Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Commission To Introduce Bogus "LA" Airport Names

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:00 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Same thing happened with MHT a year or so ago... they officially changed their name to "Manchester Boston Regional Airport"... the distance between them? According to mapquest, about 52.8 miles.... yeah, REALLY convenient!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:02 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Well, it is a good idea! For the case of Ontario, particularly: that airport is going to grow.
Guess the complaint is not that Ontario will grow, but that naming it L.A. anything is a lie since it is no where near L.A.

Kinda like those hotels in West L.A. that call themselves something like Beverly Hills Gardens or in New Jersey that call themselves Manhattan View Hotel.

A good way to fool first time visitors. Note to L.A. World Airports: truth is good, lies are bad.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Guess the complaint is not that Ontario will grow, but that naming it L.A. anything is a lie since it is no where near L.A.

Kinda like those hotels in West L.A. that call themselves something like Beverly Hills Gardens or in New Jersey that call themselves Manhattan View Hotel.

A good way to fool first time visitors. Note to L.A. World Airports: truth is good, lies are bad.

It lies just outside the county: it's almost LA! Just like Newark is nearly in New York.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Of course, Ontario is closer to downtown LA than Palmdale...
...even thought the latter *IS* in LA County.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It lies just outside the county: it's almost LA! Just like Newark is nearly in New York.
Newark is easy. Try getting downtown from JFK. Lets not even pretend to talk about taking the train from out there. How many hours is that?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:29 pm

I've taken the subway/Airtrain from the Upper West Side to and from both JFK and EWR. Neither are conveninent, to say the least.

For JFK, I had to take the B/C to the B/D to the E, then transfer to the airtrain, and sometimes transfer AGAIN to get to the right terminal. And don't get me started on how confusing that last part is. Try doing that whole trip with a suitcase. On the way back, it was the weekend, and there were service problems with the E train, so I had to transfer to another train, and with the weekend wait times for the D, I just gave up once I made it to CPW and took a bus.

For Newark, its a bit easier to head to Penn Station (2/3) and catch an NJT train, transfer to the airtrain. On the way back, I always manage to just miss a train and end up waiting for 30-50min for the next one back to Penn station.

Easiest by far- LGA, a direct bus that comes pretty often!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by mbstone

Now, we on FT will get questions like, "I booked our family's Disneyland vacation via LA Palmdale Airport. How much is the cab fare?" and, "Do they rent beach chairs at LA Ontario Airport?"
C'mon folks. How many out there are ignorant enough to book a flight without knowing how far to their final destination they will be? I don't think some unsuspecting family will book a flight to LA/Ontario thinking that they will be landing close to Santa Monica and ready to hit the beach. These days, travelers are more savvy. Now, those 'Disneyland area' hotels that claim to be in LA or near the beach are what bother me. LOTS of unsuspecting families end up in dumpy hotels based on the ads promising much more.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lo2e
Same thing happened with MHT a year or so ago... they officially changed their name to "Manchester Boston Regional Airport"... the distance between them? According to mapquest, about 52.8 miles.... yeah, REALLY convenient!
According to article I read recently (that was dealing w/ LA changes but mentioned the one above), Manchester Boston's passenger traffic HAS increased since they made the change.

I consider all of the LA airports mentioned to fall into the "Greater Los Angeles Area", so adding LA in front of their names doesn't bother me.

And if we get questions about renting beach chairs at ONT, we'll answer them cuz that's what us helpful FTers do. And hey mbstone, if you want to be a mod of this forum, you might want to lighten up a bit on the tourists

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And hey mbstone, you might want to lighten up a bit on the tourists
Point Well Taken. I will beat up on LAWA instead.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mbstone
Point Well Taken. I will beat up on LAWA instead.
LOL...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
Guess I'm jaded

this doesn't even register on my outrage-meter. Airport naming is really just marketing; John Wayne? Bob Hope? Burbank-Glendale? Oh really.

As others have pointed out, in the internet age there's no excuse for not researching airports like you would hotels and tourist sites. And frankly, depending on what you're up to, it could easily make more sense to use LA/Ontario instead of LAX. The tourist folks run radio ads to that effect quite often.

And it's still not as shifty as what all the new budget airlines in Europe do when they claim to fly to "Berlin" or "Amsterdam" and end up hours away at little more than a shack near a runway.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:52 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by phred
And it's still not as shifty as what all the new budget airlines in Europe do when they claim to fly to "Berlin" or "Amsterdam" and end up hours away at little more than a shack near a runway.
IMHO it is about the same thing. Thinking you are going to L.A. and ending up in Palmdale or Ontario is not nice.

Why not call it Palm Sprints/Ontario Airport. @:-) Isn't Ontario closer to PS than L.A.?

Weren't any of the Commisioners Boy (or Girl) Scouts?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
My bp says NYC-Kennedy, or NYC-La Guardia
Of course, the difference is that those airports are actually in New York. Does your BP say NYC-Newark?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by SJC1K
Of course, the difference is that those airports are actually in New York. Does your BP say NYC-Newark?
That's what Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia said in 1934 when he refused to get off the plane in Newark.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:49 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Why not call it Palm Sprints/Ontario Airport. @:-) Isn't Ontario closer to PS than L.A.?

Weren't any of the Commisioners Boy (or Girl) Scouts?
No, Ontario Airport is 39 miles from downtown LA....and 71 miles from downtown Palm Springs.

...and yes, I WAS a Boy Scout (years ago), and do know how to use Mapquest.

Ready to turn in your Map and Compass Merit Badge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.