Wiki Posts
Search

Status and respect? [for LH FTL*S flying SQ]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleSeat
Just another reason to abandon *A
You dont seem to be wrong.. What about having your boarding pass marked *S? does this still happen?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by SwissFirst
So as a LH(S) there are no benefits to flying SQ. So why are they so proud to fly the Star Alliance flag?!?
Actually SQ is the worst partner in extending *A benefits to other airlines members
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Actually SQ is the worst partner in extending *A benefits to other airlines members
In your opinion what would be the best?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:23 am

In your opinion what would be the best?
LH+LX if you have status they treat you well then followed by UA.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Entirely agree. While both LX and LH are terrible airlines in longhaul coach, the incremental benefits for *G go well beyond the published benefits for the alliance.

With no priority boarding in many cities and no Biz lounges at the home fortress, SQ may indeed be the trailing end of the *A.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
And I just had the experience of a UA*G being pampered behind me by the purser on LH metal while SEN was ignored for a refill on the wine...!

Another incident: As SEN in F I was also recognized and greeted instead of a HON sitting right next to me...

So LH has it's priorities all wrong, for some reason!

And their own, even base PPS members - which is why I switched to flying LH long ago...

However, I would now consider carriers other than LH, due to all the diminished benefits.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:42 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The issue here is whether Star Silver benefits will apply on the SQ flight.

The answer is YES.

But Star Silver doesn't get you much these days...
*Priority Reservations Waitlisting
*Priority Airport Standby
and that's about it.

You will likely not get access to better economy seats, if they have any. Extra baggage, not any more. Priority check-in & boarding, not unless it's your own airline, if they offer it (LH in this case) .

And upgrades.... very, very unlikely (based on fare type may be a better factor)

I'd say that UA ranks pretty low in this regard as well.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Sep 9, 2012 at 4:26 am
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IsleSeat
Just another reason to abandon *A
You dont seem to be wrong.. What about having your boarding pass marked *S? does this still happen?
You better be a little more realistic about your status and the benefits it offers..... a bit much don't you think to have the lowest status and then expecting upgrades to C on partner airlines?
Don't bash an airline alliance when you are just a "lowly" *S but in your mind you are *G or even better Expect the benefits that are published, but nothing more...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I remember flying SQ in full fare Y on a 772 regional in Asia LH*S in the booking, but SK*G card in hand. At checkin I wanted to use the *G counter in Changi, the agent tried to send me away to the regular economy desk. 'computer says no' kind of situation. When I asked for a supervisor I was graciously allowed. Then I asked for a priority tag, which led to a second 'computer says you *S' discussion. My singlish wasn't good enough to ask for a FQTS setting so I let that discussion end quickly. Again, a priority tag was attached, but as I walked away I though I saw her tear off the tag before letting it proceed on the belt.

At the designated *G lounge the status on BP vs *G card in hand gave some head scratching but no discussion.

On arrival, C pax were given a separate bus on the apron and the priority tagged luggage was already off the belt and sorted by the time we got thru immigration. My luggage came very very late among the rest of the pleb.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I'd say that UA ranks pretty low in this regard as well.
As an LH HON I always get excellent treatment by UA staff in ORD and LAX despite being without any sort of status with UA.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:10 am

As an LH HON I always get excellent treatment by UA staff in ORD and LAX despite being without any sort of status with UA.
Oh really. Nice treatment...

...but you can't access the Economy Plus seats they give their own gold members, even on a high fare class (B,Y,C,D,F,A) ticket, IIRC
...but you can't board the aircraft with their Star Gold's, only with the economy line IIRC
...and no internet in their lounges, despite the signs that it's free, IIRC.

I don't care how nice they talk
They don't seem to TREAT all gold's equal.

Or at least that has been my experience.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:18 am

I'm fascinated by complaints of "not getting E+" made by (or on behalf of) elites from airlines that don't even have an equivalent...

What are you missing out on there... as your OWN airline doesn't give it to you either?

On UA IIRC *G boards right after UA's own top elites...

Does LH board "foreign" *Golds at the same time as HON and SEN? If not, again one must ask, why the complaint?

As an NZ *G who flies mostly on Asian and US *A carriers I have to say I rarely have to even prompt check in staff for the standard (published!!!) benefits...
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:25 am

But nevertheless, I think there is another piece of advice for the Original Poster.

SwissFirst, you say you are Frequent Traveler with LH. Depending on your flying patterns, you may be collecting miles in the wrong program.

EVEN IF YOU FLY THE SAME FLIGHTS, and only changing the airline you credit your miles to....

you could qualify for Star Gold, instead of Star Silver on LH!

The benefits are clearly better when flying, as a star gold member!
Just an idea... @:-) @:-) @:-)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by trooper
I'm fascinated by complaints of "not getting E+" made by (or on behalf of) elites from airlines that don't even have an equivalent...
Complaining about benefits that were never promised seems to be the norm lately.

All FFP's have their own good and bad things, the *S and *G status only cover a few of those.... And it really depends on your personal situation what's best for you. And that could well be FTL on M&M, even with the low mileage earnings and the ridiculous taxes/fees on awards.

I have held that status for a few years and since I nearly always flew LH/LX I benefited from that by having lounge access and an extra bag. And for a few long hauls in discounted economy I was able to select seats that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, such as 76A/K on the A380. A few times with a whole row to myself. Not a single op-up, but having such an expectation just isn't realistic.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Just out of curiosity, I am about to travel on a SQ flight LHR-SIN-MEL and hold the status of FQT (S). How likely are LH*S passengers ' to be upgraded ' , do they hold any sort of status with SQ and what would be the chances of changing seats at check-in for 'bulkhead' or 'preferred seats' Baiscally does LH(S) have any leverage on SQ flights?

Also how would the mileage work out for me?

When I travelled on SQ as *G (SK at the time) a couple of years ago I was speaking to one of the checkin agents in FRA and they told me that SQ never upgrade *G customers as it's against their policy. So I would say as *S then you have less of a chance.

But I did get priority boarding in SIN.

SQ charge (80 USD per sector?) for 'preferred' seats, including emergency and bulkhead. You can choose to do this when you checkin online (48 hours prior to departure). But this means that status does not help you get these seats, only cold hard cash (or credit card!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.