Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I was wondering about upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Question I was wondering about upgrades???

I have always used full award tix and never purchased an economy tix and then tried to upgrade.

My question is, is there some way to determine if there is upgrade availability PRIOR to purchasing an economy tix that I would intend to upgrade...or is purely a roll of the dice?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ddschur
I have always used full award tix and never purchased an economy tix and then tried to upgrade.

My question is, is there some way to determine if there is upgrade availability PRIOR to purchasing an economy tix that I would intend to upgrade...or is purely a roll of the dice?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!
Yes, afaik upgrades come out of the same fare bucket as award tickets. So for an upgrade Y -> C booking class I needs to be available, and for an upgrade C -> F booking class O needs to be available.

You can easily check this on the M&M website, Expertflyer etc.
You could even call LH who should be able to make the booking and uppgrade you instantly.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Thank you for the reply...but one additional question:

Does it matter which economy fare you book (lowest vs. flexible, etc.)?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

But make sure to check how many miles you need to upgrade from Y to C, instead of redeeming miles on C awards. You may find that it is a better use of miles to get awards in C rather than to purchase Y tickets and upgrade with miles.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:27 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Yes, it does. Some economy fares are not upgradable, some require more miles to upgrade than others. Check this chart.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/mediap...dia_874439.pdf

p.s. btw miles on this chart are for upgrading one segment. For a return trip you will have to double the number of miles!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thank you for the reply...but one additional question:

As NewbieRunner already said, the amount of miles depends on the booking class:

discounted economy L, S, W, U: not upgrable
(regular) economy: upgradable
full economy: upgradable, reduced number of miles required

Generally using miles for upgrades is a poor investment with M&M, e.g. if you wanted to upgrade a TATL flight youŽd have to buy a (non-discounted) economy fare (>800€-1000€) and pay 100k miles to upgrade both legs while an award in C would cost 90k miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.