Wiki Posts
Search

Priority boarding now available on all European flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX

Just saw this in my M&M Portal, not sure if this was posted before, at least I couldn't find anything in FT using the Search function:

So that Business Class passengers, HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Gold card holders can enjoy even more relaxed boarding, priority boarding will be available to them on all European flights with a gate position from 3 September 2012. Priority boarding enables them to board before all other passengers, which means that they can calmly stow their hand luggage. An announcement will inform passengers of the new service before they board.

The aim of this service is to make travelling with Lufthansa as comfortable as possible for our passengers and to eliminate queuing times when boarding.

Really? On all European flights with a gate position? A real enhancement?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I suppose cramming FTL into the package was not an option *sigh*
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by gojko88
I suppose cramming FTL into the package was not an option *sigh*
I really hate segment boarding with priority, just being a segment. I think priority boarding only works if there is a separate line that is open all the time for priority passengers. In my mind the main point with priority boarding is that when I arrive from the lounge, I do need to do yet another stop at the airport before boarding. I want to be able to start boarding conveniently and efficiently when I arrive at the gate. I will not plan to leave th elounge early enough so that I can jump in when there is an announcement for priority passengers. This is nonsense...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: M&M SEN
I wonder if OS will follow as well ... in the new Vienna-terminal, this would be a huge improvement (even if I agree with wazow that ideally, you'd have a separate line)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Why is it only flights with a gate position? Why can't they have priority boarding for bus to plane boarding? KLM manage it very well at AMS.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You get to board the bus first witk KLM? But seriously, how do they do it in AMS, I never had to take a bus to an airplane there ?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Fokkers usually depart from bus gates at the B pier.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by BobBHX
Why is it only flights with a gate position? Why can't they have priority boarding for bus to plane boarding? KLM manage it very well at AMS.
I've had an announcement for priority boarding onto the bus. I nearly wet myself laughing. If there was a separate priority bus, then that would be fine, but all it means is that you get to board the bus first and get off it last.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Exactly... That was why I was wondering how they would do it. Last time when I didn't know I had to use a bus at FRA, I was also getting of the bus almost last...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
I think priority boarding only works if there is a separate line that is open all the time for priority passengers. In my mind the main point with priority boarding is that when I arrive from the lounge, I do need to do yet another stop at the airport before boarding.

I can only agree with that: If you arrive from the lounge at the boarding gate, and you see the zoo at boarding, it doesn´t help you that you might have been getting the chance to board first 10 minutes ago. ^
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Sorry, priority boarding or not within Europe, it's a pure gongshow on LH.

Even on my Z/D tickets and as *G they never make any effort in differentiating lines. Also I have yet to see announcements strictly for business/*G to actually board first...

One positive thing about LH are the clean cabin interiors.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by RTW1
You get to board the bus first witk KLM? But seriously, how do they do it in AMS, I never had to take a bus to an airplane there ?
easyJet managed it at Budapest by using buses with two sectors, separated by a chain(!), each sector with its own set of doors. The airline's "easy boarding" passengers were released from the bus first.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:16 am

LH priority boarding is a mess in their hubs. I don't get why they do it so properly in some outstations, for example SIN or some US stations and can't get it straight at home. I agree that there should be a seperate line for *G/SEN/HON/C to board all the time. So many times I come from the lounge 20-25mins before departure only to wait in line another 10-15mins to board.

Wouldn't it be very easy to program one of the automatic scanners so that it only works for elites to board there?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's probably not a technical challenge... but if they reserve one lane for *G the total boarding time will probably be longer.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: Hyatt&Hilton&BW Diamond,GHA Black,Marriott Plat,SPG Gold,AB Platinum,TK Elite,AZ Alata Plus,EY Gold
LHs policy about priority boarding is: we don't care.
To change this, there mus come a lot of changes. If they really want, it should be no problem to change procedures in a few months everywhere. I don't think so, but we will see.

Even in F they don't have priority boarding on a regular basis.
Only way to get priority boarding is to "board" through the first class terminal in FRA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.