Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEK - die Neue Europakabine

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flysurfer
However, those who fly shorthaul C might ask themselves why they should pay a hefty premium for a more narrow seat, a missing wardrobe and the very same pitch and legroom they can get behind the curtain. … So either LH introduces their version of the LX Business Saver, or they are about to lose high-yield customers to the competition or to Economy Class.
That's certainly true! Although as long as most fully flexible domestic and european C class fares are only slightly more expensive than fully flexible Y, I think that many people will still choose C over Y if they have a choice to do so!

But of course the 100-200 € premium may be increasingly difficult to justify when the hard advantages of flying C (versus the "soft" advantages like status miles) become more and more invisible to the customer!

-Tom
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by tomashi
That's certainly true! Although as long as most fully flexible domestic and european C class fares are only slightly more expensive than fully flexible Y, I think that many people will still choose C over Y if they have a choice to do so!
M is fully flexible in most cases, too. And many even cheaper fares are also flexible, you simply have to pay a nominal rebooking fee. @:-) Still much cheaper than buying a Y fare in the first place. Plus, you can now combine a flexible with a cheap nonflexible fare on a roundtrip, which is nice if you know that only the outbound or inbound portion needs to be fully flexible. The most restricitive fare rules now only apply for the respective fare component, not for the entire trip. LH changed that earlier this year, it's another "good" enhancement for the Eco flyer.

The other good thing is: no YQ and taxes for the second seat, but you still get award miles for both seats. Since taxes are so high (and keep rising by the minute), LH's base fares need to be kept rather low to end up with the desired fare total. That's very good for those who want to buy a second seat in coach.

Last edited by flysurfer; Dec 14, 2010 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Those who fly shorthaul Y should and will sure like the NEK. More service, good legroom – and more seats, meaning an even better chance to grab a cheap fare bucket.

However, those who fly shorthaul C might ask themselves why they should pay a hefty premium for a more narrow seat, a missing wardrobe and the very same pitch and legroom they can get behind the curtain. Especially since it's quite easy (and certainly cheaper) to buy a second seat in coach, if that free middle seat is of utmost importance.

So either LH introduces their version of the LX Business Saver, or they are about to lose high-yield customers to the competition or to Economy Class.

Me, I'm quite pleased and happy, as I fly domestic coach.
I just played around with my flight stats:

2010 I had 27 KONT C segments on LH vs 21 KONT Y segments on LH

I have a feeling I will be trading down in 2011.
TFM's strategy of buying a second Y seat on a flight might actually be a good idea ? Then at least you have guaranteed seatblocking !
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by tomashi
After following this discussion for some weeks now I feel obliged to stress the point that it is completely unfair to portray LH's hard and soft European product as "bad" and the NEK "enhancements" as major signs of a further deterioration.
WHY?

What deeper insight drives you to the brink of such a conclusion? Trash the wardrobe, squeeze more seats into the cabin, decrease the pitch .. how many insignia you choose to miss in order to at least not dismiss the notion of Ryanairism?

That said, it is hypothetically thinkable that the new seat is less crappy than the old one for the coach flyer but it is certainly not unreasonable nor unfair to suspect LH of penny pinching.
On a European and global scale – especially if you compare LH with European lowcost-carriers and most US domestic airlines; Asia is a world of its own of course – the quality of service, the density of the timetable, the professionality of FA's and ground staff and the general reliability is still unsurpassed IMHO.
While I am inclined to agree on the quality of the FAs, no other airline left me stranded as often as LH did (even though QF made some effort). So in terms of reliability, reservations, and ground staff, LH is still the same old Gulag to me. Even Xiamen during a snow storm outperformed them.

Add to this the lack of a continental Business seat, an obsolete intl Business seat, a pretty bad lounge situation, and a home airport which surpasses maybe three hubs on Earth (say IAD, DEL, and CDG). And LH could not be bothered less to fix FRA and rather enjoys blaming politicians, FRA management, unions, and the like for the situation.
I totally agree with A300flyer that sometimes it really would help if we would see our little LH world a bit more positive!
That would help LH and its propaganda department. Certainly not us.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: M&M-FQT / HHonors SLV / LHW LeadersClub
However, those who fly shorthaul C might ask themselves why they should pay a hefty premium for a more narrow seat, a missing wardrobe and the very same pitch and legroom they can get behind the curtain. Especially since it's quite easy (and certainly cheaper) to buy a second seat in coach, if that free middle seat is of utmost importance..
Still don't get it: all those are things you don't get with the "schöner fliegen" cabin neither: same seat as Y, no wardrobe. And the food is the same: I already had a "be invited" euro c meal: was the same just different branding.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Official photos of "die Neue Europakabine" (select Actuell > Europakabine)

http://mediabase.lufthansa.com/fra_c...EntryAction.do

and the press release:

http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-...icle/1843.html
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Official photos of "die Neue Europakabine" (select Actuell > Europakabine)

http://mediabase.lufthansa.com/fra_c...EntryAction.do

and the press release:

http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-...icle/1843.html
Looking forward already to the comments on here on how evil Lufthansa has once again manipulated the seat pitch shown on the pictures (which to me, looks pretty good!). Malicious LH marketing that choose extra small people or applied their dark Photoshop magic to fool us.

On the pictures posted before, which showed a B737; it looked like the cabin casing was replaced by some darker grey (looked pretty cool to me...); this is apparently not the case: or only in the bobbies?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by thomasalexandre
Looking forward already to the comments on here on how evil Lufthansa has once again manipulated the seat pitch shown on the pictures (which to me, looks pretty good!). Malicious LH marketing that choose extra small people or applied their dark Photoshop magic to fool us.
Congratulations that you are capable of telling seat pitch from scale factor free images. I believe that your displeasure with some of the comments here comes from a too colloquial use of the term "pitch". The complainers here, we do actually refer to the density of the seat lattice. Which inevitably goes up when more rows are crammed into a plane.
On the pictures posted before, which showed a B737; it looked like the cabin casing was replaced by some darker grey (looked pretty cool to me...); this is apparently not the case: or only in the bobbies?
Oddly enough .. you provided the proof for manipulated images yourself .
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by weero
Congratulations that you are capable of telling seat pitch from scale factor free images. I believe that your displeasure with some of the comments here comes from a too colloquial use of the term "pitch". The complainers here, we do actually refer to the density of the seat lattice. Which inevitably goes up when more rows are crammed into a plane.

Oddly enough .. you provided the proof for manipulated images yourself .
The above pictures were taken on an A319: guess LH simply doesn't change the plastic on those.

In the press release: LH writes: an average of 4cm more. But let's compare some of the old marketing pics with the new ones:

Guess it's pretty clear if you compare the old with the new cabin that the seat pitch is without doubt not smaller than before.

Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by thomasalexandre
..Guess it's pretty clear if you compare the old with the new cabin that the seat pitch is without doubt not smaller than before..
So they made the plane longer ?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
So they made the plane longer ?
No, they made the windows larger.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Had a great day yesterday in FRA, snow only stole about 1 hour of the time, but we had a sufficient buffer.

Major press of Germany and Europe were present and have already reported, interesting to see what finally made the news.

The pics from the press kit CD are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/airbusdo/20101215# It has a few more than the 'official' website.

rcs85551 and ralf krippner took a ton of photos, including me measuring the old seat in a A321 on our way to FRA and the new seat in the same way.

No time to type right now (work bekons) but surprisingly the seat is indeed better. The missing wardrobe is not an issue for extra luggage storage, but coat storage is definitely gone.

Got some news from recaro on the new new new C, but will share that later.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Had a great day yesterday in FRA, snow only stole about 1 hour of the time, but we had a sufficient buffer.

Major press of Germany and Europe were present and have already reported, interesting to see what finally made the news.

The pics from the press kit CD are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/airbusdo/20101215# It has a few more than the 'official' website.

rcs85551 and ralf krippner took a ton of photos, including me measuring the old seat in a A321 on our way to FRA and the new seat in the same way.

No time to type right now (work bekons) but surprisingly the seat is indeed better. The missing wardrobe is not an issue for extra luggage storage, but coat storage is definitely gone.

Got some news from recaro on the new new new C, but will share that later.
Thanks for the update.

I know I keep on repeating the same question, but still I am waiting for a definitive answer: does the new seat have a reclinable seatback? Or no more recline?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by creber
Thanks for the update.

I know I keep on repeating the same question, but still I am waiting for a definitive answer: does the new seat have a reclinable seatback? Or no more recline?
The new seat has a reduced recline compared to the current seat. Not sure how much though.
(reported on VFT)
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:28 am

Here you have it guys: a full 4cm.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_i65Z5o5lvt4/TQ...itzabstand.JPG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.