is taking 2 hours for the first customers to complete the transit of the airport that should signal a performance gap.

Last edited by milepig; Apr 22, 2014 at 9:55 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH434 landed a bit early quite a few times the last few days: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH434

ORD is a cluster when you arrive early. I recall arriving early on AM once and we got a gate, but were not allowed to deplane because CBP was not ready for us.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
ORD is a cluster when you arrive early. I recall arriving early on AM once and we got a gate, but were not allowed to deplane because CBP was not ready for us.
Agree. It doesn't matter what airline you fly on (well I suppose AirForce One gets a different treatment level as it seems often to be parked at ORD)- if you are early, late, or on-time- ORD will treat you the way they feel like and you damn well better like it!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by milepig
and if it is taking 2 hours for the first customers to complete the transit of the airport that should signal a performance gap.
Yeah... waiting sucks, and you were pissed. We get that.
But assigning parking spaces and luggage belts is not something any airline controls. It's the airport that is responsible for your below par experience.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
But assigning parking spaces and luggage belts is not something any airline controls. It's the airport that is responsible for your below par experience.
+1

...and we all know how the 'aviation infrastructure' in the US is performing these days.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:51 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Yeah... waiting sucks, and you were pissed. We get that.
Still -- if enough customers complain to LH, LH will in turn complain to the airport. The airline has much more influence than customers in this respect. And they are still the customer's contract partner and responsible for/interested in a positive experience.

HTB.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That I agree on... but LH's influence at ORD might not be that significant either.

And while I get that someone might get a little upset while it happens, I really don't see much of a complaint in the fact that you're out of the airport within one hour of the scheduled arrival time. Even when arriving early....
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:16 pm

OP we can understand your frustration, but this is not LH's fault. The same can be said of any of a number of other N. American airports. It is the airport operating authorities who are to blame. And the CBP answer to no one anyway. ORD is just a prime example of the "Chicago way" that is ruining the USA these days.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FD1971
+1

...and we all know how the 'aviation infrastructure' in the US is performing these days.
They are following the excellent blueprint of Frankfurt which has to be one of the best examples in the world.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
I disagree with what some are saying.

Yes it wasn't directly the fault of LH, but you still have to complain to LH as you have a contract with them, not the airport. And LH decides who services the aircraft and only the only ones who can apply pressure.

So I would write and complain, but state that you understand that they are not fully responsible but that you want to bring it to there attention and this this resulted is a poor perception of the LH experience.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
IMHO, let it go.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
So I would write and complain, but state that you understand that they are not fully responsible but that you want to bring it to there attention and this this resulted is a poor perception of the LH experience.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.