Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul from/to JNB (MPM) in C

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G | OW Sapphire
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/1209; U; en-GB) Presto/2.5.28 Version/10.1)

Hi there all,

since i'm competely new to long-haul intercontinental travelling, i'd like to know your opinions on whether to fly to/from JNB (final destination and starting is MPM) in
LH A380
LX A340
SA A340 (if im not mistaken)

If you have any input in EgyptAir or Ethiopian Airlines, that would be great.

I intentionaly dont want to use other airlines outside *A since i want to maximize revenue on M&M.
However, if you have some extra info or tip, please feel free to shout.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by pjso
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/1209; U; en-GB) Presto/2.5.28 Version/10.1)

Hi there all,

since i'm competely new to long-haul intercontinental travelling, i'd like to know your opinions on whether to fly to/from JNB (final destination and starting is MPM) in
LH A380
LX A340
SA A340 (if im not mistaken)

If you have any input in EgyptAir or Ethiopian Airlines, that would be great.

I intentionaly dont want to use other airlines outside *A since i want to maximize revenue on M&M.
However, if you have some extra info or tip, please feel free to shout.
Eh? You 're flying from Maputo to Johannesburg?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by capetonian
Eh? You 're flying from Maputo to Johannesburg?
I'm going to take a wild guess and say the OP means he wants to fly from Europe to JNB on one of those carriers, and then take a separate flight to MPM on either SA or TM.

OP can you confirm the above and CoS (Eco;Biz; First)?

GBM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
I'm going to take a wild guess and say the OP means he wants to fly from Europe to JNB on one of those carriers, and then take a separate flight to MPM on either SA or TM.

OP can you confirm the above and CoS (Eco;Biz; First)?
The thread title says "in C" but it would be helpful if the OP indicated the destination in Europe - or at least which country.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.
In fact, the MPM is the final destination or starting point.

I have two main targets in Europe - LIS and WAW, so can be any of them.
Due to experience, I would rather not fly anymore in TP. I also want to maximize the number of miles, with the lowest price in Business class in a *A carrier.

Preferably, I'd like it to be a fully integrated airline.

My main question is the flight JNB - Europe and back.
TO MPM I have only one option in *A, which is SA. Won't fly LAM since no miles will be awarded to M&M.

I asked those particular planes and carriers, as I'd like to know them in terms of comfort in C
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:35 am

In terms of hardware SA will be your best choice or starting very soon (sometimes in February on certain days, from the beginning of March on all flights) LX with their new C class. In terms of mileage LH will be your best choice (JNB-FRA is a bit longer than JNB-ZRH on LX, although I would not swop LX's new C-class or transfer in ZRH instead of FRA for a handful of miles.

ET might be of interest to you if they fly to MPM otherwise you would only add another transfer to the trip. Admittedly, ET has got very good C-class fares from JNB (not sure about MPM) so in case you're paying yourself a 50% discount against the fares which LH, LX, SA charge might be a convincing argument.

All in all, I would take LX, especially if your flight happens to be one with the new C-class.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:14 am
Original Poster

In terms of hardware SA will be your best choice or starting very soon (sometimes in February on certain days, from the beginning of March on all flights) LX with their new C class. In terms of mileage LH will be your best choice (JNB-FRA is a bit longer than JNB-ZRH on LX, although I would not swop LX's new C-class or transfer in ZRH instead of FRA for a handful of miles.

ET might be of interest to you if they fly to MPM otherwise you would only add another transfer to the trip. Admittedly, ET has got very good C-class fares from JNB (not sure about MPM) so in case you're paying yourself a 50% discount against the fares which LH, LX, SA charge might be a convincing argument.

All in all, I would take LX, especially if your flight happens to be one with the new C-class.
Thanks for your input
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:21 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I bellieve all LX JNB-ZRH flights will have the new C cabin from 24 February 2011.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10981670-post2.html
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: LH SEN
I just flew FRA-JNB in LH with A380 in C and return a few days later with SA in A340 in C.
All in all, I would say: go for SA:
+ C class seats are better
180-degree-full flat, instead of LH's "170-degree-slide forward underneath the seat in front of you")
+ service is much friendlier
in LH A380 there are more than 90 Business Class seats, staff is very busy and thus not personal and friendly anymore, not much difference to Economy anymore...
+ price is much cheaper
I was told sometimes up to 50% less

The only nicer thing about LH is of course the "image" of flying with the A380.
It is a big bird and it is nice flying in it, but you have to decide if that is worth the money.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krelle1
I just flew FRA-JNB in LH with A380 in C and return a few days later with SA in A340 in C.
All in all, I would say: go for SA:
+ C class seats are better
180-degree-full flat, instead of LH's "170-degree-slide forward underneath the seat in front of you")
+ service is much friendlier
in LH A380 there are more than 90 Business Class seats, staff is very busy and thus not personal and friendly anymore, not much difference to Economy anymore...
+ price is much cheaper

The only nicer thing about LH is of course the "image" of flying with the A380.
It is a big bird and it is nice flying in it, but you have to decide if that is worth the money.
Thanks.
I was looking forward to the LH A380, but after your tips i find it extremely difficult to cough up the price difference.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by krelle1
+ price is much cheaper
You must be dreaming. That might hold true from Europe but will hardly hold true from Southern Africa.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:40 am

I was looking forward to the LH A380, but after your tips i find it extremely difficult to cough up the price difference.
Price difference or no price difference I would never choose LH C over the (new) LX C - unless LH would be significantly cheaper.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Price difference or no price difference I would never choose LH C over the (new) LX C - unless LH would be significantly cheaper.
Hence the questions ansked on FlyerTalk

Experienced knowledge is indeed power.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.