Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa lashes out at Norwegian

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lufthansa lashes out at Norwegian

Lufthansa’s CEO is accusing his counterpart at Norwegian, Bjørn Kjos, of bringing the same type of crewing loopholes to the skies that the shipping industry launched at sea years ago, and he wants them closed.

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2014/03/...-at-norwegian/
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Nice find!
For once I tend to agree with the outgoing CEO of LH.

However, this part made me chuckle:
“When we fly to Thailand, we export German labour standards to Thailand. When Thai Airways flies to Europe, they import their labour standards to us..."
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Nice find!

“When we fly to Thailand, we export German labour standards to Thailand. When Thai Airways flies to Europe, they import their labour standards to us..."
I somewhat agree- however I think the slope is quite slippery- protesting this while closing call centers in Germany and relocating to Turkey or outsourcing all the drivers at the FCT in FRA strikes me in the category of "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I somewhat agree- however I think the slope is quite slippery- protesting this while closing call centers in Germany and relocating to Turkey or outsourcing all the drivers at the FCT in FRA .....
or outsourcing sales of upscale Swiss watches in various Italian cities to the piazzas and people from Nigeria...

"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".
You did not really understand the concept of Lobbying, didn't you? @:-)

Outsourcing cockpit jobs to countries with lower standards than otherwise known in the European Union has resulted in catastrophic events, for example at Crossair more than 20 years ago.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FD1971
Outsourcing cockpit jobs to countries with lower standards than otherwise known in the European Union has resulted in catastrophic events, for example at Crossair more than 20 years ago.
They are discussing flight attendants.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
This was really rich. I understand what he meant, however...

“This is an entirely new development in the airline industry,” Franz told DN. “We respect Norwegian highly and gladly compete against them on long-haul routes, but that must take place on the same terms.”
As far as I know, Norwegian and Lufthansa DO compete on the same terms--they just have different business models and organizational structures. As far as I know, there is nothing that stops LH from using a similar strategy as DY.

I somewhat agree- however I think the slope is quite slippery- protesting this while closing call centers in Germany and relocating to Turkey or outsourcing all the drivers at the FCT in FRA strikes me in the category of "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".
You misunderstand. Such measures are natural consequences of LH's desire to adjust their product offering in response to customer demand...

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Nice find!

For me, I am really incensed that countries like Germany so callously exploit their highly developed technology and educated workforce to unfairly produce products that simultaneously have high quality and high performance, and they sell them on the global market at a premium! It is pathetic.

Such practices produce a vicious circle whereby the obscene profits produced by such exploitation are reinvested into even more advanced products. Furthermore, the workers are paid more, which raises their standard of living far above the global average, and forces upon them unbelievable working conditions (there are firms here in my town where people sometimes work until 2pm on Fridays! Can you imagine?). These conditions also tend to attract the most ambitious and/or talented workers to Germany from around the globe away from their homes so that they, too can earn more money and work shorter hours, instead of remaining in their homeland and struggling to develop a domestic market where typical incomes reach as high as 10EUR per day...

It is so unfair!
I How on earth will manufacturers in developing countries ever be able to compete against such dirty tricks?...I have heard a one anecdotal story of an American consultant who was lured to Germany and as a result earns so much money, that after paying taxes in Germany and the US, he can even afford to fly in LH F sometimes. Totally offensive...we need to level the playing field!

Last edited by N1003U; Mar 18, 2014 at 6:13 am Reason: PLAYING field
Suspended

They are discussing flight attendants.
...selling watches mid-flight?

Sorry, but I seldomly read your links these days, I am not over Popova yet...

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I am quite surprised to know that Norwegian will open a crew base in FL.

They should have opted for a base in Minnesota, which is a well known state for having a large community with Scandinavian decent.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..Outsourcing cockpit jobs to countries with lower standards than otherwise known in the European Union has resulted in catastrophic events, for example at Crossair more than 20 years ago.
You and and your time travel habits again!

For us mortals, the Crossair crashes happened 14 and 12 years ago @:-) .
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by N1003U
...we need to level the plain field!
I am sure you mean the plane field.

Or field the plane ... ?

Or bevel the playing field?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:00 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
So LH already bashed EK, then TK, now DY? Who would be the next one For now they achieved very little - yes they blocked EK entry into the BER market, but the opportunity was taken by EYdbaAB - TK is still growing like crazy (still making a lot of money). Would they succeed with DY - I do not think so...

Last edited by TPJ; Mar 18, 2014 at 9:33 am Reason: bashed not based
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
So LH already based EK, then TK, now DY? Who would be the next one For now they achieved very little - yes they blocked EK entry into the BER market, but the opportunity was taken by EYdbaAB - TK is still growing like crazy (still making a lot of money). Would they succeed with DY - I do not think so...
DY success might encourage FR and others to take the plunge and start long haul routes - pressuring LH on their so far fairly secure and profitable western TATL front.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lack
DY success might encourage FR and others to take the plunge and start long haul routes - pressuring LH on their so far fairly secure and profitable western TATL front.
Norwegian's long haul routes are tremendously sucessful.

I expect them to earn millions, if not more. ^

It is always a great idea to fly a very expensive aircraft and fill it with low cost costumers and tourists.

P.S.

Take a closer look at the S&LB transactions many LCC did to understand how they make money from 'operations'
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by weero
I am sure you mean the plane field.

Or field the plane ... ?

Or bevel the playing field?
Damn autocorrect! Need to go edit that...thanks for pointing out...

Beveling the playing field...I like the idea!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:22 am

Norwegian's long haul routes are tremendously sucessful.
Not sure about their financial success, but I guess the worlds best airline management wouldn't be bothered if they weren't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.