Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Near-collision on JFK runway, LH pilot rejected take-off while rolling down runway!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Near-collision on JFK runway, LH pilot rejected take-off while rolling down runway!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:42 am
Original Poster

On Monday, a Lufthansa flight had a near-collision with another plane on the runway at JFK.

Apparently the LH plane was already rolling down the runway when the tower yelled at the pilot to abort take-off. The pilot rejected the take-off and avoided collision with another plane that took a wrong turn. The LH plane exited the runway with burning-hot brakes(according to the pilots).

I guess this is probably not that unusual at JFK? However, I don't recall many incidents where the plane had to abruptly reject a take-off and come to a halt.

Here's the air traffice control recording of the incident.... the website didn't provide any details: http://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php (second recording, listed as "Re: Cancelled take off Clearance - JFK" dated 6/20)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
must have been pretty significant, judging from the comment at the very end of the ATC. would be interesting to know what happened...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:06 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Kinda scary stories.
But apparently, it's not that uncommon. I took a flight once, from LAX to NYC with a stop-over in Charlotte with US Airways... We almost touched ground, I was literally ready to "feel" the wheels touch the tarmac but suddenly, we felt the engines thrust to their max and we took off again.... Few seconds later we could hear the captain say "sorry about this, we could not land because a plane was crossing the runway..."

Errrr.... ok......
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
looks like it was the MUC flight:

Code:
)>DOLH411/20JUN
DOLH411/20JUN                                                                   
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            LH 411   -1 MO 20JUN                     
CITY INFO                                       HOUR  LOCAL)                    
JFK  NEXT INFO WILL BE AT                       1955                            
     LEFT THE GATE                              2020                            
     TOOK OFF                                   2040                            
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  0950  MUC                       

* 1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO *              LH 411   -1 MO 20JUN                    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL                  
JFK          1745  MO FAJCDZYBMHQ/M       346         8:20                      
                      VWSL/M                                                    
MUC 0805  TU                                                8:20                

)>dhlh411/20jun
DHLH411/20JUN                                                                   
LH 0411 /20JUN                                                                  
  1.2334Z   JFKSOLH 2JFK NEXT INFO WILL BE AT 1955                              
  2.2336Z X FRA8DLH 2JFK LEFT THE GATE 1813                                     
  3.2336Z X FRA8DLH 2JFK AIRCRAFT RETURNED TO RAMP 1936                         
  4.0114Z X JFKSOLH 2JFK LEFT THE GATE 2020                                     
                         TOOK OFF 2040                                          
  5.0114Z X JFKSOLH 2JFK ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0950  MUC                    
  6.0216Z X JFKSOLH 2JFK LEFT THE GATE 2020                                     
                         TOOK OFF 2040                                          
  7.0216Z X JFKSOLH 2JFK ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0950  MUC                    
  8.0216Z   JFKSOLH 2JFK LEFT THE GATE 2020                                     
                         TOOK OFF 2040                                          
  9.0216Z   JFKSOLH 2JFK ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0950  MUC                    
>
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: LH HON and sh..load of others too
There is an interesting discussion with some details:
http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcavi...clearance-jfk/

Must have been quite serious.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:15 am

Exclusive Footage of the incident

I was on this plane and taped it; will upload it within the next days...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
SO which other airline's plane took a wrong turn???
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Apparently it was EgyptAir: http://avherald.com/h?article=43e82b1d&opt=0
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
EgyptAir's 777 apparently took a wrong turn and headed face-to-face with the Lufthansa A340 that was on a take-off roll.

Just imagine what would have happened if the JFK tower didn't spot the error in time to halt the A340 from taking off. The LH pilots probably wouldn't realize it until they were ready to rotate because it was at night. A340 colliding with a 777 at take-off speed? The only word that comes to my mind is "Tenerife"
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smellyplane
The LH pilots probably wouldn't realize it until they were ready to rotate because it was at night.
The incident happened around 7 pm local time in NY. It should still be fairly bright at that time.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Any pax in F you knew? All still alive? Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: LH SEN
I'm really relieved, the situation could be controlled! But it seems it was very close.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
...once again EgyptAir...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Meilensammler
Looking forward to watching the video... Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Meilensammler
@ Meilensammler: Hi, where can I find it then?

thx very much
Pilatus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.