Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Lufthansa ever offer compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by dre_techie
Well, if imbecility reigns instead of the pragmatism of allowing a pax in the highest CoS to finish his drink they most certainly don't deserve the OP's money.

We're not talking AA, being nearly arrested for ordering orange juice at the wrong time...

On a personal note, I arrived BKK, ground services were superb. I was one of 2 HON in F, cabin was full. I did not receive PJs or amenity kit until I asked the purser for some while she brought the menus. Also had to remind them that it would be nice to have hot towels before I eat the amuse bouche. Food service was nice and everything else was smooth.

I think they lucked out (or had more than enogh) with my food choices, as I was asked/served 5th...

On a separate note, the FAs were so distracted with chatter they forgot to arm the slides. Purser had to say again that "not all slides are armed". And I don't know how much room for interpretation there is on that one..
Come on, you are making things up, you had an attitude and I am sure you were on an award ticket Also, LH is the safest airline in the world and it is impossible that a well paid LH FA would not be behaving according to instructions made by the purser
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
A crew member would never take a drink away "mid-sip".
They did. Thats what surprised me. The guy in the seat beside me gave me a smile when it happened.

The bags you may have a claim for, and perhaps the seat....but if you approach this with an attitude....good luck, you won't get anything.
I haven't heard back yet, I know I should of done it at the airport but after 54 hours travelling and waiting a hour for bags I just wanted my bed!

But I have a sense that there was a bit of DYKWIA coming from OP.
I know exactly who I am, I'm a 19 year old who flys regularly enough for my age who got an award seat in First Class. I'll probably be flying to China 3-4 times return in the next year but am by no means a frequent flyer or VIP.

PJ's not matching? they never have, they're coordinated.
I'll admit the PJ complaint was just thrown in, its really not that important but I fail to see how they are co-ordinated. Just to make sure the bottoms are a polyester grey and the top is a navy cotton?

Originally Posted by milesfixed
I know that Lufthansa policy is to collect all glasses in business and first class as soon as the plane is moving (for safety reasons i guess). Some crew are very strict with this procedure, some are not. It surprised me at the beginning but now I got accustomed to it. They usually politely tell you to either finnish it or give it back half full. Hard to believe they grab it as it was touching your lips though...
Swiss has the same procedure
If it's the policy it's fine and I had no problem giving it up. Just the way it was done surprised me. It seems to vary by airline, United crew just said to finish it and put it in the pocket for take off.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

One thing I haven't seen you mention yet... did you tell the FA there was a problem with your seat? For this I personally would like to have a remedy on the spot, compensation for something like this doesn't seem adequate if other F seats were available.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
One thing I haven't seen you mention yet... did you tell the FA there was a problem with your seat? For this I personally would like to have a remedy on the spot, compensation for something like this doesn't seem adequate if other F seats were available.
Yes, I did but they weren't able to fix it. My bed had already been made and the cabin was quite so thought it would be OK. But then duty free came in and the privacy screen would have been nice. Not nice looking up and seeing some guys arse sticking over your seat.

I'm not overly fussed about compensation, was just wondering whats the norm. For me, I would compensate a customer with a complaint and that normally leads to repeat business. As I said before, if I got a €250 voucher I would book LH to China which is €6.5 now I'm going Turkish instead.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vuzuggu
YAs I said before, if I got a €250 voucher I would book LH to China which is €6.5 now I'm going Turkish instead.
Good luck with that.

I would far rather fly CA to China than TK and fly both quite often.

If 250 EUR changes your decisions in airlines where you are spending 100K a year- my goodness!

FYI from the United States the best way to China absolutely is CX.

Even LH would agree with this statement.

I don't think you can get any first class ticket to China for 6.5K though- maybe discounted business... maybe...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Good luck with that.

I would far rather fly CA to China than TK and fly both quite often.

If 250 EUR changes your decisions in airlines where you are spending 100K a year- my goodness!

FYI from the United States the best way to China absolutely is CX.

Even LH would agree with this statement.

I don't think you can get any first class ticket to China for 6.5K though- maybe discounted business... maybe...

I don't spend 100K a year on airline tickets. Far from it maybe 30K in a year with lots of flying.

I live in Ireland so Dublin -> Frankfurt -> Beijing is €6.5k in First.

The reason I am looking for Turkish now is they have good flight times and heard good reviews about their crew. Granted it's business but to me a nice crew is makes such a difference.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
After 65 days of waiting, I finally received a reply from LH concerning the compensation for a delayed arrival. Several points lead me to thinking who on earth is working at LH (or who is screening the applications):

direct quotations from LH communication:

1) "the departure delay of the flight was less than 2 hours and the terms of the EU Regulation 261/2004 do not apply in this instance."
2) "technical issues are clearly stated as conditions that release Lufthansa from compensation requirements."
3) "after diversion, we have completed a very thorough check before starting to fly again" - yeah, right, and that is why we returned two times.

The sage will continue...
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by olm022
After 65 days of waiting, I finally received a reply from LH concerning the compensation for a delayed arrival. Several points lead me to thinking who on earth is working at LH (or who is screening the applications):
This is exactly their strategy: (1) stall as long as they can, in hopes that you will forget about it (and leave them alone), and/or (2) lie unashamedly, in hopes that you will accept it (and leave them alone).

They tried this with us, in refusing to reimburse the hotel and meals ('not our responsibility') when Mrs999 and I were stranded at FRA for two days due to the 2010 ash-cloud fiasco. In the end they danced for us, however, when prodded by the Finnish small-claims court.

cheers,

Henry
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Cool

Originally Posted by Vuzuggu
I flew Washington to Frankfurt Lufthansa First Class, Frankfurt to Copenhagen Lufthansa Business and Copenhagen to Dublin on SAS Business.
I got a letter which just about apologies but offered no compensation! Is that normal for Lufthansa?
LH almost never offers anything. They would, if you insist, give you maybe 5.000 miles compensation, that's all.
I cannot believe that what you say really happened with LH cabin crew.
I have NEVER had unprofessional crew on any LH flight for the last 20 years.

Last but not least, I would like to ask you why are you paying to fly LH First as there are lots of other airlines with much better product?

I think we all are a little responsible to still mantain LH revenue, as we still fly them.
I remember my last 5 Business trips on LH. Total disaster! Never again, and I am not willing to pay 5x more for First class to see how they do it!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Strange.
Was it a paid ticket?
INVOL downgrade F to J is 4500 EUR MCO plus fare difference.
I received it once on an equipment swap ORD-FRA. The plane they sent was a 2 class due to a mechanical problem. I could have waited for the MUC flight but I really needed to get to Europe for a meeting.
Fare difference refunded to our T Agency. 4500 EUR MCO to me- I gave it to one of our employees for vacation and they were very happy !
I had good and bad experience with LH
I had a invol downgrade due to equipment swap IAH- FRA way back in 2006, got EUR 3000 (I think) and fare diff, no questions asked. What I expected them to do.
And in another instance, they misconnected me FRA-SIN (the flight was still at the gate and was closing when i was fetched from my inbound by a LHGirl who was waiting for me as i had a 80 min delay. She kept telling the gate on the Walkie talkie we are on our way, but the gate agent decided I am not going to make it and upgraded someone to 82K). no room in SQ325 in Any class, was given the option of taking SQ 25 next day in F, had to be in SIN for a meeting so ended up in QF Y the same night. This time they threw the rule book at me saying it was not invol downgrade as I did not make it to the gate on time, the flight was closed, i chose to fly in Y, so no fare diff or comp.. Took six months and intervention of someone high up in LH to get them to admit that I could have got into the flight if they had a seat for me. Not what I expected from LH and very bad form.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo

Last but not least, I would like to ask you why are you paying to fly LH First as there are lots of other airlines with much better product?
It was an award ticket to 'test out' LH first. Never flown their First before and their Business is a write off for me due to the lack of lie flat bed.

Looking forward to flying Turkish in the Summer.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
And a new version of Lufthansa's nonsense:

"Please allow us to advise you that there is no provision in the EU Regulation 261/2004 for compensation payments in case of diversion and delay. Of course, we take into consideration the decision of the European Court of Justice which specifies that an arrival delay of more than 3 hours may be treated as equivalent to cancellation. However, in such cases, there must also be a relevant departure delay within the terms of the EU Regulation which is respectively two, three or four hours depending on the distance of the flight. Since your flight had a departure delay of 42 minutes, the terms of the Regulation are not applicable. In light of the above circumstances, we are therefore unable to reconsider our decision on this matter."

LH, see you in small court...
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
I find it amazing how the OP is getting so much stick. From reading the posts, while young, the OP is simply recounting their trip and asking if compensation would be forthcoming based on feedback. Crew on any airline aren't always perfect, F isn't always empty, and yes there can be unprofessional reactions to young people on flights. I have flown LH F a handful of times and never had amazing crew, they have been "just fine" IMO compared to other airlines. 747 upstairs new F is still probably my favourite of all due to the seat and ground services.

That being said, a broken seat in F (especially on a new 7478) should definitely get meaningful compensation. It doesn't make a difference if paid by cash or miles. I don't understand people who think just because you pay by miles you should accept poor service or be treated differently. F is F.

Anyway, on the point of compensation, I just took a 45min flight, instead of the train, and Lufthansa have lost my bag, and now 24hrs later can't tell me when I can get it. Will I get anything worthwhile from LH? Probably not. I had to buy Lederhosen yesterday and now a suit, shirt and shoes today and a blackberry charger (my error throwing it in the hold). Total nightmare. Whats the best avenue to complain through?

Last edited by YClass; Oct 7, 2012 at 3:48 am
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think a lot of the skeptical reactions (including mine) have to do with the fact that some of the comments like grabbing a drink from your hands are something most of us have never experienced and is therefore hard to believe it happened without any other reason. It's so far off what is considered acceptable, even when we all know they collect the drinks before take-off, that it just feels exaggerated. Even when it isn't.

And the OP was also sketchy with details about what was wrong with the seat and why he wasn't able to just switch get another one during the flight....only later to admit he just accepted it because the bed was already made, and it seems that it was only the privacy screen that wasn't working.

And a lot of us don't really like the claim culture that seems rampant in the US, and the availability of all those (nearly) free miles.... so there you have it :-).

For your lost luggage.... this is something that is handled about the same for all airlines. No real use complaining, this is just one of those things that can happen (not that that is any consolation), you will be offered the standard compensation. Everything should have been included when you made the claim at the airport. It won't be sufficient to cover your real costs however, that's what travel insurance is for. At least you got some new lederhosen out of this
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:40 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YClass
Anyway, on the point of compensation, I just took a 45min flight, instead of the train, and Lufthansa have lost my bag, and now 24hrs later can't tell me when I can get it. Will I get anything worthwhile from LH? Probably not. I had to buy Lederhosen yesterday and now a suit, shirt and shoes today and a blackberry charger (my error throwing it in the hold). Total nightmare. Whats the best avenue to complain through?
Originally Posted by RTW1
For your lost luggage.... this is something that is handled about the same for all airlines. No real use complaining, this is just one of those things that can happen (not that that is any consolation), you will be offered the standard compensation.
I agree with RTW1 that YClass should seek reimbursement rather than compensation. He should be entitled to be reimbursed for his purchases according to LH's standard practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.