UFO FAs vote for strike action [merged discussion thread]]

Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Communications aside launching a seat sale in the middle of the largest strike for many years doesn't strike me as the smartest decision a company can make.
It is a well known fact that LH is suffering from weak communications between different departments complimented by lack of coordination.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
The rest of the story ...

Today's ATL-FRA flight (along with our FCO connection) was canceled while we were in the air last night from MIA-ATL. I dialed LH upon landing (which is the only info they had under my res online - canceled, call us!) and held for exactly an hour before giving up and heading off to dinner. Got back - it's about midnight now - and called UA. Somehow after entering my PNR, I ended up at the silver desk with a very sympathetic, albeit frazzled CSR.

It was a bit frustrating that she was only willing to rebook us onto flights with award seats open (albeit with the change fee waived), claiming the 'ol 'it's not our problem' line. But, when I asked if I should be talking to LH instead (presuming anyone would ever answer), she said no because it's a UA mileage ticket.

So, she started by saying no way she could get us to FCO or anywhere near for at least a couple of days. She would only look at *A (even though we could go nonstop on DL). She flat out refused to consider C or F, although availability was there, unless I used miles for the difference. I kind of hemmed and hawed and then all of a sudden she could get us to Geneva. More hemming and hawing on my part and all of a sudden she has X seats to Milan. Ok, I say. Then she puts me on hold, comes back and says she has us to Rome via EWR on Friday. I asked her if she'd put us in E+ for our trouble and she said no problem.

So mostly a positive experience. We get to Rome about 19 hours later than our original flight. I'm actually kind of grateful that LH canceled so proactively. They could have waited and called the bluff or whatever, which would have made rebooking even more of a nightmare.

Nice to reunite with FT for a minute and you all are great in this forum. Hope this labor situation gets sorted soon.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:55 pm

We are flying SFO to FRA on UA connecting on LH to CDG. As a backup, I've booked an Air France flight from FRA to CDG. Does Air France share the same terminal in Frankfurt?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: CO Plat, IC RA, *wood Plat, JGC Premier
wait so if they cancel the flight because of labour action.. does that mean that it can become a trip in vain situation?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN, EK Gold,OW SIL, SPG GOLD.
No, Air France is in Terminal 2 and LH in 1. You should be fine.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
DELETED

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Sep 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: United Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Can someone help me out. I am coming from South Africa to Frankurt, then onto AMS. Wil lthe first class terminal still be functioning in Frankfurt. This is in the next few days, will I still be able to go or is it likely to be cancelled? I am so lost on this matter, please help out, thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by ashcoza
Can someone help me out. I am coming from South Africa to Frankurt, then onto AMS. Wil lthe first class terminal still be functioning in Frankfurt. This is in the next few days, will I still be able to go or is it likely to be cancelled? I am so lost on this matter, please help out, thanks!
Will you be flying from JNB before 11:59PM September 8th?

If so, you can contact Lufthansa to get rebooked onto Swiss (they currently have very limited availability in F from JNB-ZRH on Sept 8/9/10). They currently allow you to rebook onto Swiss (LX) flights free of charge if you are due to fly out before 11:59PM Sept 8th [even if your flight is not yet cancelled] (your new flight can be up to November 30th).
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: United Gold, Fairmont Platinum
nope, on the 9th or 10th probably and its a first class so would they give first on swiss? or actually since its after the 8th, a reroute at all? wow the uncertainty sucks
and things in frankfurt, the first terminal still operating?

any chances this thing gets resolved, has it happened before in this manner?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ashcoza
nope, on the 9th or 10th probably and its a first class so would they give first on swiss? or actually since its after the 8th, a reroute at all?
No, you are outside the (current) window in which Lufthansa allows rebooking with rerouting for free. If the windows should change and include your dates, then yes, you would be able to rebook into LX-F if they have seats.

wow the uncertainty sucks and things in frankfurt, the first terminal still operating?
F-Terminal is completely unaffected by the strike. This should be the least of your worries...

any chances this thing gets resolved, has it happened before in this manner?
Depends on how the informal talks that are reportedly go on today will work out - if they stall one should expect more strikes next week.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:23 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Interesting titbit. According to a Infratest dimap poll 75% of Germans show sympathy for LH cabin crew's cause. Quite a slap in the face for management then.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:29 am
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Interesting titbit. According to a Infratest dimap poll 75% of Germans show sympathy for LH cabin crew's cause. Quite a slap in the face for management then.
These Germans are crazy!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by highman123
These Germans are crazy!
Well, so about 90% in Europe thought about the US-americans, when they voted (and even more when they revoted) 'lil George W. in 2000/2004..
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by highman123
These Germans are crazy!
Why? They probably know more about the issues that are in dispute than you do... judging by your post that has no substance...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:41 am

flying 9/7, sfo -< fra -> blr

SO I am flying today, SFO -> FRA -> BLR (flight leaves SFO on Sept 7, arrives FRA on Sept 8, arrives BLR on Sep 9). And to my surprise, the flight has not been cancelled as yet (Sept 6 departure from SFO to FRA was cancelled, but Sept 7 is showing as "scheduled", as is my connection). I am leery of getting stuck on FRA, what do you think my chances are of completing this flight without a hiccup ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.