Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to transfer American Express points to Lufthansa.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

How to transfer American Express points to Lufthansa.

Howdy,

I have 240,000 AE points that I want to use for a couple upgrades on Lufthansa. However, American Express does not list Lufthansa as miles transfer option. Any ideas on how I can still use the points to upgrade? Can I transfer the miles to Swiss Air and upgrade thru them? (Amex transfers there and they are in same alliance as Lufthansa, as I am sure y'all know)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Have you checked WebFlyer Mileage Converter? You can convert MR points to Miles & More miles via another programme but depending on the country where your card is registered the conversion rate may not be that attractive.

You cannot transfer points/miles to Lufthansa or SWISS, so you will have to open an account with Miles & More if you don't have one already. Alternatively you may be able to transfer and use miles in another frequent flyer programme within Star Alliance but there may be more restrictions than using Miles and More miles.

Check this website:
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...pgrade-awards/
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by mattyb2233
Howdy,

I have 240,000 AE points that I want to use for a couple upgrades on Lufthansa. However, American Express does not list Lufthansa as miles transfer option. Any ideas on how I can still use the points to upgrade? Can I transfer the miles to Swiss Air and upgrade thru them? (Amex transfers there and they are in same alliance as Lufthansa, as I am sure y'all know)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Depends on where you are. For example in Australia, you can transfer to SPG and then to M&M. Not the best return, but a way to do it...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by mattyb2233
Can I transfer the miles to Swiss Air and upgrade thru them? (Amex transfers there and they are in same alliance as Lufthansa, as I am sure y'all know)
ASFAIK, you can't transfer to 'Swiss Air', only redeem for a voucher, and with fees it is not priced that great.

LH and LX have the same loyalty program, Miles & More.

You could use your AMEX MR on Air Canada, among others. Others can tell you if you can use those Aeroplan miles for upgrading a LH flight.

(this is for USA, which may or may not be where the OP is from)

Last edited by will2288; Jul 19, 2012 at 6:36 am Reason: added part about USA
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I've the same issue of the OP.
Amex MR call center answered with a clear no-no.

They only allow this onto Skyteam.
At least in Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.