Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is "Z" fare upgradeable?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Is "Z" fare upgradeable?

So sorry to post this question.... it probably has been answered many times... It a "Z" fare upgradable to first with either e-VOUCHERS or miles? Thanks in advance.....
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by RTW4
So sorry to post this question.... it probably has been answered many times... It a "Z" fare upgradable to first with either e-VOUCHERS or miles? Thanks in advance.....
A LH Z-fare on LH metall is upgradable.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:56 am

If bought in Europe , Yes .
Not so sure if bought in USA
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:18 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seat 1a
If bought in Europe , Yes .
Not so sure if bought in USA
That's what I thought.

Display your booking in your account and click the "Upgrade" button if there is one at the bottom of the screen. If an upgrade is possible you should see radio buttons asking you to choose between miles or e-Vouchers.

Or you may see the message as I have just seen: Your booking is not eligible for upgrade (119405)

I think this is an LH IT problem because the message seems to come and go. Or possibly LH Revenue Management messing things around.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:44 am
Original Poster

So the answer is still a bit unclear.. I am US based... therefore , am I to understand that the Z fare is NOT upgradeable for US based flyers?...
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Depends on the exact fare.

Some Z fares are upgradable ex US, some are not. Last summer business promotion was upgradable, it really depends.

The summer promotion that is currently going on, looks like it is upgradable, as LH US states if the fare is not upgradable (at least in my experience).

Best thing, call LH US.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: MM,flyer AA,UA, LH Senator
Upgraded a Z fare Frankfort to Chicago using 50,000 M&M points It should not be a problem

z
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I have never used a LH Z fare that was not upgradable
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:48 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Same here. This topic comes up once every year usually because of some strange messages in UA bookings.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I am in the same position.
The only difference in Z fares I have seen is that there have been some Z fares which are changeable with no fee, some with 100 EUR fee, some with 200 EUR fee, some not changeable.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:56 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW4
So the answer is still a bit unclear.. I am US based... therefore , am I to understand that the Z fare is NOT upgradeable for US based flyers?...
Originally Posted by volta
Depends on the exact fare.

Some Z fares are upgradable ex US, some are not. Last summer business promotion was upgradable, it really depends.

The summer promotion that is currently going on, looks like it is upgradable, as LH US states if the fare is not upgradable (at least in my experience).

Best thing, call LH US.
You just have to look at the fare rules. The problem is with the fact that UA published the ex-USA fares for LH and put in their own crap :

Z CLASS FARES ARE NOT UPGRADABLE TO FIRST CLASS. NEITHER MILEAGE NOR CERTIFICATES MAY BE USED TO UPGRADE THIS FARE. PASSENGERS WISHING TO HAVE THE OPTION TO UPGRADE SHOULD PURCHASE C OR D CLASS PER THE RULES OF THOSE SPECIFIC FARES.
This seems to have gone away lately; I think it is a result of CO, but now Z can be upgraded on UA with miles and $ also.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 1:30 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by FIKMM
Upgraded a Z fare Frankfort to Chicago using 50,000 M&M points It should not be a problem
Frankfort, KY?

Originally Posted by Ari
You just have to look at the fare rules. The problem is with the fact that UA published the ex-USA fares for LH and put in their own crap :
This seems to have gone away lately; I think it is a result of CO, but now Z can be upgraded on UA with miles and $ also.
Review of the fare rules is mandatory here. At the airport it may be a different beast. Although I had c/i agents who suspiciously said "Let's see if it is upgradeable" when I was booked on ZSPEC ex FRA, I managed to u/g a dirt-cheap non-upgradeable JFK-FRA Xmas special booked via UA and credited to MP some years ago. All u/gs were done with miles. YMMV.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:29 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Never been turned down for an upgrade from Z and I am US based. In fact, I just upgraded a LX Z fare to F with 2 Vouchers for tomorrow ZRH-LAX
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Some ex-USA Z fares are indeed not upgradeable. The upgrade feature is even greyed out on the LH checkin software. rcs should be able to shed some light into this, as he experienced this too IIRC?

I have not seen any other Z fares issued outside the US which are not upgradeable, so I guess it's only a US thing.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 'Z is not upgradable' text was put into all Z fare rules when UA did all the fares ex USA. Now CO is in charge, so things are changing... rcs had talked about the 'new' rule asking GAs to check the fare rules, but after some initial excitement that routine has pretty much vanished at US checkin desks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.