Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new OS business upgrade option

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: LH/OS SEN, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I talked to a GA in VIE recently, and she told me that on some days, there were "promotional" prices (obviously depending on the load factor). But this was on one of the first days when this was advertised (mid-November), so no word about no additional miles. This, besides the prices, makes it very unlikely that anybody will go for it, especially when considering they had promos where the full package was available for 999.- to 1.199.-, and will so again most probably as long as their C-class has low loads.

Thank you folks, nice try!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:38 am

i was offered an upgrade VIE to LHR for €100 today when I used online checkin. Base fare was S (very cheap ticket).

I didn't take it as the plane looked pretty empty. Would be seriously tempted for a busy Friday afternoon flight though.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: TK Gold, LH Silver, RAM Blue, KL/AF Blue
took up os's offer but won't again

hi,

a couple of days ago, i accepted austrian airlines' upgrade offer for 100 euro, when checking in online from istanbul to copenhagen via vienna. i was most interested in getting that extra space/calm/privacy, as i had had a somewhat strenuous trip from central asia the same day.

i got what i wanted on the first leg of my trip: c cabin practically empty, attentive service. (the legendary catering, however, did not live up to its reputation in this case - i was served a burnt and stodgy lasagne).

here are the drawbacks: the upgrade is not valid for both legs of a trip with a layover, only the first one. one does not get a miles credit for the business class flown.
for the same amount of money (swiss, ana, asiana), one gets a) an upgrade for all legs involved in a one-way trip, business class luggage allowance and miles. os's offer is in my opinion not competitive.

all in all, i don't think i will repeat this experience.

best, g
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:31 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I was offered just now BRU-VIE and VIE-FRA to upgrade at EUR 99 per segment. I will not go for it. However, I must say that there are no indications that you don't get any miles for business. That said, there isn't anything that says you would get any extra miles.

I am checking in on the Swedish site and the language is English:

"Conditions:

This upgrading package includes access to Austrian Business Class Lounges (where available) and Business Class Service on board the flights you select.
Please note the upgrade charge is non-refundable.
I have read and accept the terms & conditions."

Beyond those listed terms & conditions I don't see any others.

Is it different in German?

Although I don't think that the absence of any mention means they would have to credit business miles, I think this is an area where the customer's expectations could easily diverge from what will actually be delivered.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:33 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I stand corrected. On the first splash screen there is a one liner on the bottom about mileage:

"Fee is not refundable; Mileage, free bag allowance & ticket restrictions remain unchanged"

I overlooked it the first time although I was looking for it. I am sure I am not the only person that will miss that.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: TK Gold, LH Silver, RAM Blue, KL/AF Blue
cbellero,
no, you are not the only one who didn't notice. it's quite unconspicuous. and there definitely is no sign of the upgrade only covering one segment in my opinion.
cheers.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OLCI today offered a 99 EUR upgrade from a fully flexible Y fare for the segment VIE/BUD. It noted no bonus miles etc. Declined. The fare difference on this 40 minute flight is 48 EUR should one decide to book in C vs. Y.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
OLCI today offered a 99 EUR upgrade from a fully flexible Y fare for the segment VIE/BUD. It noted no bonus miles etc. Declined. The fare difference on this 40 minute flight is 48 EUR should one decide to book in C vs. Y.
i had the same a few weeks ago on an award FRA-SZG...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by sentom
i had the same a few weeks ago on an award FRA-SZG...
Great offer !
I had the offer recently on INN-VIE-BCN - € 99.-, only for the segment VIE-BCN, INN-VIE was greyed out and "not available". Declined as the underlying ticket was € 79.- for the whole return journey (redticket promo and additional promo code). I also wrote customer services a mail to let them know that this offer is not interesting at all (besides there were some other things that went not really well on this flight) - just got the usual generic answer "thank you for your valuable input, we have forwarded this to the product manager". Let's see if they pull it due to lack of demand or whether they enhance it ... hope dies last ...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by martin_
Great offer !
I had the offer recently on INN-VIE-BCN - € 99.-, only for the segment VIE-BCN, INN-VIE was greyed out and "not available". Declined as the underlying ticket was € 79.- for the whole return journey (redticket promo and additional promo code). I also wrote customer services a mail to let them know that this offer is not interesting at all (besides there were some other things that went not really well on this flight) - just got the usual generic answer "thank you for your valuable input, we have forwarded this to the product manager". Let's see if they pull it due to lack of demand or whether they enhance it ... hope dies last ...
i don't understand why they're not just offer C miles as well, costs them next to nothing and i certainly would take the offer every now and then. a redticket upgraded like this on check in would definitely be worth it...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by sentom
i don't understand why they're not just offer C miles as well, costs them next to nothing and i certainly would take the offer every now and then. a redticket upgraded like this on check in would definitely be worth it...
Yes, in terms of cost vs. miles, this would be OK, but rather if they include both sectors. Upgrade of the intl sector only would result in the following calculation:

Original Ticket in T: 4 x 125 miles + exec bonus = 625 miles; cost € 99.-
Upgrade of both intl sectors: 2 x 125 miles + exec bonus = 312 miles
2 x 2000 miles + exec bonus = 5.000 miles
Total 5.312 miles, cost € 297.-

Upgrade of all sectors (I dare to dream): 2 x 1.500 + 2 x 2.000 + exec = 8.750 miles for € 297.-
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
This is starting to sound like the UA buy-up upgrade thread!

(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-new-post.html)
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:44 am

Hi folks!

I would not upgrade on short- oder medium-distance-flights. I upgraded for a flight from vie to jfk for € 499,--. If think that is a good deal (the Y was full).

Best regards

Stefan
Old May 27, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Is there lounge access with these online check-in upgrades???
Old May 27, 2010, 11:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes. This is not SK where an upgrade prevents you from using the lounge if you are not elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.