Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane change LH -> Air Dolomiti = Downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, SPG Plat
Plane change LH -> Air Dolomiti = Downgrade?

Yesterday the equipment on my flight STR-MUC was changed from an LH Regional CRJ700 to an Air Dolomiti ATR72-500.

I feel that this is like an involuntary downgrade (I was flying in C) and I am wondering whether you agree/disagree:
  • Need to walk through the entire cabin since business class is in the front and door is in the back
  • Flight time was almost doubled
  • Seat pitch is dramatically lower, no chance at all to open a laptop, almost no space if the person in front of you reclines
  • No real food served on the plane, just a very dry (and very small) roll
  • Seats in the front are the poorest seats on an ATR72 since the noise and vibrations make you feel like being at the dentist

Appreciate your comments!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:03 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Are you serious?

1) if you can't walk through "the entire" cabin (CRJ700 is 32,5m long whereas ATR is 27,2m) you should order handicap assistance for all of your future trips since aircraft types do change (as do gates, luggage belts, etc);

2) Type of the food that would have been served if you had flown with CRJ would not differ from that served if flown on ATR;

3) Very much like in ATR, in CRJ you could have had someone reclining and thus limiting your space;

4) The poorest seats on ATR are those that are directly next to the propellers. I doubt that C class extended all the way to row 8.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by SKvH
[*]Need to walk through the entire cabin since business class is in the front and door is in the back
Well I can't comment on Air Dolomiti, but when I have flown on ATR72 aircraft in the past then they had business class at the back of the plane. i.e. Close to the door.

And if you have the same class of service, then I don't see how it can be considered a downgrade. I agree that the CRJ is a nicer plane, especially away from the engines, but it is a short flight and I am sure the service will not be much different.

Just my 2p worth.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by olm022
Are you serious?
Yes, and I was not alone, the entire C-class was complaining (>10 people, mostly SENs/HONs)

1) if you can't walk through "the entire" cabin (CRJ700 is 32,5m long whereas ATR is 27,2m) you should order handicap assistance for all of your future trips since aircraft types do change (as do gates, luggage belts, etc);
It is not about not being able to but not wanting to due to the price of my ticket

2) Type of the food that would have been served if you had flown with CRJ would not differ from that served if flown on ATR;
Not true, it is -- as I said -- a very small dry roll vs. a standard intra-German LH snack

4) The poorest seats on ATR are those that are directly next to the propellers. I doubt that C class extended all the way to row 8.
I sat in row 6 and was directly at the propeller
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:34 am

I would consider it an upgrade, as I love the air dolomiti service (much better than LH Cityline!). I often purposely select flights with air dolomiti feeder into MUC.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
Well I can't comment on Air Dolomiti, but when I have flown on ATR72 aircraft in the past then they had business class at the back of the plane. i.e. Close to the door.

Just my 2p worth.
Air Dolomiti also used to have C class at the back, which made very much sense because it was close to the door and C class passengers were the first off the plane. But then they had many complaints by passengers who felt that flying C class they needed to be at the front, and so they moved it to the front of the plane.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:19 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Involuntary downgrade as in EU 261/2004 or involuntary downgrade as it sucks but too bad?

In the latter I'd probably agree with you, but I don't think you'll be able to claim any compensation, unless LH wants to give some out as a gesture goodwill. After all, you were in C even if you did not like the product.

Change of operator probably could have given you a possibility to cancel and a refund if you so wish (even if your ticket would have been non-refundable) just like a schedule change does but that's it.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
Seriously???? C'mon, that's a super short hop. It's not like you were stuck on a prop plane across the atlantic. LH got you there safely, you got good Air Dolomiti Service... IMHO not a single reason to complain.

Yes, and I was not alone, the entire C-class was complaining (>10 people, mostly SENs/HONs)
that sounds like a typical "I'am a SEN/HON and so much better than everyone else around me - how dare you not giving me royal VIP treatment and making me walk thru the cabin past these lowly Economy class people"
Apologies upfront for upsetting anyone with that statement, but I just can't stand this kind of attitude.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pilatusguy
Seriously???? C'mon, that's a super short hop. It's not like you were stuck on a prop plane across the atlantic. LH got you there safely, you got good Air Dolomiti Service... IMHO not a single reason to complain.

that sounds like a typical "I'am a SEN/HON and so much better than everyone else around me - how dare you not giving me royal VIP treatment and making me walk thru the cabin past these lowly Economy class people"
Apologies upfront for upsetting anyone with that statement, but I just can't stand this kind of attitude.
+ one
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: LH SEN
STR-MUC flight time doubled?
With departure and approach there's maybe 10 minutes cruise flight left. I doubt you would see much of a difference in flight time on legs <1h between those two aircraft.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold

It is not about not being able to but not wanting to due to the price of my ticket

So, next time when your gate changes from A20 to A66, are you are booked in business class, this should give you the justification to claim compensation because you don't "wanna walk..." Walking is good - it makes you healthier...

Man/woman, I wish I had your problems...

Not true, it is -- as I said -- a very small dry roll vs. a standard intra-German LH snack

I sat in row 6 and was directly at the propeller
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: TK Miles &Smile Elite, Star Alliance Gold
Disagree ! Not to be considered a downgrade.
Let's be honest ...and more objective...pls..
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
Are you serious?

Wait, this is an April Fools joke - right?

You need to get out and see life a bit more.

Hope you are appreciating all the comments.........
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
[*]Need to walk through the entire cabin since business class is in the front and door is in the back
Appreciate your comments!
This is one of the funniest things I have read on Flyertalk
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is not about not being able to [walk through the cabin] but not wanting to due to the price of my ticket
This is absolutely hysterical. Thanks for the entertainment this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.