Wiki Posts
Search

First time on LH, connecting in DUS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO
First time on LH, connecting in DUS

In about two weeks I will be flying my first time on LH, EWR-DUS-ARN in Y. I'm flying on an award ticket on a relative's account. I have a few questions...

- I am not *G, but will I be able to take advantage of my relative's status? I'm traveling with a fair amount of luggage so the extra bags/weight would really come in handy.

- How is the food in Y? Are any of the special meals particularly better than the normal ones?

- EWR, as anyone who flies CO would know, is terrible with ATC delays and DUS, from what I've read, doesn't seem to be the greatest either. I'm working with a 50 minute connection, should I be worried about delays? Does LH handle IRROPS well?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Welcome to the LH forum. There is also a sticky in this forum, that will help you better understand how LH operates and what to expect with respect to service, meals, seats, etc.

Originally Posted by ADhoots
- I am not *G, but will I be able to take advantage of my relative's status? I'm traveling with a fair amount of luggage so the extra bags/weight would really come in handy.
No.

- How is the food in Y? Are any of the special meals particularly better than the normal ones?
The food in Y isn't really good, but it won't make you sick either. I usually tried getting something at the airport before travel in Y.

- EWR, as anyone who flies CO would know, is terrible with ATC delays and DUS, from what I've read, doesn't seem to be the greatest either. I'm working with a 50 minute connection, should I be worried about delays? Does LH handle IRROPS well?
No real reason to worry. If it is their fault then they will take care of you. LH is pretty good at handling these situations, but as with all airlines you can also find a bunch of horror stories in this forum.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Don't worry, the EWR flight normally touches ground very much in time at 6.00 and is at the gate at 6.05. They are normally there earlier but are not allowed to land any earlier. This makes this service rather punctual.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
I dont know what the reliability stats are for that route but as a regular I can tell you that it is "never" late (now, just watch what happens when I fly out on sunday.....lol)

Most likely you will sit on a remote stand in EWR for an hour or so before take off because you cannot land in DUS before 6am (I sooooo wish they would just change the departure slot to 1730 on that flight!)

A 50 minute connection time in DUS is easy.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AF-KL Gold, AB Plat
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...irportCode=DUS

Not the must punctual flight I heard of, but agreed - you should be fine in DUS...
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duncfly
I dont know what the reliability stats are for that route but as a regular I can tell you that it is "never" late (now, just watch what happens when I fly out on sunday.....lol)

Most likely you will sit on a remote stand in EWR for an hour or so before take off because you cannot land in DUS before 6am (I sooooo wish they would just change the departure slot to 1730 on that flight!)

A 50 minute connection time in DUS is easy.
Wow! I've never heard of a flight that is routinely so early it can't land. That must cost LH a pretty penny in fuel.

I imagine they don't change it due to take-off/landing slots at EWR.

Unrelated question: Do they still serve breakfast even though the landing is early?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:24 am

Wow! I've never heard of a flight that is routinely so early it can't land. That must cost LH a pretty penny in fuel.

I imagine they don't change it due to take-off/landing slots at EWR.

Unrelated question: Do they still serve breakfast even though the landing is early?
It doesn't cost them anything extra in fuel....thats why you always sit remote at EWR with the engines off.

Breakfast is served. They will also give you a breakfast to go if you want it. Personally I sleep as long as I can and breakfast in the lounge (which in DUS is ALWAYS like a zoo).
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Poster

It doesn't cost them anything extra in fuel....thats why you always sit remote at EWR with the engines off.

Breakfast is served. They will also give you a breakfast to go if you want it. Personally I sleep as long as I can and breakfast in the lounge (which in DUS is ALWAYS like a zoo).
Oh, I was under the impression that the plane circled above DUS before landing because it was too early.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I was under the impression that the plane circled above DUS before landing because it was too early.
I frequently does for about 15 to 20 minutes. I have been on that light more than once and it is great to see the city below you awake.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which in DUS is ALWAYS like a zoo
Maybe I am not as often in that lounge as you are so I cannot judge whether it is ALWAYS like a zoo. However, for the every second day I use that lounge I am in the position to confirm that it is rarely like a zoo. It might be certainly be different the other days when you are there.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Maybe I am not as often in that lounge as you are so I cannot judge whether it is ALWAYS like a zoo. However, for the every second day I use that lounge I am in the position to confirm that it is rarely like a zoo. It might be certainly be different the other days when you are there.
Try it at 6am any weekday morning and let us know what you find.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My regular flight is LH246 and I find a busy lounge but certainly not a "zoo".
Old Jul 24, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I'm usually in the paupers section at 10:30 when flying through (used to be 10:15 until the change to have to reclear security in DUS for UK flights) and it's usually very quiet and peaceful.

You want a zoo - FRA A26, but I'm sure that has it's moments of being an oasis.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: *G
Pretty close to a zoo in my opinion at that hour, more for being crowded and cramped. In fact I found my 4 hour DUS connection to be quite uncomfortable (I am sure it had nothing to do with a few drinks in LH F on the way over). As a connecting passenger, I was immediately sent through security, only to find my gate area deserted and next to no services accessible. So I went through passport control (my destination was the UK) and found the lounge. I then decided to walk around to keep myself awake, but that wing of the terminal is quite small and also cramped, and I decided not to exit the secure area to explore further. If the OP has a 50 minute connection, I would expect it to work if both aircraft are at a gate, and count yourself fortunate it is only 50 minutes. But if one or both are at remote stands (as was my departure), it can take a lot longer.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645
If the OP has a 50 minute connection, I would expect it to work if both aircraft are at a gate, and count yourself fortunate it is only 50 minutes. But if one or both are at remote stands (as was my departure), it can take a lot longer.
I can only repeat: 50 minutes works well. The EWR flights always do arrive at a gate whereas the ARN flight departs from a tarmac position (CRJ700/900). As long as the OP is not the last one to get out of the EWR plane he should be through security and passport in less than 10 minutes and the walk to the bus gates then takes a minute or two,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.