Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: LH SEN; CX DM; DL PM; Hyatt GL
Originally Posted by DelSen
What my concern was is quite simple - LH got me on a plane and not my bags - Do i get compensation in any way or not?
I agree that we can look at individual cases calmly, and not compare them to the troubles others are having (me being stuck, too, like so many).

afaik, under NORMAL circumstances, LH will compensate you 50% for durable goods (e.g. you buy a suit) and 100% for non-durable (e.g. toiletries) that you need to buy, up to a total of 1100EUR. Given that you could fly, but your luggage not, that should apply -- but who knows these days! I would also say that there is a chance they can credibly claim that this was out of their control under the current circumstances, so you would be left with nothing (except from your personal travel insurance maybe).

That said, it would NOT be appropriate to clog up the LH service lines with this kind of request now, but leave them to do their best to move people around. Just buy what you need and try to claim it later when the dust (ash?!) has settled down.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LHrelate
OPERATIONAL:

* For passengers beginning their journey, change of fare bucket/compartment is not permitted - CHANGED FROM V.3
Does anybody know if adding an extra segment [and a bit of rerouting] would be permitted [in order to stay in the same fare bucket]?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Germany has now allowed overflying if you are above FL 200 (20 k ft), no landing:

Code:
VALIDITY: 2010/04/17 1200 UNTIL 2010/04/19 1000 ESTIMATED
IN RESPECT TO THE CURRENT SIGMET FOR GERMAN AIRSPACE, DFS WILL
ISSUE IFR CLEARANCES FOR FLIGHTS AT OR ABOVE FL200.
PILOTS ARE REMINDED THAT IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT SIGMET THE
AIRSPACE BELOW FL200 IS CONSIDERED TO BE CONTAMINATED WITH
VOLCANICASH.
IFR FLIGHTS HAVE TO BE CONDUCTED ON PILOTS OWN RISK, SHOULD THE
NECESSITY OCCUR TO DESCEND BELOW FL200 DUE TO ACFT MALFUNCTIONS.
DFS GERMANY
VFR (visual below 10 000 ft) is allowed, which LH used to reposition stranded aircraft in MUC back to FRA. No dust at those levels, so no effects.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:59 am
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Official LH Real Person
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Does anybody know if adding an extra segment [and a bit of rerouting] would be permitted [in order to stay in the same fare bucket]?
Rerouting within reasonable geographic area may be offered case-by-case.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Germany has now allowed overflying if you are above FL 200 (20 k ft), no landing:

Code:
VALIDITY: 2010/04/17 1200 UNTIL 2010/04/19 1000 ESTIMATED
IN RESPECT TO THE CURRENT SIGMET FOR GERMAN AIRSPACE, DFS WILL
ISSUE IFR CLEARANCES FOR FLIGHTS AT OR ABOVE FL200.
PILOTS ARE REMINDED THAT IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT SIGMET THE
AIRSPACE BELOW FL200 IS CONSIDERED TO BE CONTAMINATED WITH
VOLCANICASH.
IFR FLIGHTS HAVE TO BE CONDUCTED ON PILOTS OWN RISK, SHOULD THE
NECESSITY OCCUR TO DESCEND BELOW FL200 DUE TO ACFT MALFUNCTIONS.
DFS GERMANY
VFR (visual below 10 000 ft) is allowed, which LH used to reposition stranded aircraft in MUC back to FRA. No dust at those levels, so no effects.
seems a bit risky ?
what happens when cabin pressure fails? Engine failure at descent ?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: UA: MM
Question about *A Upgrade Reward

I'm flying on LH443 DTW-FRA tomorrow (Sunday). So far it is listed as on schedule. I've upgraded this segment under *A using CO OnePass Miles. If the flight is impacted, how do I insure that the miles are returned to my OnePass account?

TIA
DLM
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by dmunz
I'm flying on LH443 DTW-FRA tomorrow (Sunday). So far it is listed as on schedule. I've upgraded this segment under *A using CO OnePass Miles. If the flight is impacted, how do I insure that the miles are returned to my OnePass account?

TIA
DLM
I'd assume that this is something you need to take up with CO.
I doubt your flight will operate though ?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:03 am
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Official LH Real Person
Just saw that OAL have not given their OK to rebook pax from canceled LH ops to their ops (if any). LH faces financial penalties if this is done (unless it is already permitted by ticketed fare rules).

There is the logic to the rule; just wanted to share. There just came in another update and I will edit first post in a few minutes after I digest it (burp).

UPDATE: As of 15:46 ET all is status quo as outlined in first post in this thread.

Last edited by LHrelate; Apr 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm Reason: status update 15:46 ET
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by DelSen
You, sir, are stupid beyond belief.

My trip the the US is purely for business wherein without a single piece of underwear, clothing, toiletries and most importantly SAMPLES which are somewhere in Europe - I am simply wasting time and money here - Hotels & Cars are prepaid for in 5 cities.

Irrespective of the clothing costs, my main concern is the ridiculous loss of business i will have to deal with without samples.

What my concern was is quite simple - LH got me on a plane and not my bags - Do i get compensation in any way or not? Whatever the amount may be, will not recover my expenses here or loss of business - but I am curious to know of the procedure.

As regards to everybody whose trips got canceled, I would rather be in their place (back home) than stuck in Limbo wasting money without any foreseeable agenda!

PS: Except the about to be married couple - that is just sad!
Everyone's tensions are a little high right now, throughout much of the world. In the big scope of things, your situation is no better nor any worse than what anyone else is facing!

Now is not the time to lay claim to business expenses or loss of income. Your "problems" and similar issues for 10000s of people throughout the world will take months or years to sort out. In the meantime, the priority for airline staff around the world is getting people home .... not worrying about lost bags. To expect anything else is selfish (I won't use the other "s"-word you used in your first sentence).
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
seems a bit risky ?
what happens when cabin pressure fails? Engine failure at descent ?
Not quite. Engine might get damage. Immediate failure unlikely.

Sounds a not unreasonable compromise to me?

BTW, looks like LH got a plane stranded at YYC? FRA-bound flight on monday still listed as "on schedule," while inbound flight shows canceled.

(Rebooked on 415 on monday...)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Not to make light of the situation faced by tens of 1000s of people .... but when you are this rich, grounded flights don't leave you stranded! (In German only, but the video does not require much translation.)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
BTW, looks like LH got a plane stranded at YYC? FRA-bound flight on monday still listed as "on schedule," while inbound flight shows canceled.
I think most of the US stations have some airplanes hanging in.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:44 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Which neighbouring countries of Germany have opened up their airspace for overflying? Otherwise this seems rather pointless...
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Which neighbouring countries of Germany have opened up their airspace for overflying? Otherwise this seems rather pointless...

Southern half of France among others?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Southern half of France among others?
except that southern half of france is not adjacent to germany....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.