Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles and More Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Miles and More Advice

Long story but I will try to keep it clear...

I live in the US but work in Russia. My company flies me round trip from Denver to Moscow every other month (one month I fly to Moscow, the next month I fly back to Denver). My company buys the cheapest seats they can and I always get the "U" class. The flights have all been operated by Lufthansa.

I am currently silver with United but they won't do anything for me as far as an upgrade from the U class. So, I am thinking I should start up a Miles and More account and start working towards their Senator program.

Here is what I am trying to decide: is it worth it to keep using my United Mileage Plus and accumulate miles with them or should I switch and start using M+M? Does anyone know how generous LH would be with upgrades for me if I am traveling with the U class?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
U class is a cheap eco. M and M is good if flying in business or first class. In eco LH is not very interested in you. Upgrades are expensive, mileage given is poor.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Golden
U class is a cheap eco. M and M is good if flying in business or first class. In eco LH is not very interested in you. Upgrades are expensive, mileage given is poor.
Thanks; I'm guessing it's not worth much one way or the other..
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Just remember...

Just remember that if you do not fly at least 4 segments a year on United, you will not even get the silver status on UA's program. With 6 RT/year DEN-MOW you should reach at least 50K, which would make you a FTL on M&M, which is good for two years. So you could make FTL the first year and then consider your options the second year while you still enjoy FTL....
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:34 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
3 return trips DEN-FRA-DME in U should earn 34,734 M&M miles, so with one or two shorthaul flights you will reach 35k miles and FTL status. Once you are FTL each DEN-FRA-DME return in U should earn 14,474 miles with executive bonus. If you do 6 DEN-DME returns plus a few shorthaul trips you will earn almost 80k miles in a year. If you can do some mileage runs in the US where they can be done more cheaply than in Europe, collecting 100k miles in a calendar year for Senator status may not be impossible. And the status is good for two years.

SEN status will give you lounge access in most airports which might make your trips slightly more tolerable.

One advantage of M&M miles over MP miles is U booking class on LH is upgrdable with miles. I agree 50k miles per segment is not cheap but at least your employer has paid for the flights and (most of the) miles and you should be able to upgrade your TATL flight to Business once or twice a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.