Airport Commission To Introduce Bogus "LA" Airport Names

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Boy, did I make the call back in Nov
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
To me, ONT sounds like the best shot of expanding to serve the greater LA area, especially now that it's A380-ready. Though for international flights, they should change the name to "Los Angeles-Ontario Int' Airport" to avoid confusion.
And does anyone remember this failed attempt at renaming John Wayne Airport?

'O.C.' airport idea doesn't fly
Friday, June 11 2004, 20:16 BST
By James Welsh, International Editor

A proposal to rename John Wayne International Airport in Orange County, CA after TV show The O.C. has been dropped, it was confirmed today.

The proposed name was The O.C. Airport - John Wayne Field, designed to associate the airport and the county more closely with the hit TV show. However, Orange County supervisor Chris Norby has dropped the idea after receiving a barrage of negative reaction.

Norby explained to the Los Angeles Times: "Let's just say it was a trial balloon. It crashed and burned."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds14686.html
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:23 pm

Here in DC we have Washington Dulles International Ariport and Baltimore Washington International Airports both between 30-40 miles from downtown Washington. I have no problem with this because they both serve the "Washington Metropolitan Area." People who live in Herndon near IAD read the Washington Post and watch the Washington TV Stations and are Redskins fans.

The same situation applies for EWR and HPN in New York.

SNA and ONT are part of the "Greater Los Angeles Area" aren't they? Now I've never been to Palmdale but I have heard it is out there.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
A lot of people from afar don't really think about options when flying to the greater LA area. When going to Burbank or OC, a lot of people will fly into LAX because of ignorance of alternatives. LAX is much less convenient than the airports getting the new LA sub-designation when traveling to much of the metro area.

Those of us who live in SoCal forget that much of the country (let alone the world) thinks Disney is "in LA". The new sub-designations are therefore a great idea. What is also needed is a generic airport code like LON or NYC.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
To me, ONT sounds like the best shot of expanding to serve the greater LA area, especially now that it's A380-ready. Though for international flights, they should change the name to "Los Angeles-Ontario Int' Airport" to avoid confusion.
As I understand it, ONT will only be an A-380 site for cargo & emergency diversion. None of the airlines currently serving the airport (other than UPS) have expressed any interest in flying A-380s, and there are no plans for any terminal set up to handle two-level loading & unloading.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
You'd better hope that they succeed. If they don't, LAX has to close 6 gates in 2010 and 2 gates per year thereafter, as part of the settlement with the cities around LAX. One way or another, some of the existing airline traffic at LAX will be diverted to the other airports, even if they are 50 miles away.
Is this still true, many years after this posting?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by fredman
Is this still true, many years after this posting?
It would appear so:

The gate cap in the Stipulated Settlement requires that by December 31, 2015, the number of active gates at LAX will be no more than 153, with certain exceptions for peak passenger periods, and only if the total number of annual passengers exceeds 75 million. The MSC North Project is the first phase of the MSC Program that can accommodate up to 11 gates, and will adhere to the provisions of the Stipulated Settlement. At all times during the build-out of the MSC North Concourse and the MSC Program, LAX will be in compliance with the Stipulated Settlement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.