Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Aircraft Downgrade [FRA-ASB-GYD vv]- A330 to 321 - No refund for business ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft Downgrade [FRA-ASB-GYD vv]- A330 to 321 - No refund for business ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, LH FT, Hilton Gold, IC Ambassador

Had an awful experience with M&M call center earlier today. Recieved a reschedule email a few days ago. No major time change, however I noticed my seating allocation had changed on the mid-haul sector (FRA-GYD). Looking at my booking it appears they have switched the standard aircraft (A330 or A340) to an A321, so a BIG difference and downgrade in Business Class.

I take it route regularly and was surprised. The only reason to fly LH on this is because they are the only European carrier to operate a widebody, proper seats and service in Business. I can save a fortune and fly BA economy and have better seating, entertainment for a fraction of the price/miles.

On calling the service center (Germany) and explaining the situation I was told, very rudely by the supervisor that I had to pay 50 euro to cancel or change. No other option. Refused to let me speak to anyone more senior, or have it referred to them. I was told it was still a business seat, albeit minus the product I booked (power point, almost-lie flat seat, entertainment system) etc and the booking terms applied. This is at odds with the email that was sent to me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Did they waive the fee? It appears my only option is to write to them, although I was really shocked by their inflexible and ignorant attitude to the issue. Really gave a poor impression of LH.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Indeed, they quietly stopped A330 service to ASB/GYD eff 21JUL2014:

Code:

ASB-FRA künftig mit einem Airbus A321

Ab 21. Juli 2014 setzen wir auf der Strecke Frankfurt (FRA) – Baku (GYD) – Ashgabat (ASB) ein Flugzeug vom Typ Airbus A321 ein. Diese Umstellung auf ein Kontflugzeug ist zum einen der Nachfrageentwicklung geschuldet, zum anderen der Wirtschaftlichkeit auf dieser Strecke.

Vor allem die höheren Treibstoffkosten und die im Verhältnis zur Flugstrecke niedrigen Durchschnittserlöse machen die Umstellung erforderlich, um die Strecke weiterhin wirtschaftlich betreiben zu können. So verbraucht eine A321 zirka 45 Prozent weniger Kerosin als eine A330 - bei nur acht Prozent geringerer Sitzplatzkapazität.

Trotz der Umstellung brauchen unsere Passagiere auch künftig nicht auf das Bordunterhaltungsprogramm zu verzichten. Die auf dieser Strecke eingesetzte A321-Flotte wird überwiegend mit dem neuen Wireless Inflight Entertainment Programm ausgestattet sein. Zur Nutzung verbindet der Fluggast seinen eigenen Laptop, sein Tablet oder Smartphone per WLAN mit dem bord-eigenen Infotainment-Server.

Bislang bedienen wir die Strecke mit einer A330-300 mit der Konfiguration 8 First/48 Business/161 Economy.

Die Umstellung in den Reservierungssystemen erfolgt am morgigen Mittwoch.

CI/L

I would appeal to the lurkers and ask for my money back and rebook into Y.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:36 am

perhaps also request resolution by email.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Same bollocks arguments they used for CAI/TLV swap to narrowbody.
I'd rebook on an airline with proper service if available or fly Y.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Same bollocks arguments they used for CAI/TLV swap to narrowbody.
I'd rebook on an airline with proper service if available or fly Y.
Good suggestion. Switch airlines and ask for a full refund.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Good suggestion. Switch airlines and ask for a full refund.
The only alternative would be on TK's B738/A321 with a layover in IST. LH was the only one getting to GYD with a widebody (and direct flight) from FRA. At least this was the case when I went there for a meeting last year in May.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shamrock104
On calling the service center (Germany) and explaining the situation I was told, very rudely by the supervisor that I had to pay 50 euro to cancel or change. No other option.
I really doubt the agent told you that "very rudely".... it's far more likely they simply told you what your options are without much empathy for how you are feeling. It's common here to state that the treatment was rude when people don't get what they want.

And even though I get your point, from a legal standpoint you are SOL. The airlines have "manipulated" the regs in such a way that if they call it business class they are (in general) covered having fulfilled their obligations. Simply pay the EUR 50 cancellation fee if that was the fare condition and be done with it, it's not worth the trouble for such a small amount.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN + many more
<..it's not worth the trouble for such a small amount.> And change the airline! Really! LH should realize the drop in the pax load factor. I'm sure, it already has... Close to 20 flights for me already and not a single one by LH (though, I do fly LX)...))
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
Given that there is enough advance notice, I believe that you can ask politely to get the cancellation waived and just walk away. If they happen to not waive it, just cancel, pay the "fine", and remember this next time you book.

Enjoy the fact you have time to change carriers (and not like many people on LX in ZRH-TLV-ZRH route which suffer this on and off with no advance notice).
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shamrock104
Had an awful experience with M&M call center earlier today. Recieved a reschedule email a few days ago. No major time change, however I noticed my seating allocation had changed on the mid-haul sector (FRA-GYD). Looking at my booking it appears they have switched the standard aircraft (A330 or A340) to an A321, so a BIG difference and downgrade in Business Class.

I take it route regularly and was surprised. The only reason to fly LH on this is because they are the only European carrier to operate a widebody, proper seats and service in Business. I can save a fortune and fly BA economy and have better seating, entertainment for a fraction of the price/miles.

On calling the service center (Germany) and explaining the situation I was told, very rudely by the supervisor that I had to pay 50 euro to cancel or change. No other option. Refused to let me speak to anyone more senior, or have it referred to them. I was told it was still a business seat, albeit minus the product I booked (power point, almost-lie flat seat, entertainment system) etc and the booking terms applied. This is at odds with the email that was sent to me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Did they waive the fee? It appears my only option is to write to them, although I was really shocked by their inflexible and ignorant attitude to the issue. Really gave a poor impression of LH.
With high fares, a pre-dawn departure and intra-European connections onto Germanwings, the only reason to fly LH on the GYD/FRA route was for the decent Business Class cabin. Switching to a narrow bodied Airbus means crap legroom and the middle seat kept free. I'm afraid LH will need to come up with something better than that to get me back on them out of Baku. LH seems to be going from bad to worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.