Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa ex WAW weirdness

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum
Lufthansa ex WAW weirdness

So tell me how this makes sense for LH. Looking for fares ex WAW to ORD in the first couple of weeks of January. I dutifully go to LH's website and easily find reasonable fares of roughly $3,000. But unfortunately, as usual I see that the sectors from WAW to either DUS or MUC flown as a codeshare with LO metal are in Y class.

Yet, when I go to Orbitz I can book exactly the same routes for exactly the same fare and be booked in C on LO.

Why would LH do this? It lists on their website as a LH codeshare, why would I get a downgrade for the same fare? They end up having to pay the commission to Orbitz and I'm basically unhappy. Does LH do this on all codeshares or is LO being singled out?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Hmm. Interestingly, I went to the Danish LH website and looked specifically for flights that were operated on the European leg by SK. They all book in business.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:08 pm

Maybe there's no availability on LH coded LO flights? Does Orbitz give LO numbers or the LH codeshare?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: LH HON and sh..load of others too
The explanation is simple:
The codeshare LO/LH flights have no availability in Z. It's been like that for at least a year.
So, to book in business you have to do either of two things:
A. Pay extra and book in D or C where there is availability.
B. Book through 3rd party chanel, so you can book under the code of the operating carier and use the availability in Z. Most Z-class TATL fares will allow that but the LH website only shows flights under LH code.

HTH.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:50 am
Original Poster

OK, so I took a look at expertflyer and noticed that the Z code doesn't even exist in the LH codeshares with LO. So the next question would be: why is that? Is it something that LO doesn't want to sell to LH or something that LH doesn't want to buy from LO? Why would SK codeshares have Z, but not LO?

To answer another question (and I guess in retrospect this doesn't make sense) when I looked at Orbitz, they were showing an LH flight number and not LO - but the price was identical using yesterdays FX rate from PLN to USD.

What's the sense in this? I guess concretely I'm asking is this a conscious decision that someone at either airline has made or is this something that's under the radar?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: LH HON and sh..load of others too
I believe this is a concious decission by the airlines involved.
Notice that the lack of Z class works both ways - LH does not offer them on LO operated flights and v.v.
Z class used to be available in the past - I booked them often, taking advantage of the fact that LO has fuel charges much lower than LH. So I could pay less by booking an LH flight under LO code. But not any more.

But the really annoying part is that some of the LH intra-EU fares no longer allow for LO flights (example: WRO-AMS ZFF65D1). So if you want to fly LO-operated flight using an LH fare, you have to book in D.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by graf0
I believe this is a concious decission by the airlines involved.
I'm starting to think the same about LO and SQ. You can buy tickets to SIN on LO's site, but you cannot even select WAW as a city on SQ's page. Bit funny, isn't it, considering SQ actually has codeshare flights to WAW?

To make matters more interesting, when you purchase a ticket to SIN at LO, they only seem to give you connections that link up with SQ metal, skipping LH.

Coincidence? @:-)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
I'm starting to think the same about LO and SQ. You can buy tickets to SIN on LO's site, but you cannot even select WAW as a city on SQ's page. Bit funny, isn't it, considering SQ actually has codeshare flights to WAW?

To make matters more interesting, when you purchase a ticket to SIN at LO, they only seem to give you connections that link up with SQ metal, skipping LH.

Coincidence? @:-)
Yes! I noticed exactly the same thing. Anyway the whole thing really p*sses me off. There, got it off my chest.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH/LO SEN, AF/KLM Platinum (Lite)
same or similar for LX

Noticed same thing for LX webpage - a Z ticket can be booked for LX (or their subsidiaries) flights, but not for LO metal codeshare flights, so if connecting in ZRH from/to LO flight both segments book in D
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayPS
Noticed same thing for LX webpage - a Z ticket can be booked for LX (or their subsidiaries) flights, but not for LO metal codeshare flights, so if connecting in ZRH from/to LO flight both segments book in D
Or Y!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.