Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do Lufthansa Miles & More miles expire?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

When do Lufthansa Miles & More miles expire?

I have 57,000 miles in Miles&More. The account statement says that they will expire this month. I could take a LH flight on Monday but am not sure if this will extend the 57k balance. The Miles&More terms and conditions say that the miles expire 36 months after they are accrued, so this seems to indicate that the the 57k will expire this month regardless of whether I fly on Monday.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:10 pm

You will them, 2 possibilities, a be at least FTL, or Approach for a LH Credit Card . Third Option book a Flight or something from Wolf Shop
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:14 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, bkschlag!

Unfortunately activities such as miles accrual do not extend the validity of M&M miles. You seem to have checked the M&M website already but this is what it says about miles validity.

For how long will my award miles remain valid?

Award miles remain valid for 36 months after the transaction date and then expire – if they have not been used – at the end of that quarter. Miles earned by members who have attained the status of Frequent Traveller, Senator or HON Circle Member or possess a German Lufthansa Miles & More Credit Card* are not subject to mileage expiration.
(*For customers with an international Miles & More Credit Card, special conditions apply.)

We will always inform you two months in advance on your online account statement about any miles which are due to expire at the end of the current quarter.

To help you understand how it works, here is an example. Suppose you flew from Frankfurt to New York on 12 December 2009. The associated miles will expire 36 months after the end of the next quarter, i.e. on 31 December 2012.
If your miles are due to expire at the end of this month, were you notified two months earlier? Since miles expire at the end of a quarter, the earliest they expire must be 31 March 2011. So you should have another month to spend these miles on awards.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
bkschlag, you don't actually have to fly before the expiry date, you just need to book your award by that time (for a flight that can be many months in the future).
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
Out of curiosity, having a miles-and-more credit ensures that miles don't expire right? But say that, for whatever reason, one forgoes the credit card. When then do the miles expire? Would it be 36 months from the date the credit card was forgone or if one had been collecting for say 10 years would the miles expire right away? Also, has it happened that one has a MM credit card and somehow MM didn't know of this and the miles expired?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: LH Senator ★
I believe that miles expire 1 quarter / 3 months after you lose the credit card.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:24 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mashlakito
Also, has it happened that one has a MM credit card and somehow MM didn't know of this and the miles expired?
You are usually supposed to use your M&M credit card at least once a month. (There may be some exceptions.) Since miles from the credit card are credited to your M&M account it seems very unlikely that M&M does not know you have an M&M credit card.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:14 am

based on the stated policy, it appears that you retain your miles if you have status with miles & more. in my case, i earned some 50k miles a few years ago. it says that 36k of those are award miles and will expire by the end of september. if you acquire status AFTER the miles that are set to expire, do you still retain these miles, or only the award miles earned once you have status?

thanks
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you acquire status before the miles expire all miles stay valid.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just noticed a remark in my mileage statement about expiration of miles, no specific # is listed. The odd thing is, (1) I am an FTL and (2) I have a LH credit card. I thought both of these things would prevent expiration, any ideas what is going on?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Look at your account statement online. Its should specifically say how may miles are due to expire when. For example (sorry I only have a German one):

Code:
35079 Prämienmeilen verfallen zum 31.12.2013.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:58 am

If you have a LH credit card and you use it for at least 20,- Euros a month (german rules) they should not expire at all.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks. I was confused that no number of miles is listed, it just says:

"01/07/2013 Unused award miles over 3 years old"

I assume that means that none are expiring, but rather than specifically list "0" miles expiring it is just blank if none are expiring.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Look at your account statement online. Its should specifically say how may miles are due to expire when. For example (sorry I only have a German one):

Code:
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Please allow me to "revive" this thread. I have a M/M account which is not used actively. I have about 10K miles to date.

Unfortunately, I could not find how much miles are expiring and when will they expire on my online account like oliver2002 has mentioned.

Could someone please point me to it? Thank you.

Originally Posted by oliver2002

Code:
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
I have miles which have been collected over the last 5+ years. I am currently FTL but will lose all status with M&M in February 2015. When will the miles that I historically earned (ie more than 3 years ago) expire? Three years from February, or immediately when my status is downgraded? I don't have a credit card.
Thanks...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.