Wiki Posts
Search

LAX or SNA for Huntington Beach?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
LAX or SNA for Huntington Beach?

My client is right off the 405 in Huntington Beach, 12 miles north of SNA and 20 miles south of LAX.

I haven't been to LA in years, and so am looking for some guidance about which airport would be better.

In favor of LAX:
- more flights from Newark
- some flights on 757-200's which have power to the seats
- the flights seem to get diverted less often
- there are upgrades available for my dates on LAX but not on SNA.

But, I'm guessing that the whole car return/shuttle to terminal/security thing will be longer at LAX than at SNA. Plus, I'll be driving back at noon on a Thursday, so traffic could be nasty.

What's the consensus here? Go for the upgrades (LAX) or avoid the traffic (SNA)?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:46 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

Yes, SNA would be better. But at noon on Thursday the trip from LAX is likely to take only about 35-45 minutes. The biggest difference is that the rental car facility is just a quick walk from the teminal at SNA but a shuttle bus at LAX.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
HB seems a whole lot further than only 20 miles South of LAX - is that correct? What are the times? If you're flying in or out during morning of afternoon/evening rush hour, then hands down SNA. If late morning to mid-day, LAX would be fine - love those upgrades!!

Last edited by brendamc; Jul 18, 2007 at 12:06 pm
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Woops. 30 miles. http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=15...6919&z=11&om=1

Arriving Sunday ~8pm, leaving Thursday ~3pm.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jg70124
Arriving Sunday ~8pm, leaving Thursday ~3pm.
It takes about 1 hour from the gate to engine start on a rental car at LAX if you have preferred service and do not have to wait in the lines. Return is about 1/2 hour from turn in to the terminal. I travel the 405 daily from HB to LAX and the traffic going north into LAX starts bunching up just past the 105 on a nominal day at 1pm when you would be heading to LAX for your departure. I would count on an hour drive to LAX at that time on Thursday but give yourself 1.5 hours if you can. Your Sunday drive should be no problem.

If you fly into SNA the rental car times are half the LAX times and the freeways are pretty clear.

If it were me, I would think the traffic hastles are minimal compared to risking an E- seat on a 319 for a 5 hour flight that would probably be delayed or diverted to ONT. Good luck! and enjoy your stay!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rocketman93455
If it were me, I would think the traffic hastles are minimal compared to risking an E- seat on a 319 for a 5 hour flight that would probably be delayed or diverted to ONT.
Well, I waited too long and now there aren't any upgrades on LAX either. In fact there are only middles available whether I go to LAX or SNA. Argh.

Are a lot flights diverted going into SNA? I didn't see any for the last few weeks on flightaware.com
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
SNA is a lot easier all around...but doesn't have the flight options of LAX. sna to hb at the worst is 30 min...at least 3 times that from lax during rush hour. non rush hour...10 min sna-hb and 30 min lax-hb. anymore, it seems rush hour or construction or a caltrans sweeper train can hit on almost any day and any time of day. i'd do sna in a heartbeat if I had the option...
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
sorry, missed your most recent post. sna traffic has been increasing a bit, but nothing significant and has not been from lax. ont is growing and seems to be getting the lax spill-over since it's owned by the same entity (sna is not). ont is an option for you if it offers better flights...about 45 min. non-rush hour. san is also an option...but about 1 1/2 hr at non-rush hour.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which airline are you flying?

I'd take SNA over LAX, for sure. So much easier to deal with, and a LOT closer too. From most places in HB, you can clearly see the planes landing and taking off from SNA.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are a lot flights diverted going into SNA? I didn't see any for the last few weeks on flightaware.com
Having landed at SNA probably 50x/year for the past 4 years, it's never happened to me.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Sna

I visit HB occasionally, and SNA is definitely preferred by my friends who lives out there. In fact they would rather go to ONT than LAX.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 5:32 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Having landed at SNA probably 50x/year for the past 4 years, it's never happened to me.
Exactly. Unless the OP is on the last flight in and somehow got delayed past 11:00PM, the chances are slim to none.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:00 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
My client is right off the 405 in Huntington Beach, 12 miles north of SNA and 20 miles south of LAX.

What's the consensus here? Go for the upgrades (LAX) or avoid the traffic (SNA)?
Neither. JetBlue from JFK-LGB (a hop and a skip from HB along the 405, or you could take side streets).
Old Jul 14, 2007, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
Sna

I live in HB, and work 2 exits past LAX. I often choose to drive the 45 mins.(non-rush hour) to SNA after work for a flight, then deal with the potential hassles of LAX. Unless, I need a red-eye to JFK.

There should be no traffic issues from HB to SNA at that time of the day on a Thursday.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbstone
Neither. JetBlue from JFK-LGB (a hop and a skip from HB along the 405, or you could take side streets).
Now that's a tempting suggestion...

I usually fly CO from EWR - I'm elite, and EWR is closer to my house. (EWR is usually 30 minutes and never more than 45. JFK can be anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes, and there's no way to tell which it's going to be until you're sitting in traffic).

But that 34" seat pitch is awfully tempting, especially since JetBlue seems to be about 1/2 the price of CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.