Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finished the HON LHPJ run.. an AMAZING experiece

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Don't forget the (up to) 420k miles generated. These miles make the entire experience basically cost neutral depending on how you value the miles - black card thrown in free of charge.
You are right that the extra award miles with the vouchers and FTL/FCL access may make this exercise cost neutral BUT IMHO I see award miles, status and lounge access as an bonus or a benefit which accrues because of my work related travel.. so this means whtever free flights etc I get is not cost neutral but saving me some money which otherwise I would need to buy holiday tickets etc. ssince they hv been earned without paying any penny extra mostly, so we pay nothing more than required for our work and get xxx worth of flights , services..
In LHPJ, it comes to only being breakeven if at all..so u pay 7k euros, and at the end u get approx tht value back in some way or the other.. I am not even computing the cost of wastage and impact on environment as noted below by other Fter's..

Ofcourse folks hv their own views and the above is my 2 cents
Old May 28, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
In LHPJ, it comes to only being breakeven if at all..so u pay 7k euros, and at the end u get approx tht value back in some way or the other.. I am not even computing the cost of wastage and impact on environment as noted below by other Fter's..

Ofcourse folks hv their own views and the above is my 2 cents
That's funny. Maybe breakeven is subjective. In this case it could be, because it depends how you plan on using the miles.

Here's an example for you:
135k miles + 667EUR Bucharest to the US in December for 2pax in C vs. 6100EUR to fly on LH. Don't give me crap that I can fly Turkish or take positioning flights to Italy.
Old May 28, 2010, 3:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
OTP to NYC in December is 1951/2306/2307€ p.p. all in on LX/LH/OS
Old May 28, 2010, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
But around 3k p.p to the west coast? Anyway, it really depends if someone would spend that money anyway, rather then a 700 EUR economy ticket for example - so, like it was said numerous times, depending on how you value your miles :-)
Old May 28, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
How about to Boston? Without making me sleep in ZRH on the way back or have more than one connection, please.

I agree with Lack, it depends how you value your miles. I find these a good value, others might think Y to the East coast is acceptable, I used to fly that route a lot and I was fine with it, however around X-mas, I'd rather not.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by dre_techie
How about to Boston? Without making me sleep in ZRH on the way back or have more than one connection, please.
Boston should be about the same price. From Poland it's usually around 2k EUR in Z/J with LH/LX all year long (a bit cheaper in summer).
Single connection each way in FRA/MUC/ZRH - the same as any award travel :-).
Old May 28, 2010, 5:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by dre_techie
Just add a 123$ return with Jet Blue from JFK to BOS. My point is that the € for miles argument is very weak to justify a LHPJ run.

Why?

- you bank a lot of miles you can't burn quickly and M&M may change their terms
- you assume C award availability, which is terrible especially to N America in time you want to travel (sure the HON award booking guarantee kicks in if you go all the way)

If you want to buy miles at a decent ratio, go for US Air DM or bmi DC, buy and burn and be done with it. This is the reason I sit on 750k M&M miles because I did all my earn and burn on US and BD's FFP. With F awards (around christmas too)
Old May 28, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
My point is that the € for miles argument is very weak to justify a LHPJ run.
This is the reason I sit on 750k M&M miles because I did all my earn and burn on US and BD's FFP. With F awards (around christmas too)
Agree completely..

And I guess most of ur miles accural was on travel which was necessary because of work or otherwise, or on CC's spends.. which means whtever miles u managed to accrue with any ffp giving u free flights were a bonus for u from the start as u mostly never spent a lot extra only for elite status or miles and hence ur cost was 0 or nearly negligble and hence breakeven was similarly negligible...^
Old May 28, 2010, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Just add a 123$ return with Jet Blue from JFK to BOS. My point is that the € for miles argument is very weak to justify a LHPJ run.

Why?

- you bank a lot of miles you can't burn quickly and M&M may change their terms
- you assume C award availability, which is terrible especially to N America in time you want to travel (sure the HON award booking guarantee kicks in if you go all the way)

If you want to buy miles at a decent ratio, go for US Air DM or bmi DC, buy and burn and be done with it. This is the reason I sit on 750k M&M miles because I did all my earn and burn on US and BD's FFP. With F awards (around christmas too)

Actually, I had no problems burning LH miles quick, efficient and in masses using the SEN waitlist in C most cases. The only issue I have with LH are the inconvenient stopover rules and the outrageous YQ for connection flights.

BD and especially US are right now certainly the way to go.
Old May 28, 2010, 6:17 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
BD and especially US are right now certainly the way to go.
OT: How is earning on US from intra-European flights on LH and LX?
Old May 28, 2010, 6:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AHN
OT: How is earning on US from intra-European flights on LH and LX?
I didn't know you could earn US miles from flying. I thought people only bought them.

Miles earned are based on the actual miles flown.

LH: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...lufthansa.html
LX: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...nce_swiss.html

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 28, 2010 at 6:55 am Reason: grammar!
Old May 28, 2010, 6:46 am
AHN

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I didn't know you could earn US miles from flying. I thought people only bought them.
But I thought there might actually be a way to earn them!

So a pretty bad deal for us European flyers, then.
Old May 28, 2010, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by AHN
But I thought there might actually be a way to earn them!
Well, yes, but not by flying. You 'earn' by buying, sharing, dining, shopping etc etc
Old May 28, 2010, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

Miles earned are based on the actually miles flown.

LH: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...lufthansa.html
LX: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...nce_swiss.html
LOL ! Indeed !

Nice CC bonuses in North America add to this experience as well !
Old May 28, 2010, 7:04 am
AHN

Well, yes, but not by flying. You 'earn' by buying, sharing, dining, shopping etc etc
Yeah, I saw the sharing promo, but thought one might earn some miles by flying before sharing within the family. I see the error of my ways now.

I guess BD is the program to go for once I hit 100K on M&M, since 95% of my travel is intra-Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.