Warning Prime Time Shuttle@ LAX- safety and fraudulent charge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning Prime Time Shuttle@ LAX- safety and fraudulent charge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:33 am

PrimeTime Shuttle service from LAX

I am so angry with this horrible company that I contacted the Travel Editor at the LA Times to see if I could interest them in writing an article about their terrible service and abuse of their customers. I would walk to LAX before ever considering using Prime Time for transportation. Buyer BEWARE!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by daph
Most large cities of the world have some type of public transportation to their international airport.
Let's see...

FlyAway service from LAX to Van Nuys, UCLA, and Union Station.

Free shuttle service to the Metro Green Line (G Shuttle)

Free shuttle service to the transit center in parking lot C (C Shuttle), where on can catch over 10 different METRO bus routes....plus buses from Culver City Bus Lines, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, and Torrance Transit.

While there is no direct rail connection at the airport, that's NOT the same as "no public transit."

...what about PAX from the Costa Mesa/Huntington Beach area?
(...you do realize that LAX isn't even in the same COUNTY as Costa Mesa/Huntington Beach....don't you? Your local airport is SNA 8-15 miles away, LAX is at least 30-40 miles away. If you want easy public transit there maybe you need Orange County to provide it...not Los Angeles.)

If you want to take public transit, let's try a sample routing...
From Adams and Magnolia (picked at random) in Huntington Beach, you could take the Orange County Bus 33 (FULLERTON PARK&RIDE) heading north to Magnolia & Westminster, transfer to the Orange County Bus 60 ( DOWNTOWN LONG BEACH) heading west to the Long Beach Transit mall, then transfer to METRO BUS 232 to LAX Lot C, where you'll ride the shuttle in to your terminal.
Yes, it will take 2-3 hours... But there *IS* public transit if you want to ride it.
For your own case...try www.metro.net which has a route planner. (although you may need to break it up into several stages as it isn't good at routes of more than 2 busses or trains)

Last edited by mlshanks; Mar 28, 2008 at 11:37 pm
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 2cheryl2
I am so angry with this horrible company that I contacted the Travel Editor at the LA Times to see if I could interest them in writing an article about their terrible service and abuse of their customers. I would walk to LAX before ever considering using Prime Time for transportation. Buyer BEWARE!
Could you provide details re: the problems you encountered? While we get that you're upset, not having details doesn't help in terms of buyer beware.

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
For whatever it's worth, here is my one and only experience with Prime Time in January or so of this year.

I needed to go downtown from LAX (with much luggage at a late hour, so FlyAway + Metro was not convenient), and I provided the driver with the cross streets instead of the actual address. He insisted on the actual address (I made one up that is close to the intersection I needed) and entered mine and every other passanger's address into his GPS. He reprogrammed the GPS after every stop, adding at least 2-3 minutes to every stop. Finally, he requested a fare that was higher than what was quoted to me by the dispatcher at the airport, explaining that he needs a tip.

So, not a horrible experience, but not a pleasant one either. I likely will not travel with Prime Time again any time soon.

On the other hand, my several experiences with SuperShuttle have been good. The drivers seem to know where they are going and charge exactly the quoted price (which is also published online) and allow the customer to choose to tip.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:36 am

Programs: UA gold
I've had one non-experience with SuperShuttle. I usually use Flyaway and the Gold Line to get back to Pasadena, but my flight was supposed to arrive at 11 PM and I didn't think I'd make the Gold Line before they closed for the night. So instead I made a reservation on SuperShuttle.

Well, that day (January 4, 2008 I believe) it was raining in LA and my flight (for other reasons) was delayed such that I arrived around 2AM. By the time I made it out of the terminal, the rain had slacked off and there was maybe a drizzle, if that. Waited around with 4 other (unrelated) people for a Pasadena Super Shuttle for 30 minutes. Finally, we called them and were told that due to inclement weather conditions they had canceled all Pasadena service.

Luckily the 4 of us split a cab fare and it cost about the same, but it was a while before I got home. They did apologize after I filed a BBB complaint, issued a refund, and sent a $25 gift certificate. Maybe if I'm ever arriving late again I'll use them.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:02 pm

Programs: ex-AA EXP, DL GM, ex-1k SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Ears perk up.

Are you saying there will be a shuttle from Irvine Metrolink to LAX?
That would be awsome if i was back on the west coast.

Alas im in NYC so getting to LGA JFK AND EWR is trivial.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:36 pm

I had an issue with Supershuttle on 3/29. I prepaid via priceline and the driver tried to make me pay again0 DOUBLE what I was charged on priceline! He said my prepaid recepit was not prepaid (it WAS) and was holding my luggage hostage until I got the help of an Anaheim police officer. The driver took my printout voucher and would not give it back, luckily I had another copy on me! Nothing about the fees came up until we got Anaheim hotel location from ONT. It was past midnite (3am my time) and I was dead tired! Driver went down the wrong way on a one way and also was stopped for swerving during trip!

On the return to the airport, I used Primetime and they were great. Driver was very nice and friendly. Charged just as promised (although I will be watching card for any other activity).

I was told that the supershuttle drivers are independent drivers and contract and some are very awful! I wonder if Primetime is the same way....
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:47 pm

prime time

DO NOT USE PRIME TIME!
My advice to anyone looking to go to, or get picked up at LAX, is under no circumstances use PrimeTime Shuttle!
I had booked a pickup at LAX and was it was charged on my credit card, but when I got into the shuttle the driver told me I had to pay more money than they quoted me and charged me. He said that it was his shuttle and he won't drive me for the agreed upon money. Then he kicked me out of the van after cursing at me.
It took PrimeTime Shuttle 1 1/2 hours to get me another shuttle.
Seems that PrimeTime Shuttle doesn't own their shuttles and the drivers can do whatever they want.
DO NOT USE PRIME TIME!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:40 pm

I've had hit-and-miss experiences with PT and SS. One good service is Karmel Shuttle, they tend to be oriented to Orange County but not exclusively so. Also they are locally owned and not a national franchise. My previous employer used them and nobody had a bad experience. (Now that I've said that I'm sure a bunch of horror stories will come flooding in!)

Flyaway Bus service started about a month ago (Nov 09) from the Irvine Amtrak station to LAX. There are 6 daily buses and OW fare is $25 which is a bit pricey IMO. It's less expensive from the south to take the train all the way to LA and use that Flyaway bus instead ($9 and runs 24 hours). Of course the Irvine service allows a cheaper option for South OC residents compared to a shuttle; long term parking is allowed at the station which is in a pretty safe office park. (We're talking about Irvine after all) Funny that startup of the Irvine service seemed imminent in the earlier posts almost 2 years ago!

Last edited by kenish; Jan 1, 2010 at 11:48 pm
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I find it hilarious that this thread rather clearly is complaining about service and safety issues with PrimeTime and it has PrimeTime ads all over it.

With public transport issues, shuttles are a way of life for a lot of LAX PAX. One decent service is Roadrunner, which serves Ventura County. The only problems with them are 1) Cost (unless you are going away at least a week, you might as well drive), 2) Pickup times that are WAY too early (you will usually get to your domestic flight 2.5 hours early). Otherwise, they are pretty good and don't insist on the freeway all the time, knowing that PCH is WAY better at rush hour.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by daph
Metrolink from Irvine would be a start but what about PAX from the Costa Mesa/Huntington Beach area? Most large cities of the world have some type of public transportation to their international airport. We're tired of paying over $55 each way.
Ummmm....
The CITY OF LOS ANGELES does have public transit to their airport. Not only are Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach not in the City of Los Angeles, they aren't even in the same county.

Costa Mesa is roughly 40 miles from LAX, while it is next door to John Wayne Airport. Not surprisingly, the local governmental agencies fund public transport to the latter...not the former.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by mlshanks
Ummmm....
The CITY OF LOS ANGELES does have public transit to their airport. Not only are Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach not in the City of Los Angeles, they aren't even in the same county.

Costa Mesa is roughly 40 miles from LAX, while it is next door to John Wayne Airport. Not surprisingly, the local governmental agencies fund public transport to the latter...not the former.
Yup. I use public transportation all the time to the airport. It beats parking fees and shuttle fees. Big Blue Bus is $0.75 to the airport!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
Just saw this last response. Sorry.
The only government funded public transportation from HB/Costa Mesa to SNA [John Wayne Airport] is on OCTA, the public bus. It stops at Macarthur, one looong block from the airport. You are supposed to then wait for another bus to take you that one block. What's wrong with this picture?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:04 am

Thumbs up shuttle2LAX.com - cheaper than Flyaway

Saw someone mention the Flyaway. Good service - yeah, but isn't it $25? And you still have to have someone drop you off or pay for parking.

There's a brand new service called shuttle2lax.com. I saw a billboard and just booked a reservation. $20 from your home (virtually anywhere) to LAX, $11 for additional passengers.

So I'm thinking $25 on Flyaway or $20 at my front door?!

I'll repost and let you know how it goes.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:07 am

PrimeTime the best way to go - I'm with you

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
I had an issue with Supershuttle on 3/29. I prepaid via priceline and the driver tried to make me pay again0 DOUBLE what I was charged on priceline! He said my prepaid recepit was not prepaid (it WAS) and was holding my luggage hostage until I got the help of an Anaheim police officer. The driver took my printout voucher and would not give it back, luckily I had another copy on me! Nothing about the fees came up until we got Anaheim hotel location from ONT. It was past midnite (3am my time) and I was dead tired! Driver went down the wrong way on a one way and also was stopped for swerving during trip!

On the return to the airport, I used Primetime and they were great. Driver was very nice and friendly. Charged just as promised (although I will be watching card for any other activity).

I was told that the supershuttle drivers are independent drivers and contract and some are very awful! I wonder if Primetime is the same way....
I'm with you ... Primetime is the way to go. Never used the blue guys, I've never had a problem with PT, so I am RED all the way, baby!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.