Search

yet another upgrade question ...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
yet another upgrade question ...

There's acres written on this, and I understood that availability of upgrade awards mirrored that of mielage award availability. i.e, if you can get a seat for miles in F, you should be ably to e-voucher yourself from C to F.

Yet even though I could happily book TWO F-class seats for miles, the M&M folk are unable to shift my single upgrade out of the C-class waitlist zone.

I'm not particularly fussed about upgrading a routine flight home from SIN, but I'm knee-deep in e-vouchers I'd love to get rid off before they become worthless. I have also to admit to an unhealthy interest in understanding how systems work - so I find myself doubly frustrated.

So is the "same fare bucket" understanding wrong - and there are separate processes in place for different types of award?

Or perhaps I should get a life ...
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
weird... if O is available it should available to both awards and upgrades. Have you tried looking at your C booking within your M&M profile and trying the 'upgrade' button? That tool uses the same PoS as the award booking engine. If there is O free you can upgrade using evouchers or miles.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
There's acres written on this, and I understood that availability of upgrade awards mirrored that of mielage award availability. i.e, if you can get a seat for miles in F, you should be ably to e-voucher yourself from C to F.

Yet even though I could happily book TWO F-class seats for miles, the M&M folk are unable to shift my single upgrade out of the C-class waitlist zone.

I'm not particularly fussed about upgrading a routine flight home from SIN, but I'm knee-deep in e-vouchers I'd love to get rid off before they become worthless. I have also to admit to an unhealthy interest in understanding how systems work - so I find myself doubly frustrated.

So is the "same fare bucket" understanding wrong - and there are separate processes in place for different types of award?

Or perhaps I should get a life ...
Availability online and for booking through the call center is different. I had the same issue last week. I wanted to book a oneway award from KL to Rome, which can not be done online. Even with SEN waitlist I was not able to get FRA-Rome in Biz (only in Eco). Online there was availability in C if I tried to book a roundtrip.... Go figure...
S
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
weird... if O is available it should available to both awards and upgrades. Have you tried looking at your C booking within your M&M profile and trying the 'upgrade' button? That tool uses the same PoS as the award booking engine. If there is O free you can upgrade using evouchers or miles.
Thanks for the idea - but then it gets even more puzzling, and slightly depressing...

I get the message * Your booking is not eligible for upgrade (119405), not even giving me the option to upgrade my connecting flight home from FRA. Not that I want to, but it'd be nice to have the option
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
ok, next try: did you call the UK/GB or the german call center? The germans see the PoS that the M&M website has, the UK sees something else.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
ok, next try: did you call the UK/GB or the german call center? The germans see the PoS that the M&M website has, the UK sees something else.
I spoke to a friendly agent in Germany who said "no availability": I officially give up.

I also asked about the "not eligible for upgrade" message, and he said that was because you can't book upgrades online .

I explained I'd already done the outbound online. I also explained there was a helpful "upgrade award" button. He said it must be a speciality on the English website

That was Germany not Capetown. That's when I REALLY gave up !

Last edited by IAN-UK; Apr 18, 2011 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I get the message * Your booking is not eligible for upgrade (119405), not even giving me the option to upgrade my connecting flight home from FRA.
I spoke to a friendly agent in Germany who said "no availability": I officially give up.
I have seen a similar error message but later on was able to upgrade with miles/eVouchers, so don't give up especially if you have many eVouchers to burn.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, bahn.comfort
The website seems to be a bit erratic. (Let's not even talk about the time where the upgrade only became available after I had already checked in; upgrading from C to F then screwed up the system so badly that the transfer desk in FRA needed 45 minutes to piece it together, I was given a print out of their internal booking system data in Hamburg. Yes, I do computer QA for a living, why do you ask ;-) )

Back to the point, keep trying. The check-in counter can help; and if they can't, the gate agents can make almost any last minute change they feel like and that is remotely possible (+ nets LH more profit).

Always be friendly to the gate crew!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Strange, I got the message once after prematurely pressing the button before the ticket was issued. Otherwise try FT algorithm #1: If not satisified with the answer, call again.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fradoc
Strange, I got the message once after prematurely pressing the button before the ticket was issued. Otherwise try FT algorithm #1: If not satisified with the answer, call again.
I was too smart-arsed and called up the technical support team (button 5, I think). Hardly satisfied but not ready to go through the pallaver again..

Anyway, your FT-ers words of wisdom are now blessedly redundant:an email pinged through during the night to say I am now a First-class customer. Spooky, it must be Oliver2002's mojo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.