Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Anybody?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by socalflying
Will be flying in Business class from VCE-FRA (LH325). Lufthansa's website shows a carry-on allowance of 2 bags, but towards the bottom of the page I found this...

"In a few exceptional cases, passengers in First and Business Class must check in their second item of carry-on baggage: on flights with LH Regional or if country-specific variations arise (e.g. in Italy or the USA)."

Has anyone had any experience with having to check a second carry-on when departing from Italy in J on a mainline flight?
Only flown VCE-FRA once in C. No one paid attention to my carry-ons. But this was quite some time ago.

If it's in fact an A320 (rather than Bombardier or Embraer), I wouldn't expect an issue for you.

Anyone else?

Last edited by Grog; Jul 3, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Grog
Only flown once in C. No one paid attention to my carry-ons. But this was quite some time ago.

If it's in fact an A320 (rather than Bombardier or Embraer), I wouldn't expect an issue for you.

Anyone else?
Never had an issue with bringing 2 carry-on bags, flying LH C from Italy, including from VCE. Sample of about 10 flights in the last 2 years.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Thank you, Grog and Michiel, for sharing your experience. I appreciate it.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:44 am

LX 349

LX 349 @ LHR just now: every carry-on weighted at the gate. Mine was at 8.36 kg, so I had to take a power brick out (and put it back inside while I waited in the jetbridge). I am travelling in C.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Hi all, yes I've read the thread & Austrian's website states their hand luggage maximum size is 55 x 40 x 23 cm. I have a Travelpro magna 22" that is larger than the 55cm when you count the wheels, but compliant with the other dimensions. I'm considering booking an Austrian flight & wanted to know if the "luggage police" will force me to check the bag because it's a few cm too tall? I don't want to buy a new bag for 1 flight. I plan on booking the classic ticket via an UA award, so I get the checked bag, but I always take a carry on with my valuables. Thanks for sharing any experiences
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:50 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
I did fly MUC-FRA on Monday around lunchtime. Equipment was an A320 and Y was approx. 60% booked. When I did board I got the beep for the emergency exit questions. After marching thru the gate I was called back and they said that my Rimowa trolley and my bagpack exceed the carry on limits for the emergency exit row and that I have a choice of checking the trolley or getting reseated, despite the fact that all middle seats at the exit rows were not occupied). I did chose the later option and got a seat in row 28 (which was completely empty on the A-C side). Upon boarding I did ask the crew if I may still take my original seat and their comments about the gate staff's arguments were:

"I have never heard of this before."
"You did board very early so that you have more than enough space in the bins to put all your carry on away."
"The folks at the gate must have a bad day today."

Long story short, ample overhead bin space was available and I didn't have to move back all the way to row 28.
Grog and N1003U like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Global Entry early adopter
Originally Posted by cas_de
... and they said that my Rimowa trolley and my bagpack exceed the carry on limits for the emergency exit row
Wow, that's crazy. This is nearly exactly my typical loadout (Rimowa 32L and a 25L backpack). No problems stowing away in the overhead and sitting in exit row window seat on an LH flight MUC-HEL a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted by cas_de
"I have never heard of this before."
"You did board very early so that you have more than enough space in the bins to put all your carry on away."
"The folks at the gate must have a bad day today."
Yea, clearly... And you'd think that your *A Gold would count for a tiny little something in that odd situation with the GA. I don't see such a limit posted on LH's webpage for their carry-on rules.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Are carryon weight limits enforced on LH?

I'm traveling IAD-FRA on United, connecting to FRA-ABV, then ABV-FRA connecting to UA. UA's policy governs the size of carryons without regard to weight. LH says 8 kg max for the carryon plus a personal item (no weight limit given for the personal item). I'll be in Economy, with no Star Alliance status.

Does LH weigh carryons? Do I need to be sure to be under the 8 kg limit for both LH legs?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:31 am

I'm not the most regular LH flyer by any means, but I've seen it enforced as in they made people unpack stuff if it was over the weight etc.. I'd err on the side of caution.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:19 pm

LH does checks on hand luggage, not as extreme as LX for example, but it can happen. I've experienced LH checkin staff (at outposts) asking customers to put their hand luggage on the regular baggage belt for weight check.

Usually size is more of their concern, but weight definitely has been reported to have been checked too, even at the gate (Going as far as using the arm as "scale" (-> jokes about them having biometric arms were exchanged here on FT..) )

If you've a few heavy (but small) items, put them in your personal item, and you'll be fine.

Generally, since the introduction of the "Light" fares, checks for hand luggage have become much more strict than they used to be.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8kg is laughable considering many of the carry-on Rimowa for sale on the World Shop are over 5kg. Yeah, apparently all their premium pax buy a Rimowa and fill it with knickers and bras.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
8kg is laughable considering many of the carry-on Rimowa for sale on the World Shop are over 5kg. Yeah, apparently all their premium pax buy a Rimowa and fill it with knickers and bras.
Almost all airlines have weight limits, some even more strict than LH.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/carrry-on-...limits-1861874

https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:05 pm

I've never seen a non-Lufthansa Group airline enforce it. With the LCCs especially they sometimes will enforce size and make people use the sizer, but weight? I've only seen that with Lufthansa and their subsidiaries.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: FB Gold
My mother's carry-on was weighted @IAD last week. Was a few hundred grams over max but she explained it was a winter coat and was passed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.