Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by hch
Michelle, any idea how to volunteer for VDBs for sorting this out? I'm currently stranded in SFO. Given that this is not a too bad place to be I wouldn't actually mind staying a bit longer. Given that I'm HON my TA managed to put me on a very recent flight back, but I would not mind being VDBed if other passengers need to get home earlier. The problem is just that it seems alsmost impossible to get VDBed as a HON to start with, and also generally impossible without actually going to the airport and wasting a lot of time there.
No criticism, but that paragraph could have been spoken by a Windtalker and I'd have just as easy a time parsing it.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
No criticism, but that paragraph could have been spoken by a Windtalker and I'd have just as easy a time parsing it.
Made perfect sense to me...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by hch
Michelle, any idea how to volunteer for VDBs for sorting this out? I'm currently stranded in SFO. Given that this is not a too bad place to be I wouldn't actually mind staying a bit longer. Given that I'm HON my TA managed to put me on a very recent flight back, but I would not mind being VDBed if other passengers need to get home earlier. The problem is just that it seems alsmost impossible to get VDBed as a HON to start with, and also generally impossible without actually going to the airport and wasting a lot of time there.
I would be willing to VDB for YVR-FRA as well if it helps to get people home that really have to go. I have time until Friday before I really have to be home.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Saw the Wolf on heute journal: he pretty much stated that they (LH and other german airlines) think the concentration of the ash over their area of operations is well mixed and not strong enough to do harm.

Tomorrow the DLR aircraft will take measurements. Lets see if the politicians have the guts to make decisions. Ramsauer's taped interview was pathetic. He behaved as if the airlines were trying to make money at the expenses of security
Ramsauer seemed to get p****d in his defensive role. At 'Brennpunkt' he even got pretty arrogant and aggressive in his response towards LH's spokesman Mr. Walther ("...I usually speak to your CEO only...")
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Saw the Brennpunkt too. Ramsauer made a complete ... of himself there. The saving grace on the heute journal interview for him was that it was taped without any comments from LH. The Wolf would have made mincemeat of him Ramsauer was repeating the word safety as if he was the only one thinking of it. His role will be over in less than 4 years, the airlines stand to loose far more if they compromise safety
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Saw the Wolf on heute journal: he pretty much stated that they (LH and other german airlines) think the concentration of the ash over their area of operations is well mixed and not strong enough to do harm.

Tomorrow the DLR aircraft will take measurements. Lets see if the politicians have the guts to make decisions. Ramsauer's taped interview was pathetic. He behaved as if the airlines were trying to make money at the expenses of security
Here is the Heute link (19:00):
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/haupt...ion/startseite

Heute Journal (22:00) link will be posted later.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
UK airspace closed till 1900 BST (1800 UTC) Monday 19 April.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:57 pm
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Official LH Real Person
First post updated - OS canceled those flights today they thought they would operate.

Also I will check on the VDB thing, if it can be done away from the station due to exceptional circumstances. Under normal conditions as you all know this is not possible as DBC is issued at the station and comes from their budget... but in cases like this if people are willing to volunteer ahead it would save also resources for LH at the stations to deal with others who insist to travel.

Let me see if I can find a solution.

UPDATED THOUGHT: This may not be a workable solution until flight ops resume mostly normal. Reason is if we pay out DBC to you and then the flight is later canceled anyway that's a financial problem... but I am talking to station coordination and I will see what their thoughts are and let you know. In any case we appreciate your generosity

Last edited by LHrelate; Apr 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm Reason: updated
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN; CX DM; DL PM; Hyatt GL
Originally Posted by peter42
@Michelle First of all and again many thanks for your great support for all the stranded passengers!

But I have a question regarding the hotel accommodation for stranded LH passenger, which they are entitled to according to the EU 261 - we have several reports on the German VFT board, that LH in NA refuses to offer accommodation - how can this happen?
US SEN line told me today that they are not able to arrange accommodation anymore, but I should go ahead and book "something reasonable" myself and would "in all likelihood" be able to claim it back later.

btw, the line was easy to reach and people exceptionally nice. big thanks for that in these times!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:19 pm
hch

Originally Posted by LHrelate
UPDATED THOUGHT: This may not be a workable solution until flight ops resume mostly normal. Reason is if we pay out DBC to you and then the flight is later canceled anyway that's a financial problem...
Totally understandable. Doing this on the day of the flight up to a few hours before the departure sounds perfectly fine to me.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:22 pm

hhmm, just a thought; anybody else feeling the same as like 8/9 years ago when somebody screamed "ANTHRAX" and authorities scared people to no end?
i remember well; i got stuck in GRU because some lady spilled some cosmetic powder in the restrooms of a 747..
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:24 pm

SEEKING ADVICE ON MISSING LUGGAGE
Arrived in Frankfurt on Thursday oblivious to what was going on - travelling MCO-FRA-BHX (all LH). When I understood the situation, I requested bags be retrieved rather than be automatically transferred to BHX - guessing that we may be in FRA a while (me, my wife and 2 young kids). I got one piece after an hour, then waited a further 3 hours but failed to get the other two pieces, so retired to the hotel LH had provided - incidentally, our experience of LH in FRA over this period was as positive as it could be (helped by being in C). Returned to airport next day and made the decision to hire a car and drive home to UK - an 26 hr experience.

Question 1 - how do I go about getting my two pieces of luggage (accepting that it may be days/weeks)
Question 2 - do I need to raise it as missing (or is it likely that they did not look "too hard" first time around)
Question 3 - do I need to tell LH that I am home and do not need my ticket

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martynh
Question 1 - how do I go about getting my two pieces of luggage (accepting that it may be days/weeks)
Question 2 - do I need to raise it as missing (or is it likely that they did not look "too hard" first time around)
Question 3 - do I need to tell LH that I am home and do not need my ticket
1. See question 2
2. YES. If you do not report it as delayed/missing then nobody is looking for it and the system is not tracing. Probably someone found it on hand at FRA and if they do not find a number where they can reach you in your PNR or on the tag it will simply sit there until you ask for it...
3. Under the circumstances it would be nice if you would cancel space you are still holding to free it up for others. If you did not use all of your ticket you may be entitled to a partial refund as well if it was all because of this ridiculous volcano.

Best,
Michelle
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vinonobile
US SEN line told me today that they are not able to arrange accommodation anymore, but I should go ahead and book "something reasonable" myself and would "in all likelihood" be able to claim it back later.

btw, the line was easy to reach and people exceptionally nice. big thanks for that in these times!
Agree with first point, sorry that I overlooked that question.

Glad they were easy to reach! First time I have heard that during the weekend
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sfosenkid
Apparently, KLM also conducted a test flight of its own Saturday night.

Here is the (Google translated) version of a Dutch article on this: http://tinyurl.com/klmtestflight

The CEO of KLM was on board the test plane!

I am beginning to think this might all just be Swine Flu II, and we could have been flying all along. "Ash Flu". Somebody order billions of vaccines, please.
Maybe... At the same time Finnish Air Force reports significant ash damage to some F-18s last Friday, already before Finnish airspace was closed. A small handful of successful test flights only proves that you are not going to crash every time, they don't prove that there is no problem, ever, anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.