Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied upgrade using UA Paper SWU

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sannmann
Yes, but is this "policy" actually stated on the back of the paper GPU?
Indeed it is clearly stated on the back:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-t...U%2520back.jpg

And the front of the document:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l...+GPU+front.jpg
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Of course, to make these things of even more dubious value: "Other restrictions may apply. Terms and conditions may change without notice."

These one-sided contracts are increasingly being declared void by American courts and even Congress (in the re-write of credit card T&Cs). Wonder when the EC will start to investigate such consumer-unfriendly boiler plate and start weighing in on the customers' side?

That said, I found this thread to be most informative. As I said in my earlier post, it is also revealing about LH's restrictive F award policy and gives a better idea if and why award seats will open on given flights a few days prior to departure.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:38 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Wouldn't asking the pax sign a waiver have more business sense?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by UA paper cert
8. [...] and will be processed based on the availability of capacity-controlled seats and meals.
Please explain me what is dubious about this sentence in the T&C?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:26 am

I do not want to start a discussion about the food in here - but to me clearly the seat (esp. on LH) is a way bigger reason than the meals to upgrade from C to F.
So in my understanding as a company LH should just take the cert and the pax signs sth. that she/he is willing to skip F meals and just take whatever there is on board - happy customer, happy airline.. ?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by ProfNapalm
happy customer, happy airline.. ?
Happy customer? Perhaps. But perhaps unhappy other customers in F who would see that as degradation of service (said here before).

Happy airline? Why? Revenue pax would make airline happy, but not UA's paper SWU upgrade...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
These one-sided contracts are increasingly being declared void by American courts and even Congress (in the re-write of credit card T&Cs). Wonder when the EC will start to investigate such consumer-unfriendly boiler plate and start weighing in on the customers' side?.
What is unclear in this language? And the EC will certainly not look into vouchers a US carrier issues in the US.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
That said, I found this thread to be most informative. As I said in my earlier post, it is also revealing about LH's restrictive F award policy and gives a better idea if and why award seats will open on given flights a few days prior to departure.
I do not consider LH's F awards policy restrictive. I get the seats I want. However, why should LH offer the same number of seats to other airline's customers? In particular customers of those airlines that treat their elites better than other airlines' elites
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Happy customer? Perhaps. But perhaps unhappy other customers in F who would see that as degradation of service (said here before).

Happy airline? Why? Revenue pax would make airline happy, but not UA's paper SWU upgrade...
Happy customer for sure.. and why would anybody else feel downgraded in Service if I do get another meal

And you do think that flying with an empty seat in F and a customer in paid C that could bring more revenue in the future and today as United surely will have to pay its share is better than accepting the SWU

I somehow fail to understand the logic of LH here.. or at least it wouldn' be mine..
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Something I'm not able to find: How do you earn these?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
United 1Ks earn 6 GPUs once they cross 100kEQM and two more every 50k: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx

Sort of what evouchers used to be at M&M a decade ago. Just like we could make a paper printout of an evoucher and present it to UA on the day of departure (when the confirmed upgrade didn't happen) UA issues the GPU in paper form for use on LH.

The confirmed upgrade with GPU on United metal has become expensive, so these are floating around and very frequently used on LH on a standby basis, which used to be a bad deal earlier.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by RTW1
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks, I was wondering how the specific use on LH was made... but now I know.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
United 1Ks earn 6 GPUs once they cross 100kEQM and two more every 50k: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx

Sort of what evouchers used to be at M&M a decade ago. Just like we could make a paper printout of an evoucher and present it to UA on the day of departure (when the confirmed upgrade didn't happen) UA issues the GPU in paper form for use on LH.

The confirmed upgrade with GPU on United metal has become expensive, so these are floating around and very frequently used on LH on a standby basis, which used to be a bad deal earlier.
So, if I understand correctly, the OP is concerned that LH is not honoring the upgrade because of capacity limitations (granted that the capacity issue is meals, not seats). However, the real problem seems to be that the OP's own airline isn't coming up to scratch with the upgrades they are offering driving the OP to use it on LH. Seems more like a UA problem than an LH problem.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:30 am

Why, the cert they issued clearly says if seats or meals are not available, you can't use this standby upgrade instrument. Its not like they are promising their top elite something will happen for sure...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Boghopper
...I don't think they would accept a revenue booking at that point either. I think it's smart, actually...
I once showed up in NRT and LH was delighted to upgrade me to First until the point where they found out that I didn't want to upgrade with cash but miles.

While they were able to cater for the flight for a cash upgrade, they were not willing to do so for miles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.