Search

Connecting through VIE (and duty free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Connecting through VIE (and duty free)

All-

I am flying DXB-VIE-AMS tomorrow. Is it safe to buy duty-free liquor in DXB, or would this be confiscated in VIE when going through a security check?

I know that if it's in a sealed bag, it's ok, but this might be intra-EU only.

Please let me know if you have any experience.

Regards, and thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:33 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Yes, it will almost certainly be confiscated. Check an earlier thread on a similar topic.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:36 am

Unfortunately you cannot take your spirits with you: Even if sealed, it´s still non-EU you are arriving from. Your liquors have to be sealed within the EU or on board of an EU-aircraft.

regards,

Originally Posted by rwSEA
All-

I am flying DXB-VIE-AMS tomorrow. Is it safe to buy duty-free liquor in DXB, or would this be confiscated in VIE when going through a security check?

Regards, and thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:46 pm

deleted

Last edited by sentom; Jan 31, 2010 at 12:47 pm Reason: wrong info
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
All-

Regards, and thanks!
Which airline are you flying ? If it is OS then you can buy onbord, as it is an EU airline -(this is probably more expensive than DXB duty-free). Make sure that the crew seals the bag properly if you do buy onbord.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:59 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Or if you have the time at VIE, go landside and check it in as checked baggage as I had to do once at FRA. (It was bought on board a LH flight and in a sealed bag but security wouldn't let me take it as a carry-on). I had to put the sealed plastic bag in another bag which I fortunately had with me.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
All-

Regards, and thanks!
they wont allow u for sure..
In the past years, I had many flights from zagreb (not in EU) to India via Vienna and I normally found the prices at Zag duty free much cheaper than vienna.. i used to buy the stuff at zag and then check those stuff in another bag in vienna since the security staff wont allow it.. I made it a practice to carry a small bag with me for those stuff and used to check in tht bag in vienna
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks all for the advice. I am travelling on OS. Unfortunately I have a short layover so no time to check anything. Guess I'll just have to see if there's anything of interest in VIE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.