Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Airbus A380 fleet should be grounded, say engineers"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
LH flights to/from NRT is usually full of Japanese tourists in Y (and some in C) but this is not a high tourist season for them.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Question

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
LH flights to/from NRT is usually full of Japanese tourists in Y (and some in C) but this is not a high tourist season for them.
maybe also the tsunami and Fukushima effect.

Have you any idea why the 380s are grounded and why they swapped them for 346s to Narita? Wing cracks syndrome?

Are the two things linked?

Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CDG1
maybe also the tsunami and Fukushima effect.
Fukushima possibly for visitors to Japan but hardly the tsunami. During the Christmas/New Year period 19% more Japanese travelled abroad compared with the same period the year before but January/February is not a popular tourist season for them.

Have you any idea why the 380s are grounded and why they swapped them for 346s to Narita? Wing cracks syndrome?

Are the two things linked?
No. All I know is what oliver2002 reported earlier.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by moeve
@grey87 I probably should have to worry any way since I have had my statisical accident already. I tried to tell the guy UPSTAIRS that as far as accidents with aircraft go - I am done!!!! ....but then you never know when HE is having a bad day.
Well if the statistics are with you, you should be fine anyways.

I think LH is watching their big birds pretty carefully, bad PR is not really what any airline needs at this point. Thus everyone flying with them should be fine.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Personally, I have reservations about the A380.

Did a single flight to JFK on LH's bird, but just taking off on that a/c is unnerving, with all the unnatural movements it makes when climbing...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Did a single flight to JFK on LH's bird, but just taking off on that a/c is unnerving, with all the unnatural movements it makes when climbing...
what are you talking about?!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by sentom
I guess 500 tons of metal climbing towards the sky is not a very natural phenomenon per se...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
I guess 500 tons of metal climbing towards the sky is not a very natural phenomenon per se...
but not much different than 300 tons of metal, hence my question...

after countless flights on 340s/747s and 380s i never experienced any difference other than the 380 being by far the smoothest and most quiet
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
follow up article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16942361
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
but not much different than 300 tons of metal, hence my question...

after countless flights on 340s/747s and 380s i never experienced any difference other than the 380 being by far the smoothest and most quiet
In flight, maybe.

Very quick, very small/jerky random movements on the single takeoff from FRA on a clear sunny day with absolutely no wind...seated in the second row of biz, upper deck.

Not very comfortable with the bird.

I'll put my future flights on other aircraft, for now...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Very quick, very small/jerky random movements on the single takeoff from FRA on a clear sunny day with absolutely no wind...seated in the second row of biz, upper deck.

Not very comfortable with the bird.

I'll put my future flights on other aircraft, for now...
If you get dissuaded after every slight movement in the air then you'll soon run out of aircraft to travel on.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by aster
If you get dissuaded after every slight movement in the air then you'll soon run out of aircraft to travel on.
Let's wait and see how the airframe proceeds further!

(I made my comment preceding the latest rounds of cracks found. There still are other aircraft types to fly - at least for now! )
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Are you also staying away form 737s on shorter routes?

The A380s are fine, if there was any risk to passengers they would have been grounded completely for the time being.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:16 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by moeve
Hey don't scare the hell out of me..... am on an LH A380 on Thursday!!!!..
A scare though indeed - especially considering how seagull 'residue' does look and smell....
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
More like 130 tonnes of metal would be my guess. The rest of the stuff climbing is of different natures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.