Wiki Posts
Search

SEN Waitlist and C->F upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
SEN Waitlist and C->F upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade a D-class fare from FRA to ORD to F. The ANA award tool shows no awards available for my particular flight in F. My question is...will the usual SEN Waitlist magic work as well for upgrades as it does for booking tickets in Y (which is what I am usually doing). I haven't booked the ticket yet because I'd really like to make sure i can upgrade since it would involve a 5-hour layover in FRA. In the FCL/FCT this would be palatable, I think, but not in the SEN lounge. There are faster connections I can make if that's all I'll get.

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
No personal experience with the SEN waitlist, but the availability you see using the ANA award tool is irrelevant. You need to check award availability using the M&M site (or Expertflyer/KVS) LH/LX have different availability for its *A partners and M&M members, and the difference especially in the premium cabins is HUGE.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econprof
I'm looking to upgrade a D-class fare from FRA to ORD to F. The ANA award tool shows no awards available for my particular flight in F. My question is...will the usual SEN Waitlist magic work as well for upgrades as it does for booking tickets in Y (which is what I am usually doing). I haven't booked the ticket yet because I'd really like to make sure i can upgrade since it would involve a 5-hour layover in FRA. In the FCL/FCT this would be palatable, I think, but not in the SEN lounge. There are faster connections I can make if that's all I'll get.

Thanks!
D>F with evouchers has cleared for me everytime except once in the last ten years. You can waitlist it- if the agent you talk to doesn't know how or says it is not possible say thank you and phone back. Your TA should be able to do it as well. Unlike the Y>C upgrades the D>F clear practically 100% in the experience of my colleagues and I as long as it is with M&M evouchers.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
Do I need "O" availability for the evouchers to clear?
I want to book a flight for two in First, and want to use miles for wife and buy Z fare and upgrade with evouchers for myself. However on some days there is only F7 A7 O1 available.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
D>F with evouchers has cleared for me everytime except once in the last ten years. You can waitlist it- if the agent you talk to doesn't know how or says it is not possible say thank you and phone back. Your TA should be able to do it as well. Unlike the Y>C upgrades the D>F clear practically 100% in the experience of my colleagues and I as long as it is with M&M evouchers.
This would be with miles...
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
This would be with miles...
yes but I understand it is irrelevant if it is one or the other upgrading instrument.

Last July I wanted to upgrade in LX Z to F BKK-ZRH, and M&M showed no availability in O but at ZRH LX transit desk they solved in 10'.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by saviox
yes but I understand it is irrelevant if it is one or the other upgrading instrument.

Last July I wanted to upgrade in LX Z to F BKK-ZRH, and M&M showed no availability in O but at ZRH LX transit desk they solved in 10'.
I had the same experience in August.
First the LX transfer desk complains about availability, because my wife wanted to upgrade a ZRH-MIA flight to F from D with eVouchers and after a short discussion she wanted to upgrade me with miles also from D to F (O).

Everything works fine
Tell them that you already called the hotline in advance and they told you that it is possible on the travel date.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
I recently hat a waitlist upgrade from Z to F on waitlist as LH SEN on a LH flight.

But it never cleared. Few days before departue I checked O availibity and there was a seat - so I upgraded manually withy miles and got it.

So, even on waitlist check on regualry basis. And if if available initiate the the upgrade by your own.

By the way - at least the miles were only deducted once

taigatrommel
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Well, I'm waitlisted. In the seat map there is only one other reserved seat in F... so we'll see what happens.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:31 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by JanoSicek
Do I need "O" availability for the evouchers to clear?
That is correct: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Just curious... I fly on 9 October. When would I be likely to get moved off the waitlist? 10 days out?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just curious... I fly on 9 October. When would I be likely to get moved off the waitlist? 10 days out?
Maybe get your travel agent to send them a message through the GDS queue? That has worked for me in the past.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Just a "reminder" that booking classes for upgrades are different on LH and Swiss: Lufthansa upgrades to First book into "O" class, which you cannot see in expertflyer. Youhave to use the M&M tool on the web. If you can find space for an award in First it also will be available for an upgrade.

For LX however upgrades are booked in A, which you can see in the availability section of expertflyer. Awards book in O (like LH), which you can see in the award section of expertlyer or on the M&M website. I cannot comment on whether expertflyer shows the same inventory as M&M, maybe M&M is more "generous" when you log in with your M&M status.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:28 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by creber
For LX however upgrades are booked in A
Is this a recent change? Are there any references?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by creber
Just a "reminder" that booking classes for upgrades are different on LH and Swiss: Lufthansa upgrades to First book into "O" class, which you cannot see in expertflyer. Youhave to use the M&M tool on the web. If you can find space for an award in First it also will be available for an upgrade.

For LX however upgrades are booked in A, which you can see in the availability section of expertflyer. Awards book in O (like LH), which you can see in the award section of expertlyer or on the M&M website. I cannot comment on whether expertflyer shows the same inventory as M&M, maybe M&M is more "generous" when you log in with your M&M status.
No, status doesn't change the availability on the M&M website. Status enables you to WL the request and have it cleared by the agent requesting the WL be cleared by sending it to the right Q.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.