Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UFO FAs vote for strike action [merged discussion thread]]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I have a Z fare VCE-FRA-ORD next week. If a strike happens will I have some ability to suggest an alternative routing on another *A carrier of my choice, or must my choice be to accept what they offer or a refund? My concern is I must make the trip, but for what I paid I certainly wouldn't be happy if my only options were UA or US.
You certainly almost will not have the option to choose carriers, etc. The airline can accommodate you anyway they see necessary even it it involves different carriers, different class of travel, or even train and bus travel. They main objective is to get you to your final destination as quickly as possible when something like this happens.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
Hypothetical question... we're booked Vancouver - Frankfurt - Paris on Friday but my actual final destination is Barcelona. We added on an EasyJet flight much later that day as we had a change of plans after booking our initial flights. I'm less concerned about my Vancouver - Frankfurt flight but do have concerns about my Frankfurt to Paris flights.

IF they're going to send me on a different carrier (or train) that would miss my EasyJet flight, is there any hope that they would route me to Barcelona instead of Paris? I have no expectation of this, but I'm curious.

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by trackypup
Hypothetical question... we're booked Vancouver - Frankfurt - Paris on Friday but my actual final destination is Barcelona. We added on an EasyJet flight much later that day as we had a change of plans after booking our initial flights. I'm less concerned about my Vancouver - Frankfurt flight but do have concerns about my Frankfurt to Paris flights.

IF they're going to send me on a different carrier (or train) that would miss my EasyJet flight, is there any hope that they would route me to Barcelona instead of Paris? I have no expectation of this, but I'm curious.

Thanks
That is possible. When something like this strikes (pun intended) an airline, all bets are off. Once had an offer to go FRA-VIE (as my final destination was BTS) instead of a cancelled FRA-PRG, alas had to refuse as I had my car at the airport in PRG. Just do not bet anything important on it, YMMV.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
That is possible. When something like this strikes (pun intended) an airline, all bets are off. Once had an offer to go FRA-VIE (as my final destination was BTS) instead of a cancelled FRA-PRG, alas had to refuse as I had my car at the airport in PRG. Just do not bet anything important on it, YMMV.
Good to know, thank you. I certainly wouldn't bet on it just trying to look at alternatives.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I will fly on LH next Sat from LHR.
If strike happens, how early we will know it in advance?
Strike can happen all of a sudden? or in a few hours, in a few days etc?

What happened in the past?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
As far as I read it the cabin crew union has not been on strike in the recent past, so no precedent on this. It has been published by UFO that they will stage short-time walkouts first with little to no advance notice, so I guess preparing for this strike will be substantially problematic for the travelling public...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:55 pm

UFO just announced that no strikes will take place wednesday, but to expect them on Thursday. It would be a nice change of pace if they can settle this thing today!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Question is, will this be deemed "extraordinary circumstance" under EU 261?
Strikes require the airline to care for you (ie rebook you, put you up in a hotel, feed you etc) but no compensation due to the delay is due.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Ok, if strikes are announced for Thursday, what potential spill over is there for Friday?

I have a bit of a complicated routing on 2 different PNRs w/in *alliance - INN-FRA-ATH LH connecting to ATH-IST-PEK with TK. If there is a strike on Friday - and I am stuck in FRA - is it reasonable to assume that LH will only try to get me to ATH and NOT to IST to make my flight out to PEK? Or would they potentially put me on a FRA-IST flight with TK?

Suffice it to say I need to be in PEK and I am worried that I have no recourse to the outward TK flight if I miss it due to a strike by LH. Any Insight would be appreciated
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
UFO just announced that no strikes will take place wednesday, but to expect them on Thursday. It would be a nice change of pace if they can settle this thing today!
phiewww... flying LH just today and then in almost 3 weeks time. Good news.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It might take more than 3 weeks......
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, Qatar Privilege Club
I'm flying JNB-FRA-BOS tomorrow. Is the strike likely to affect the first leg out of JNB? Are the staff currently abroad also striking?

If they do change my routing with SA perhaps, might they put me on a JNB-JFK or JNB-IAD flight? If that is the case would it be a high fare class (150% EQM on UA MP)?

Please excuse the multiple questions.

Thanks,
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The answer is... Nobody knows yet.
Although their first actions won't be strikes that last for days...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Sphinx21
I'm flying JNB-FRA-BOS tomorrow. Is the strike likely to affect the first leg out of JNB? Are the staff currently abroad also striking?

If they do change my routing with SA perhaps, might they put me on a JNB-JFK or JNB-IAD flight? If that is the case would it be a high fare class (150% EQM on UA MP)?

Please excuse the multiple questions.

Thanks,
Usually what LH tries to do is to keep long haul operations going by taking staff from SH aircraft. Its much cheaper (sometimes even to their benefit) to not operate SH, compared to long haul flights. So cancelling long haul flights usually is usally their last resort measure. Given it is the first day of strike, I assume you will be fine with your two LH legs. But as always in live, there's no guarantee
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
In my case it´s more complicated because tomorrow I have a MAD-FRA-SIN (in "C") and if some SH flights are cancelled (like MAD-FRA), I´ll have a problem...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.